Why does it have to be a competition?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Re: Why does it have to be a competition?

Post by Jaime Lync »

I don't think there is much of a competition. It depends on the time and place - I like audiobooks for when I am working with my hands and I still want to soak in a good story. I like tangible books because they are there even when I have no electricity to charge my table or phone and I like e-books because they are light and great to read on the book. All about time and place.
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

I'm actually fighting with myself on whether or not I should get an e-reader. My phone worked just fine for a bit, but now that I'm in college with all these online textbooks I'm thinking an e-reader might be a decent option. But I don't want to get a Nook or a Kindle to only use it for a few years then never touch it again. And I've tried carrying around the physical copies, but my back absolutely hated me. Any advice? I think both paperback and e-readers are useful, but I'm just trying to gauge which is the best option for a working college kid.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

According to me, every individual has his/her own choice of reading and there should not be any competition among the ways and the gadgets used for reading.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Yes...no competition just about individual preference. I still haven't listened to an audiobook
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Sin24
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sin24.html
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Post by Sin24 »

As long as we are getting the content from the book whatever method we use is just a preference, and I don't think we should be making a big deal out of it.
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

Yes. Why does it have to be a competition? When it's convenient, then read whenever and wherever you are and whatever means.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

I agree that there doesn't have to be a competition for how you read and what you read. Kind of ruins it in a way.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I have used all of them over the years. I have even had a hardback, a paperback,an ebook,and an audio book going in the same time. The hardback was usually nonfiction educational. The audio was for in the car on long commutes. Paperback or ereader was convenience. A paperback fit my luggage and did not Ren out of power on long flights.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
Papercup
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Papercup »

Format is irrelevant to me. It is only important for me that I got to take the good stuff on books. That is only important to me.
Envision Tressy
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-envision-tressy.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Envision Tressy »

I think the technology cannot replace the feeling you get by turning the pages and enjoying the sweet smell of paper :D
Her eyes were like the sun, glowing red hot in the darkness of light!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
bestia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bestia »

I actually used the Whispersync on my phone yesterday. I started listening to a book in the Audible app, then switched to the Kindle app later on and it asked me if I wanted to go to the place where I'd finished listening :) I then noticed at the bottom of the Kindle app, it had a link to the Whispersync option, and I clicked on that and it downloaded the audio version again, but this time while I listened, it turned the page in the ebook as it went along, so it was always synchronised with the audiobook.
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by TheWriteAngel »

I'm with you on that. I like paperbacks for the natural feel of the book and Ebooks for the convenience. Both mediums have their respective pros and cons. I don't like it when people debate on which is the better medium. As long as it encourages reading, it doesn't matter.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

Actually it is not a competition and it never has been. Each thing holds its own personal value which cannot be replaced by something else
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”