Listening to Audio books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Re: Listening to Audio books

Post by Elle Howard »

I usually listen to audio books on my drive to and from work. Some are better presented than others. But it gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day. A lot of the people I work with do the same.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Papercup
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Papercup »

minnieminx wrote:Hi i have a voucher for audio books but i have never listened to one before and i was wondering if you get the same satisfaction listening to a book rather than reading it. Or i would like to know if you listened to audio books what did you think of it
It depends on what the person does at the moment. When I got a lot of time at time, I'll read the book myself since I am more engaged to the content than listening to it. On the other hand, listening to audio book is great when you are commuting or your hands are full to carry a book with you.

Typically, an audio book is about 6-9 hours read which is too long for me. I managed to finish listening to one audio book on a week just from listening to it on headset while commuting to school and back.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I haven't listened to any audiobooks, but I would like to try them. I think the only thing I would not like about them is the pacing. Sometimes I prefer to go back or slow down and think about a certain passage.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

Sometime when you don't feel quite in the mood of reading then listening could be an option, or if you are driving then listening an eBook could save you time and also be enjoyable
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Toshia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 912">First Grave on the Right</a>
Bookshelf Size: 513
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toshia.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly

Post by Toshia »

It depends on the narrator. A lot of times you get a great narrator, whom alters their voice for each character. It brings the book to life! If the narrator is not good, then you won't make it through. I personally love audiobooks! I'm usually very busy and I can just put in a pair of headphones and go!
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Personally I have never tried audio books before but I think it is worth trying.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

minnieminx wrote: 09 Jan 2016, 14:21 Hi i have a voucher for audio books but i have never listened to one before and i was wondering if you get the same satisfaction listening to a book rather than reading it. Or i would like to know if you listened to audio books what did you think of it
I downloaded free ereader Prestigio app on Google Play on my smartphone and it works well. You may choose to read books or let it read for you.
BarryEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BarryEM »

Prestigio, like most ereading apps, uses TTS to read the book to you in a computer voice. While that's not too bad if you don't mind the clumsy pronunciations of a lot of words and the awkward phrasing, it's not really related to audiobooks.

An audiobook is a very different thing, with a human, a skilled narrator, often a professional actor, often a big name actor, reads the book to you, sometimes using different voices for each character. While TTS is okay when you need it audiobooks are so much more enjoyable to listen to that comparing them to TTS is a bit like comparing a Rolls Royce to a riding lawnmower. They'll both get you there. :)

Barry
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

BarryEM wrote: 30 Nov 2017, 15:52 Prestigio, like most ereading apps, uses TTS to read the book to you in a computer voice. While that's not too bad if you don't mind the clumsy pronunciations of a lot of words and the awkward phrasing, it's not really related to audiobooks.

An audiobook is a very different thing, with a human, a skilled narrator, often a professional actor, often a big name actor, reads the book to you, sometimes using different voices for each character. While TTS is okay when you need it audiobooks are so much more enjoyable to listen to that comparing them to TTS is a bit like comparing a Rolls Royce to a riding lawnmower. They'll both get you there. :)

Barry
Yeah you got It! They'll get both get there. It's free anyway. No need to buy nor pay for subscription. 😄
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I've attempted an audiobook and I didn't like it. I found my mind wandered and I couldn't concentrate in the book.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Insightsintobooks729 wrote: 15 Dec 2017, 14:00 I've attempted an audiobook and I didn't like it. I found my mind wandered and I couldn't concentrate in the book.
I respect your opinion.

As for me, I'm working all day. As in almost 24 hours a day. Using an earphone, I just let the eReader Prestigio app read for me while my hands are busy with work. I had sent 3 volunteer reviews already.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I don't enjoy listening to audio books because sometimes I get distracted. I prefer reading books.
victorycoffee
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorycoffee.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by victorycoffee »

I've had a bunch of driving to do recently as part of my job, so that's what got me into audio books. Since then I've been finding lots of other opportunities - when practicing magic tricks, cooking, playing online poker, gardening, running - literally any time when I'm doing something that requires my hands but not my full focus. It doesn't work for me when I'm working, but I have a lot of free/commute time where I can't be looking at a physical book, but I can definitely listen to one.

Bonus point: you know that thing where you end up re-reading the same page 5 or 10 times because you keep skipping over a bit and going back to find it? Nearly impossible to do that with an audiobook.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I definitely prefer reading the book. I've noticed in my experiences with audiobooks that I sometimes miss things while listening (and it can be a right pain to rewind to listen again to what I missed). It's also annoying and frustrating to be incapable of making notes to myself for my review in the future while listening to audiobooks.

That said, I definitely still enjoy it and I listen to audio books quite often. It's sort of a way for me to feel like I'm accomplishing something I want to accomplish while I'm stuck taking care of every day life things like cleaning, cooking, etc.

Ironically, the time I listen to audiobooks the most is while I'm in the shower. It's a great multitasking activity for me because I feel like I'm wasting less time in my day. So I'll just turn on an audiobook from my phone while I get ready in the morning showering, brushing my teeth, dressing, etc. You'd be surprised how many books you can go through listening to them before work.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I like reading more. But I had experience of was walking to my job for half an hour one way. Because it was an everyday thing it got quite boring even if I switched routes. That was when my friend recommended audio books. And I got hooked for occasions like that. I also get sick in the car very fast if I read. So audio books quickly became practical for those long boring rides. Or while doing chores. Also when there is an autobiography that is read by the author. I love that. So even though I prefer reading, listening can make some necessary errands much more pleasant for me.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”