Should ebooks be free or at least much cheaper?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Luisjane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Should ebooks be free or at least much cheaper?

Post by Luisjane »

I also agree that eBook shouldn't be free since it was less manufactured and only publish as electronic book which means it doesn't need raw materials to be read by people. The prices of each eBook really differ from who is the author and the popularity of or the wide market of a certain eBook e.g (H.P), we all know the cost and we know who's the audience, I think big comp such amzn should lessen the price I was just lucky to to be able to subscribe to a site for $1.99 and download 10 eBooks =), i think that's the best offer I've seen so far that's why I agree that ebook should be much cheaper that paperback.
TCC Edwards
Currently Reading: The Punch Escrow
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcc-edwards.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by TCC Edwards »

I have to agree that eBooks shouldn't be free and I wish authors would stop giving away so many books for free. Many indie authors like to release a free prequel novella to get people interested in their work, and that might work for some people, but free eBooks can actually hurt all new authors.

a) If the book is free but has an ugly cover or uninspiring byline, it perpetuates the idea that all free books are crap, or that anybody and their dog can just whip up a book and toss it into Amazon.

b) If the free book looks good but turns out to be poorly written, that's worse in a way. It gives the idea that a free book is just a waste of time.

c) A free book that is actually *good* isn't that good for authors either. It undervalues good writing, meaning that even good authors can't expect to get much for their creations.

If you want to offer your book for free, enroll it in Kindle Unlimited or have it released to public libraries. As a reader, I am much more likely to read a book that is cheap, but not free.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I think ebooks should be cheaper than paper books. If they are the same price, I would rather buy the paper version. I don't think that free ebooks hurt the author, as it gives the reader a chance to get to know their writing. I would hesitate to try books of unknown authors otherwise. If I love the book, I will buy the author's other books.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
waigwamoses

Post by waigwamoses »

Ebooks should be cheaper than paperbacks. I don't think they should be free as technology also costs money.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

RonakP wrote:I think that ebooks should be a lot cheaper than paperback if not free
Ebooks should be cheaper, but keep in mind part of the money goes to companies like amazon to improve the complex tech, which costs a lot of money because they have to pay very well trained people to spend a lot of time fixing things up. Also, authors need to get their cut and if it is free there is no incentive to write.

Music faced something like this when things went free, and gradually the market adapted to a subscription model. I think books are going that same route, just slowly because people still love paperback copies. Indie is almost exclusively ebook and way, way cheaper than paperback, but people still spend a fortune for ebooks from traditional publishers, and until people stop paying they will keep charging a lot.

I guess the best option: support indie and the entire market will get cheaper.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

As many have said, not free because the author should be paid for their work but definitely less than hard copy because there are no publishing or shipping costs.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I buy e books for the convenience but I love physical copies to display on my shelf and sometimes you don't want to be carrying a Kindle around with you. I do think e books should be a little cheaper and when they are not, I find myself going for a "proper book"
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:I buy e books for the convenience but I love physical copies to display on my shelf and sometimes you don't want to be carrying a Kindle around with you. I do think e books should be a little cheaper and when they are not, I find myself going for a "proper book"
Yeah, it makes perfect sense to just buy the print copy when it isn't worth having only a digital one. I wonder if amazon will do something similar to how they handle music where when you buy a physical copy of a cd you get the digital one free. That would be perfect!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Yes I've often wondered if or when they'd do something like that. Maybe the opportunity to buy the ebook for a very reduced price when purchasing the hard copy.
Letlhogonolo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letlhogonolo.html

Post by Letlhogonolo »

E-books should definitely be cheaper that actual books. They can be easily exchanged and you cannot touch them. So why are they so expensive?
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

You're paying for the content, not the format.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Post by Adair McClain »

I agree that just because it's an e-book it should NOT be free (unless it's a promotion, etc). An author puts a lot of time, sweat, and tears into their craft and it isn't right to assume they should just give it away, regardless of format. But, I can also agree that e-books should be on the cheaper side since they're not actually printed. I don't know how much work goes into digitally publishing that could justify the price.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I wouldn't say that they should be free but they should be cheaper. I think paying the price of a paperback book to only have it in electronic form is a little unreasonable. Like other people have mentioned, authors put the time and effort into writing so there should be some reward. Anyway I feel like there are a lot of free ebooks out there so if you are not willing to pay for one, you still have lots of options. :)
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I dont think they should be free because writers have to earn a small living. I do think that they should be cheaper than paper books though. With physical books, getting them printed costs a nice chunk of change. That is one expense that ebooks don't have to worry about. So I feel their prices should be cheaper than a physical book.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html

Post by Chitopogi »

Yes indeed. EBooks are much cheaper than paperbooks. And giving away free books is a market strategy thought out by Amazon when it started selling books. They've gained recognition and the profited from that marketing scheme. And the authors earn as well. A case in point - Raven's Peak. Our club gave it away free to us members. And we had to download it from Amazon. Did both Amazon and Lincoln Cole earn from it? Yes indeed! Lincoln's trilogy is now in the New York Times bestseller list! His Ravens Peak is selling at $1.50, Raven's Fall at $3.49, and Raven's Rise at $3.99. And all are selling great. If you ask me - Yes indeed! Give them away as a marketing strategy! The rewards come later.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”