Cannot give up print

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Zackadoom
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zackadoom.html

Re: Cannot give up print

Post by Zackadoom »

I'm kind of in the middle of the road. I see value in both digital and analog books. I lost pretty much my entire print collection in 2005, but have been rebuilding it. I have more print books, but the ebooks are catching up.
I like the feel and the weight and the smell of a "real book" as I sit and read, the sound of turning a page is just mmmm.
I like the convenience of ebooks. I can carry my entire ebook collection (nearing 400) in my pocket. I don't need a light to read in bed at night which "upsets" the wife. It's also easier to borrow digital library books.
As to which I prefer, it's more of a situational thing. If I'm going on a trip or a cruise, it's obviously easier to carry my kindle/iPad than e en 2 or 3 paperbacks. If I'm sitting at home with a nice mug of coffee or tea, I like a nice print book.
Forced to choose: print :ugeek2:
nymeriastar
Favorite Author: Robert Galbraith
Currently Reading: Autobiography of a Terrorist
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nymeriastar.html
fav_author_id: 2890

Post by nymeriastar »

I have to read things in physical form in order to retain them; I have taken too many online classes and the material that I have printed out is what has stuck with me...
egymalika
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egymalika.html

Post by egymalika »

That's funny now that we are talking about it. During college, I just realized that I used to have to print anything assigned and than work on it as well. It just seemed easier and more attainable. The information became tangible and I could take notes and absorb this way better.
crazilydramatic
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 104

Post by crazilydramatic »

I prefer physical books over ebooks. I know, I know, "stop killing trees" and all that, but I just can't give it up. I love holding a book in my hands, I love adding books to my shelves, I love feeling the weight of a book in my bag, I love the smell of books, I love walking around a bookstore, and... well... you get the drill. For me, staring at a screen can never beat any of that.
Lady Countryrose
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-countryrose.html

Post by Lady Countryrose »

Printed books are the best, it shows what I have read just by looking at it. Sometimes I have trouble remembering if I read something with ebooks.
courtwenger
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtwenger.html

Post by courtwenger »

I am the exact same way with academic material. Give me a highlighter and pencil, because I am going to be circling and writing all over a text book. Forget resale, I keep it on my bookshelf for reference.

But I think there is something about instant gratification with a novel on an e-reader. Most times that I decide to read are nights like tonight (Friday) where my husband decides he wants to go do something I have no interest in. Instead, I'm perfectly happy to look at my "to read" list on Good Reads, press submit order and get down to it. I think the other problem is that if I had paperback novels ready to go at home, I would be reading at times where I need to do other things such as work, clean, cook, shower, eat, take care of other activities of daily etc. (hahaha). Compartmentalizing is the key!
Jojonierends77

Post by Jojonierends77 »

I am torn both ways. I'm also a college student appalled by how much is wasted on printed things and see how having digital things is so much easier, especially when you need to search something and don't remember what page it was on. However I love the feel of books and hate reading books on a tablet in the sunlight. That being said I hate reading actual books in the dark, even with one of those book lights (you constantly have to move it and it becomes a hassle). While it is incredibly convenient to carry hundreds of books on a tablet, there's nothing like having your own library of printed books. The problem with making everything printed digital and never printing again is that if there was a problem with technology all that would be lost. This happened on my computer, where it decided one day to not turn on and I lost many of my stories I had written. So like I said before, I'm torn as I see the pros and cons of both.
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

LivreAmour217 wrote:I also find that I need to read print versions of academic material, such as textbooks and peer reviewed articles. For some reason, I cannot stay focused on the digital versions. But with a good novel, it's a different story :roll:
Yup, that's me too! If it isn't for pleasure, I have a hard time reading it on a screen.
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

It's funny. When I'm reading something for school, I need to print it out. However, when it comes to reading for pleasure, I prefer e-books.
smhawkins
Currently Reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smhawkins.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by smhawkins »

I can definitely attest to this! I'm all about print materials when I'm reading and I don't think it's an age thing because I just graduated in August and my father, who is in his late 40s, prefers his kindle to print. Just a preference thing, I suppose?
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
Jacque33
Currently Reading: Intrusion
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacque33.html
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Jacque33 »

Being a not so organized person, I find that finding a book on my Kindle is easier and I can reference and find other books more quickly. However, I don't prefer one way or the other when reading for pleasure. I heard of a study done that suggested that it's harder to recall and search for information from an e-reader. I've personally found this to be true and so I order my books for research in print form. I also think it's easier to make notes and remember them later. It doesn't help that it seems like I have some strange force field that renders technology useless whenever I truly need it! :)
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Channy Marie

Post by Channy Marie »

I took online courses for college. I can honestly say I hated reading my material online. I was always printing out the pages to read. It seemed the bright contrast of the computer screen caused very little retention. I enjoy reading for leisure on my kindle; however, I do feel there is a bit of magic lost when you swipe to the next page rather than feel the page on your finger.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I would never give up printed material. I love reading from paper books and I just get annoyed that everything is on computer these days. I'm an old fashioned girl :D
bemiown
Currently Reading: War Torn
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bemiown.html

Post by bemiown »

Holding a physical copy of a book in my hands is comforting to me. It also is like I'm part of the book. E books are OK and I do read them but I don't want to give up my print copies. I have quite a library of them.
Karrymi

Post by Karrymi »

Paper allows me to use my pencil and highlighter. I am scribbler it sucks when I can't write on the margin or highlight. Paper makes the reading experience more real. A book does not have a battery that requires recharging.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”