Listening to Audio books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Vsarjeant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsarjeant.html
Latest Review: Art Fairy by Floras Athena

Re: Listening to Audio books

Post by Vsarjeant »

Audiobooks really depend on the person reading it. I have been using Audible for years because I wanted to stay active in my book club, but my schedule didn't always accommodate physically reading a book. I have found some that put me to sleep and some that totally distract me because the reader is so exciting.
marksm121
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by marksm121 »

The audiobook is also good when you busy and won't read a book go audiobook
marksm121
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by marksm121 »

I don't like to listen to Audiobook.
RavingReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravingreads.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by RavingReads »

I think this is different for everyone. When I listened to my first audio book, I was fully expecting not to enjoy it. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I was able to play my audio books when doing tasks such as cooking, gardening, and cleaning. Would I chose to listen to an audio book over reading a paper book? No. But did I enjoy it? Yes. I recommend you try it out and see what happens!
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I think it's better and faster reading with an audiobook, especially one that you are reviewing. It makes it so much easier.
My favourite author books, I have to read by myself and in hardcopy.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

I like it. It helps me to multitask since I must carry or make eye contact with my device.
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michele H »

I’ve tried a couple times recently. When it comes to non-fiction, it feels like a movie with no pictures. I don’t necessarily mind self-help books, but my mind still kind of trails off and I’m not sure how much I absorb.
Shirley-Tome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-tome.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Shirley-Tome »

Audio books are great but I am very old school when it comes to reading. I generally prefer holding a book in my hand first, online reading second and audio books third. I simply find myself getting distracted and repeatedly going back to listen to what I missed :techie-studyingbrown:
natasha juhl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by natasha juhl »

My favorite way to read a book for complete comprehension is to have the physical book open with a pen, while having the audiobook play at 2x speed. It helps to me to focus more on the sentences and hearing the story rather than reading each word and then interpreting.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” – Lemony Snicket
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

I cannot do audio books. I get distracted very easily. If someone talks to me while I am reading, I have to stop and reread the page. I can only imagine how I would be trying to listen to an audio book. Most likely, I would get to the end of the book and not even realize it had been read.
Aliphsi
Currently Reading: Life Lessons
Bookshelf Size: 877
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliphsi.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aliphsi »

An audiobook can make or break a book. There are audiobooks where the narrator gives more personality to the characters, you pick up things you wouldn't with the physical book and there are audiobooks where I can't stand the narrator. If I can I like to read physical and with the audio. It does go faster and it helps me concentrate more.
cogitononsum
Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogitononsum.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by cogitononsum »

I would really like to get into audiobooks, but I can't. Someone else reading it out just messes with my visualisation, the connotation changes for me, the tone in which someone reads it out.
Vanessa Leong
Currently Reading: Finish what you start
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessa-leong.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Vanessa Leong »

I've tried listening to audiobooks before and honestly, I could never get the hang of it. A random thought would often pop into my head and I would lose focus. Unlike a normal book, I can't just shift my eyes back to where I left off and read it again. I would instead have to rewind the audiobook or forgo the chunk of information that I missed out on and risk missing an important detail. So audiobooks aren't for me but I would still encourage you to try it out for yourself and see if you like it.
Danny Rands
Currently Reading:

Post by Danny Rands »

I would totally prefer to read the book myself, it feels more engaging and I just love the first person experience of enjoying the message the author through the text is trying to convey.
Khaiden T
Favorite Author: Olaf Stapledon
Currently Reading: The Return of the King
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaidentajigen.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem
fav_author_id: 39743

Post by Khaiden T »

Audiobooks are a fantastic thing to have in everyday life, as they can accompany mundane & time-consuming tasks. Rather than feel like time of your life is being spent on these things that need to get done, you're experiencing and/or learning something while you're doing it through the audiobook.

There are also particular ones, like Star Wars, which benefit from music, voice acting and sound effects, making them akin to a movie or series. It's a worthy experience.

Those are the 2 advantages of them. To me, it counts just as much as reading the book. The biggest disadvantage I see is that you don't get to decide how long they will take (even if you speed them up, and you can only do that to a certain point). Reading may take you less time than listening to it. This, of course, varies from person to person and from book to book.

In short, though, I'm glad they exist. Every book deserves a quality audiobook released at the same time as the written version.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”