Should ebooks be free or at least much cheaper?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Nuz winnhy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188

Re: Should ebooks be free or at least much cheaper?

Post by Nuz winnhy »

ebook should be cheaper but not free because Authors deserve to be paid for their hard work,i know the cost of production of a paperback is high so i believe a digital copy should be at least a couple dollar less that a paperback.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Nuz winnhy wrote:ebook should be cheaper but not free because Authors deserve to be paid for their hard work,i know the cost of production of a paperback is high so i believe a digital copy should be at least a couple dollar less that a paperback.
It's the author's decision to say whether his/her ebook should be free or not. Readers don't get to decide the worth of a work.
-rk
Licareads
Currently Reading: Droplets
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Licareads »

I wouldn't say free, but I think ebooks here in Brazil are almost same price from paperbacks, so what's the point of the ebook? I always thought ebook came for those that can't carry around too many books or don't have the money to actually have a personal library *like myself* but in the end here the difference is just of 1 or 2 bucks from one version to the other, and I do prefer the smell of paper.
I ended up buying some foreign books in the end, since as long as it's Brazilian or in Portuguese, the price goes up really fast.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Licareads wrote:I wouldn't say free, but I think ebooks here in Brazil are almost same price from paperbacks, so what's the point of the ebook? I always thought ebook came for those that can't carry around too many books or don't have the money to actually have a personal library *like myself* but in the end here the difference is just of 1 or 2 bucks from one version to the other, and I do prefer the smell of paper.
I ended up buying some foreign books in the end, since as long as it's Brazilian or in Portuguese, the price goes up really fast.
Interesting. That's also sometimes the case in amazon and google play books, where there is not much difference between paperback and ebooks.
-rk
rayn11255
Currently Reading: Damaged
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayn11255.html
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by rayn11255 »

I guess it would depend on the publisher and what expenses went into promoting the book but I think the cost of the e-book should be the cost of the lowest priced *new* print copy available to purchase at the time. (I could be wrong but are paperbacks are usually not available when a book is first published. I think they are staggered like when releasing a movie. It only goes to the theaters first and you have to wait for the home copy.) Just because it's digital doesn't mean it's worth less. We wouldn't have the number and the quality of books that we have if there wasn't a living to be made off an authors words. Unless it's the authors choice I don't agree with a e-book version being free.
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris
MzPolarbear
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by MzPolarbear »

Honestly, I do think they should be a lower cost than a print copy. Most authors submit their work digitally now (vs hard print copies in the years past) which makes formatting them for E-book publication simpler and more time effective. The cost of promoting books is not based on how it is published, but at the discretion of the publisher and is usually already considered when setting book prices.

I don't think e-books should be free, as the author deserves to be compensated for his or her work. But as there are different price points for hard back, paperback, library binding, etc it should be easy enough to set another price point for e-books.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I purchased an e-reader for the convenience of not having to haul around a big book. I do not think the author should have to pay for my choice out of their profits. But I do think the bookstore should adjust their profits to remove the cost of handling and packaging of the book for shipment.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Papercup
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Papercup »

I think that paperbacks are supposed to be more expensive than ebooks but definitely not free. The authors should be credited for their hard work.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I would certainly like them to be free! But how will authors make money? It's already hard for them as it is.
sonia iyare
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sonia iyare »

E reader should be free at least twice in a month for subscribers
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

I think it should be cheaper but not entirely free.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

I think ebooks should be cheaper than the paperback books because it would sell more and the reader won't have to go through the trouble of going put and buy a book.
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Valton
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valton.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Valton »

In my opinion they shouldn't be free because there is a lot of work that is put into the book but at the same time they should be free since the cost of production is cheaper
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

one time i went to the kindle store and wrote "free" and i found lots of free books. most of them though were the first part of a a collection, so if u liked the collection, u might have to buy te rest of the book, but hey, atleast u got a free one
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

Someone mentioned that it is up to the author if he/she would make the book free. I agree with this. I think that it is best to make it a bit cheaper than the physical book.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”