What is your favorite reading app on smartphone ?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Re: What is your favorite reading app on smartphone ?

Post by Genaaa »

I usually just tend to use the kindle app as it sinks easily when I decide to buy a book with amazon online.
flordeliz0315
Currently Reading: What We Find
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by flordeliz0315 »

Aside from the kindle app I also have cloud library and overdrive.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html

Post by Genaaa »

I tend to honestly just stick with the free kindle reading app. It's free and works perfectly fine on my phone, which is great since almost everyone has a phone.
SqueakyDC
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SqueakyDC »

I haven't tried anything on my phone except for ibooks and I have no problem with that app. I really like it. I use the Kindle app on my pc from Amazon. Love the Amish Love stories.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

On my Windows Phone that would be Tucan Reader. It is available for free in the Windows Store. It is really convenient and perhabs the only app in the entire which supports all file formats including zip. In addition to this there are many other cool features. If you are Windows user then this is definitely the app you would want to download. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
MamaBex
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamabex.html

Post by MamaBex »

I have tried the Kindle app and I can honestly say I like it a lot. I have it on my phone and my Nexus tablet. I can bookmark the page I'm on or highlight important details in a story to remember them.
zukaakazux
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Wizard and the glass
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zukaakazux.html
Reading Device: B00VYDWC4E
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by zukaakazux »

I use eReader Prestigio: Book Reader app, it is great. I tried maybe 4 or 5 other ebook reading apps but all of them were with some bugs or ads, I don't mind some ads because I mostly use free versions of apps and I know app owners earn money from these ads but why when there are to much I can't take it, why bother. eReader Prestigio: Book Reader has two version, paid and free, I use the free one and I have everything I need in it. Can't remember if I have seen any ads in it, so I think there are none or so little that you won't even remember them (or I have bad memory :D). Not that I need much in these apps, but this one comes of course with bookmarks which is a must, then there is night reading mode which I use often, many available options like cloud storage, there is store of some kind and a pair of themes to change the look. I don't know what there is more in paid version because free version offers so much. Happy reading you all.
open-book
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-open-book.html

Post by open-book »

I am based in London UK and love our London Library Consortium E-Reader app. It covers other areas too, just check the website for more details. All you need is a library card! Its completely free and has a huge selection to choose from including all the latest books.

I have tried a few apps since discovering the world of E-Books but have found that literally none of them beat this one. I especially love that you are able to sync bookmarks between devices like tablets and iPhone's etc.

Kindle is my second favourite if your willing to pay for books :)
ChrissieLeigh
Favorite Author: Joleene Naylor
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrissieleigh.html
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 50531

Post by ChrissieLeigh »

Honestly, I had no idea that there were any aside from kindle but then again I pretty much swear by Amazon and I use my kindle.
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

ChrissieLeigh wrote:Honestly, I had no idea that there were any aside from kindle but then again I pretty much swear by Amazon and I use my kindle.
i guess because Kindles are so popular the word Kindle means ereader in a lot of people's minds. But us old guys know better. I began reading ebooks about 1992 on an HP 95lx palmtop computer. That was an 11 ounce PC that fit nicely in a pocket and used 2 AA batteries. Actually ebooks had been around years before that, having been invented by Michael Hart, who later went on to found Gutenberg.org, in 1971.

When I first began reading ebooks not only had the Kindle not been invented yet, neither had Amazon. In fact buying things online was difficult and scarce. You couldn't buy ebooks online anyway. A bunch of people like me scanned books we liked and shared them on Compuserve.

At that point the internet had been invented but it wasn't available to the public. People used dial-in services like Compuserve and later AOL and Prodigy. The World Wide Web was still a long way in the future.

For years I read my ebooks, now just beginning to be called that, on a Palm Pilot. That was the device that popularized ebooks. Finally sites opened up to sell ebooks on the internet and ebooks as we know them were born.

There have been a lot of ereaders and a lot of ereading apps on every platform. Kindle and the Kindle app are one of the more recent ones. The Kindle app is also one of the least sophisticated ereading apps. Not that that's bad. It lets you read your book and that's what it's all about. And it gives you access to the world's biggest and best book store. No small thing.

The problem with the Kindle app really is that it's good enough. And because of that the many makers of better ereading apps can't compete. Amazon has the books and when you have the books nothing else really matters as long as your app is good enough.

Barry
Jsaman

Post by Jsaman »

I have a kindle app on my phone and have used it a couple of times. It's okay. I wouldn't say I'm in love. I have yet to try the others, but maybe I will now that I've read some of these posts.
J.
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

A good one to try is Moon+ reader. It's what I use on my Android phone. I've tried a lot of reading apps and this is the one I prefer. It has every feature you can imagine and a lot you probably never thought of. It's certainly overkill but that doesn't keep it from being very easy to use. There's a free version with ads and a paid version with a lot more features. The free version has most of the really important features. The paid version makes it nicer to use.

I particularly like that it lets me scroll instead of turn pages. For some reason that just seems more natural to me. No, I didn't grow up reading scrolls instead of books but maybe I should have. :)

There are a lot of other good reading apps as well. Moon+ is my favorite but I think some of the others are better known.

Barry
serena08max
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena08max.html

Post by serena08max »

Sarah_Khan wrote:My favorite would have to be Kobo, the design is simple and clear. They offer a lot of free e-books and a lot of fun options like highlighting, quoting, searching up a definition without having to exit the book or lose your page. I also like that they give you badges for passing certain goals. :)

That sounds like fun. I'll have to five it a try. Can anybody tell me how to contact support? (Real Person)
stuckbetweenwords
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stuckbetweenwords.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch

Post by stuckbetweenwords »

I use aldiko book reader which allows you to download books and also you can read books of different formats that you download from websites. The options available to read however you want is endless.
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I just got my smart phone next week and am still learning it but I would have to say the Kindle App.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”