Cannot give up print

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Cannot give up print

Post by DATo »

I have an eReader and I have used it but I find myself drawn to actual books. I think, in the final analysis, it has more to do with what you are used to. There is something else too: I like the idea of a library I can actually see. Call me "old fashioned" but I get more enjoyment out of looking at all the walls of my library lined with bookshelves containing 3000+ books than I think I would looking at my eReader sitting in the middle of a wall all alone despite the fact that it may contain the same number of books.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I like the original copy of a book more more than its e-book version.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

DATo wrote:I have an eReader and I have used it but I find myself drawn to actual books. I think, in the final analysis, it has more to do with what you are used to. There is something else too: I like the idea of a library I can actually see. Call me "old fashioned" but I get more enjoyment out of looking at all the walls of my library lined with bookshelves containing 3000+ books than I think I would looking at my eReader sitting in the middle of a wall all alone despite the fact that it may contain the same number of books.
Very well said!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

I choose real books over a kindle. I always have. There is nothing to compare to the touch and smell of a book. I'm staring at my small bookshelf longing to touch one just now. That said, Kindle and other ereaders have become something that is convenient. Now that I have an 18 month old, I can't easiely read one of my now delicate books, because she will see grab and rip. :scared-eek:

So for the past year, minus a few careful and high out of reach reads (The new illustrated Hp!!), I have been religiously using my kindle. I upgraded to the paperwhite, so that I am able to read in bed without disturbing my grumpy husband. Again, it's a convenience.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
BexReads757
Currently Reading: Essential Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 947
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bexreads757.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by BexReads757 »

I agree. I had a kindle for awhile, but I missed reading real books. The kindle also broke because I took it to the beach, and it overheated, but that's a different story. There's just something satisfying about turning pages.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

I, personally, in a perfect world, would only read print version books. But it's not perfect, and with our lifestyle (on the road often, even lived in our RV for nearly a year), I could NEVER store all the books we read. I've learned to make notes from an ebook, to really lean on the highlighting feature and even leave notes within the file... But it's not the same.

I got a hardcover book to read and review this week, and I'm just ITCHING to get to it on my list. It just looks so... cozy.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
ChrissieLeigh
Favorite Author: Joleene Naylor
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrissieleigh.html
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 50531

Post by ChrissieLeigh »

As a college student and an avid reader, I agree with you. I cannot stand the digital material. I prefer to have it in my hand so I can take note, etc., the way I feel comfortable and how I see fit.
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Fooch31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fooch31.html

Post by Fooch31 »

I feel the same, i love my kindle and nook, but i still love the feel of a physical book !!
Kaylin McFarren
Favorite Book: Buried Threads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75

Post by Kaylin McFarren »

There's definitely something wonderful about the feel of a good book in your hands. My personal library attests to the fact. But eventually you run out of shelf space and find yourself double stacking or giving books away. I've come to the conclusion that if a book is great, I'll keep it. But if I'm not sure of the story or posted reviews, I'll download it on Kindle and decide if it warrants a paperback copy for future readings.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

There is definitely a lot of good to keep paper books. People always saying things like saving trees but do people really care about the trees. They just like ebooks because it's more convenient. The world is all about convenience. I'm like that too but I would never want to see printed books becoming obsolete. I still love my printed books because I just like being able to look at them and hold them in my hands.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
AGillbooksaretreasur

Post by AGillbooksaretreasur »

I'm mixed about the subject, rather I like having books both ways. I'm a bi-reader. I enjoy having some books via e-reader. I have a monthly plan, it's inexpensive, I read as many books as I want without having left the house, battled the crowds at the stores, or more money changing hands. Granted not all the ebooks I would like to read are available. In this case my local library has ebooks I can check out. There are times when I would like to actually have a copy of a printed book. James Patterson's single non-fiction book, for instance. I wanted a copy of "The Innocent Man". I'm not sure, maybe it's more of a personal thing than a green thing.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Yes, I still can not totally five up print. Especially since these are self help and technical books which I can't find elsewhere. Other than that, I will stick to using EBooks. They are more convenient and there's no need to cut the trees in order to make books. To the green enthusiast - I'm with you there!
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

You're not alone on this, I prefer print materials
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

You are not alone, I am of your kind too. Although I am still young but I love having something physical in my hand to read
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

I love holding and smelling the actual book! But, I had to borrow my boyfriend's Kindle for doing these reviews and I was pleasantly surprised! I like how much lighter it is to hold-- no sore wrists or forearms!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”