E-reader differences?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
MMT0294
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmt0294.html

E-reader differences?

Post by MMT0294 »

:?: What are the differences between the Nook and the Kindle? I've only had Kindles...never even looked at the Nook. Which is better?
ebarnes1293
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ebarnes1293 »

The formatting of the books and which company the ebooks are from are the only differences I have found. I have owned both and prefer the Kindle.
Sparrow
Favorite Book: The Gulag Archipelago
Currently Reading: Médicis Daughter:
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparrow.html

Post by Sparrow »

I think Nook is a dying format- don't quote me on this, but I thought i read an article about them being discontinued, or at least halted on newer models. The only major difference is that Nook runs epub format, and kindles run mobi. At the advent of ebooks, epub were the more common format, and more readily available, but most places now release books in both formats- even Overdrive has a great selection.

Personally, I don't like either- I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 5, and a couple dozen free ereading apps to choose from. Kindle has a free app you can download, and it is aesthetically, a nice layout, but Kindle itself has too many privacy and ownership issues for me to consider it. Having an ereader with the capacity to go online is great, but why bother when you can have a tablet that does everything, and has equally decent ereading apps? For $4 i upgraded the epub app I used, just to get rid of the apps, but it can be downloaded free. And there's always calibre. Why waste time with potential formatting issues when you can have them all on one device, and the only person who has the ability to remove or alter your ebooks is you?

I know there are a lot of people who are die hard kindle fans, and I'm sure they're fantastic if they're even a fraction of their free app; but even as a consummate bookworm, I still think you're better off going with the tablet. If you could buy a CD player, or an Ipod, or one that plays both and a dozen other things, why go with less? They're pretty evenly matched in price.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

MMT0294 wrote: 24 Jun 2015, 20:00 :?: What are the differences between the Nook and the Kindle? I've only had Kindles...never even looked at the Nook. Which is better?
Both Kindle and Nook apps are unavailable in Saudi Arabia. I am using ereader Prestigio which I downloaded for free on Google Play Store. It works well with my smartphone. There are lots of free books to choose from where you could read or let it read for you.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Same here, I have owned a Kindle and that's it. I guess with a Nook you get to read ePub version of books. That's frankly the only difference I know of.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”