Listening to Audio books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Re: Listening to Audio books

Post by Pm7lucas »

I tried listening to audio books last year when I went on vacation. Since I can't read in a moving vehicle, I thought listening to a book would be a way to still get my reading fix. It didn't work the way I thought, unfortunately! Maybe the narrator wasn't a good one, but I did not enjoy the experience at all. I would try it again, though, because if I couldn't use my hands to read, such as when I am crafting, it would be nice to still get immersed in a good story!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
BarryEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BarryEM »

The narrator makes a huge difference in audiobooks. If you're still interested I suggest listening to a sample before you buy next time. You can do that on either Audible or Amazon. They give you a fairly lengthy sample so you can get a good idea of what narrator you like or don't like.

I personally think about 1/3 of the narrators are very good, about 1/3 so so, worth listening to but not preferable, and about 1/3 aren't worth listening to. And I've also learned that this is a very personal thing. I can't take anyone else's word for who is a good narrator. Some of those I think are terrible others think are great, and vice-versa.

Barry
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

That's a good point. I didn't realize you could get a sample. I will definitely go that way next time - thanks!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

I don't think audio books are good if the book requires your imagination. I only listen to podcasts where you don't have to pay attention to every single word. Some books may be okay in audio books, but I haven't encountered any, yet.
-rk
Desmond Abey
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Desmond Abey »

haven't really tried any!
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

I actually don't enjoy audio book because many things pass undigested and therefore I don't feel the item am reading.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

When I first started Audible I didn't really like it all that much and kept wondering what the point in it was. Well now I am finding it helps me get more reading done. I multitask with audible. I like to use it when I walk for something different once in awhile besides listening to music. It also helps with doing chores around the house.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

I can't do audio books, I just get too restless because it never seems to go at my pace.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
Nina Rose
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Nina Rose »

I have not tried audio books.I still like to read the book to myself.I might drift off if someone else is reading it for me.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I haven't listened to one but I think enjoying it just depends on who and how it's being read
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Daris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daris.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Daris »

Listening to Audio books are amazing, I listened to one once and it was so nice , all I had to do was plug my earpiece and that was all. I however think it depends on the kind of book and the voice used.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Sin24
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sin24.html
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Post by Sin24 »

Like audio books and sometimes it can be refreshing to listen to the story of the book without you having to read it, however, the narrator can affect how well you enjoy the story.
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

Sin24 wrote:Like audio books and sometimes it can be refreshing to listen to the story of the book without you having to read it, however, the narrator can affect how well you enjoy the story.
I agree. There are additional factors for enjoying an audiobook, as compared to the physical and electronic copies.
-rk
Almondeyesdiva
Currently Reading: Crazy House
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Almondeyesdiva »

It depends. I have to be in the mood to listen to a book. Sometimes a book just flows better listening to someone tell it. However, I really have to be in the mood for it.
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

Almondeyesdiva wrote:It depends. I have to be in the mood to listen to a book. Sometimes a book just flows better listening to someone tell it. However, I really have to be in the mood for it.
I totally agree
-rk

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”