Saving you money?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Saving you money?

Post by KiMB00P »

I know I am saving money.

Before the kindle came into my life, I would take a monthly trip to my local Borders or Barnes and Noble and get quite a few books there at around $9.99-16.99 a piece, spending around $50-60 per trip.

Now I can search and read free books from Amazon, wattpad, etc. Or purchase books for $0.99. When someone close to me recommends a book however, I will pay full "kindle" price for it, although it doesn't happen often.
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

I am definitely saving money. I would spend so much money at bookstores instead of going to the library because there is literally a bookstore right around the corner from my house. The library is about 10 minutes away if I drive. Now I'm always using Overdrive to borrow ebooks from my library and I have a huge library of free Kindle books that I can read.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Definitely, EBook readers most especially the Kindle reader has saved me a lot of money since I first installed my Kindle reader 10 years ago. I have 1,000+ EBooks in my Kindle Cloud library and they all came for free. Even if each EBook costs 50 cents per, then I would have saved $500- dollars!
But those EBooks can go as high as $10 dollars per book once the offer has been lifted. And that means I have saved as high as anywhere from $500- to $10,000- dollars over a ten year period!
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

It does, and its more convenient.
Tomiwa
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Tomiwa »

E-book does'nt save me money..........hard copy if more preferable
pancawind
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pancawind.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by pancawind »

Definitely. Ebooks are much cheaper than paper books and if you can control yourself while buying ebooks, you will save a lot of money compared to buying paper books. Free ebooks are also much easier to find. However, you will need time to pay off the price of the ereader.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Maybe, but I really can't know for sure. I mostly download free books or books off of Kindle unlimited. Whenever I actually buy books on my Kindle, I very rarely spend over five dollars. So I really don't spend a lot of money on my Kindle at all. I don't spend much for paper books either cause I usually go to thrift stores and garage sales when i want to go book shopping.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
thecrescendo
Currently Reading: The Mystery Of Flight 2222
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thecrescendo.html

Post by thecrescendo »

I'm right at the middle since I've only been downloading free books and whenever I do buy a hard copy, I mostly go to thrift stores so I don't spend much
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

Yes, because books in digital format cost less. For those outside of the US or UK, it's also cheaper because there are no shipping fees. Whenever I tried to order a paperback online, I saw that the shipping cost is almost the same as the book cost which is ridiculous so I truly prefer digital format. E-readers can be a bit expensive, but I think it's worth it.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

Yes, I think that eBooks save money. I myself have saved some money through eBooks :)
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Licareads
Currently Reading: Droplets
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Licareads »

Hmm....it saves if I buy international ebooks, the ones in my country don't have that much price difference from the paperbacks unfortunately, I think I spend more time saving money for the books than actually reading them D:
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

It's hit or miss with me. There are still books I want in paper form, which I tend to buy used online unless a new copy is on sale. I do get a lot of free ebooks, but those are typically books I would not have been looking for. It's a great way to sample new authors, but since I'm still reading bestsellers, I'm not always saving money. For bestsellers and new releases, the ebooks can be just as costly. There's just no shipping or wait time. (Although with Amazon Prime there's no shipping and very little wait time)
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I think e-readers save me money. I tend to buy the free or the $0.99 books to download. But there really is not much difference in the e-reader and paper book prices for the newer releases.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Papercup
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Papercup »

I am a cheapskate but I do love to read. I am not picky on whatever format I hold as long I could read.

That is enough to be a luxury for me.
Marion Nanziva
Currently Reading: Manhattan Beach
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Marion Nanziva »

My e-readers save me money because I go for the free ones so I don't have to spend money to read.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”