Listening to Audio books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
CrystalSnow
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crystalsnow.html

Re: Listening to Audio books

Post by CrystalSnow »

I think Audio books are good in a pinch, and even sometimes to read along with, but nothing is ever going to break the bond I have with paper pages of
Schullerk
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-schullerk.html

Post by Schullerk »

I prefer reading my books, but when i am working with food and the silence of the kitchen is just deafening.. i always throw on an audiobook. Some of the narrators really do suck and ruin the vibe, while others have great narrators.. Its truly a coin toss on picking that audiobook with the perfect narrator.
JudyKM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judykm.html

Post by JudyKM »

I love listening to audio books, especially when I am driving. I try to save them only for the times I cannot read, but if it has truly caught my attention, I will continue listening after my drive has ended. I love british novels, or even ones where the story takes place in Great Britain that have British narrators.
TCC Edwards
Currently Reading: The Punch Escrow
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcc-edwards.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by TCC Edwards »

I love audiobooks too. Driving to work is much more bearable with a good book on. Some books even sound better than they read - Ender's Game, for example, is better as an audiobook (the author even said so himself). A bad audiobook can ruin a story, though - I once heard a reading of Tehanu, the last Earthsea novel, that was so bad I stopped after 15 minutes.

There are more good audios than bad I think, especially if you look for good production companies like Audible.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

TCC Edwards wrote:I love audiobooks too. Driving to work is much more bearable with a good book on. Some books even sound better than they read - Ender's Game, for example, is better as an audiobook (the author even said so himself). A bad audiobook can ruin a story, though - I once heard a reading of Tehanu, the last Earthsea novel, that was so bad I stopped after 15 minutes.

There are more good audios than bad I think, especially if you look for good production companies like Audible.
There are a lot of great audiobooks out there. It is still a small marketplace but its growing!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Honestly, audio books are a form of books that I want to get into more. I remember listening to them at school and enjoying the experience. I don't know why I haven't listened to one sense. I guess a big part of me just like to see words on a page.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

RachelErmutlu said - I have not listened to audiobooks because I feel it would not be the same as reading a book. I am a fast reader and I feel some people read audiobooks too slowly. It is also easier for me to pay attention when I am reading the book myself.
My sentiments exactly! I have downloaded a few audio books but I find it hard just listening and not doing anything with my eyes. Also, I find the person reading the audiobooks aloud much too slowly for my taste.
IMHO audio books are for those who are reading impaired. Especially the elderly.
paranormalbooklover
Currently Reading: After We Collided
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by paranormalbooklover »

i would rather read books than listen to them. I read the 1st book in a series and when i finished it, it was either wait on the wait list or listen to the book. I couldn't wait, I needed to know what happened. So i got the audio book. Sometimes it is easier because I could be doing little things around the house, but if I can not do something where i would lose concentration over the book.
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

I don't enjoy audiobooks, it rather keeps me distracted. I can't get the point of the story.
Lu-Ellen
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-ellen.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Lu-Ellen »

I have a subscription for audible andi love it. Im very strange I love to read and listen at the same time
Why is a raven like a writing desk ??
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Some audiobooks are awesome while others not so much. I listened to the first book in C.S Lewis's space trilogy on youtube and was inspired to buy the entire series and read it myself. I also listen to the bible in audio but some readers don't cut it for me.
Luv_bookz

Post by Luv_bookz »

minnieminx wrote:Hi i have a voucher for audio books but i have never listened to one before and i was wondering if you get the same satisfaction listening to a book rather than reading it. Or i would like to know if you listened to audio books what did you think of it
Love Audiobooks. However sometimes the person who is reading the book is not that good. Always listen to a sample to see if you like the way it's read. The Harry Potter series read by Stephen Fry I find much better than the other version in my opinion.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I don't prefer listening to an audio book. I have tried it felt sleepy while listening. But I never feel that way while reading.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Jamesmbugua
Currently Reading: Superhighway

Post by Jamesmbugua »

Listening can not leave a picture of the literature in your mind
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I can't agree with that at all. I read most of my books but I listened to a lot of them over the years and a good narrator can affect my visual imagination every bit as much as text, and sometimes better.

Barry

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”