Should Kids be reading Ebooks or paperback

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Beth Robinson
Currently Reading: The Beauty and the Sorrow
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-robinson.html

Re: Should Kids be reading Ebooks or paperback

Post by Beth Robinson »

I prefer paperbacks for my daughter because there is so much else she could be doing on her tablet that I wouldn't necessarily see and to reduce eye strain. If I got her an e-ink reader it might remove those objections but I still would rather she lose or damage a $10 book than an electronic device. Not that she has yet, but I wouldn't put it past her.
Jody_Vote
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jody-vote.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jody_Vote »

As a grandmother I say paperback books for kids. I love my kindle but picture books for the grandkids are best
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I think paper books are better for children. I think they comprehend more with them. I also think it would be easier on their eyes.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

I truly believed children should be both prepared to read books and e-books. We have to be resourceful in this world. All families do not own a e-book. However you can get books almost anywhere. I believe books will always be here. Look at the Bible it has been burned and other things happen to it. Yet it is the greatest book of all times and still here.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think that as long as they are reading it doesn't matter. It's so important for kids to get a good foundation in reading. To me it's unimportant by which method they read.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Aceviewer
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Aceviewer »

A child can read from any source either paper book or e-books. The most important thing is, to develop a habit of reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
I prefer e-books more over a paper books as it helps a child to learn new technology along with developing a habit of reading book. There is no fear of a book getting torn or lost by the kid. So i personally believe that e-books are better than paper books.
JessieMarie84
Currently Reading: Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessiemarie84.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by JessieMarie84 »

As a mom of two, one who has a reading disability and one who is just beginning to read, I think either would be fine. Neither of mine has read an e-book as of yet. Are e-books interactive for some of them? If they are then I think that would great for learning to read. Though, I'm partial to my kids having paper/hard back books. I guess I'm more for kids having regular books than e-books.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

Personally I loved reading physical books in 2nd and 3rd grade. I loved the experience of searching through the school book fairs every single year. Later on, I realized that e-books were better for me as I didn't have the space for it, but I would give almost anything to go back to those days.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Kristin Brockman wrote:As a mom I keep asking myself is it really ok to let my son use electronics so much. He is still a toddler. I realize our day and age now is so much different than even ten years ago. When it comes to books I would rather he learned to read and hopefully enjoy old fashioned books at least at first. Being able to pick out books from the bookshelf to read at bedtime or anytime is always something to look forward to. He is to the point he is telling me what is going on in his books. I can't help but think if we only read EBooks to him that it would not be the same.
I think ebook are totally fine for kids, especially interactive ones.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

While I would prefer that kids read more paperbacks in their youth so they can be accustomed to it, I'll be satisfied if a child is just reading. As long as the child is reading words and opening their mind learning and new imaginative experiences, I'm okay with whatever method they choose to read a book. I would encourage children to read paper books too. There's just something special about having an actual book in your hand.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Let the kids enjoy reading from the paperbacks and hardbound books when they're young.
But with technology today, there's a rush in coming out with a low priced smartphone that can contain all the books of the elementary from K-12. Just imagine your six year old going to school and carrying a school bag that is as big as her filled with textbooks and workbooks. And all those books cost from $5 - $10 dollars each! She has to carry a bag that is heavier than her! Just imagine if that heavy bag is a backpack, and your child has to carry it on her back everyday. This is where scoliosis and spinal problems start. Now imagine her carrying a much smaller and lighter bag with her smartphone....
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

You can make a child enjoy and form a reading habit with paperbacks because they are filled with vibrant colours and pictures, and children derive some kind of pleasure by flipping through those pages. E-books involves electrical devices and a child will likely indulge in the games on it than books. Most importantly, you can easily monitor your child's reading ability and progress with paperbacks.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118

Post by KiMB00P »

I think for toddlers it would be better to do paper books, since they learn by touching and eating things, haha. But I have a 10 year old step son who loves reading on his kindle. I've put about 150 books on it for him and I can keep track of how long he has read through Kindle Freetime.
paranormalbooklover
Currently Reading: After We Collided
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by paranormalbooklover »

I would prefer my 8, 7 and 5 year olds to read paper books. I didn't have an e-reader growing up obviously and I didn't have a problem. Plus i enjoyed going to the library to find a good book. I have the overdrive app on my kids tablet but if I say it's time to read how do I know they are reading a book from overdrive and not playing a game'?? So i would rather they read paper books
Sansimaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sansimaw »

I don't think it mattered, as long as they enjoy reading. To each their own, I usually read ebooks these days but I like the smell of paperbacks with their fresh ink and old books with their fungal musty odor. :)

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”