Do ebook readers damage your eyes?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
morde
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morde.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Re: Do ebook readers damage your eyes?

Post by morde »

Yeah it makes my eyes feel itchy on full day exposure to the screen but with 3hrs a day there's no harm.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Btowntheatregal
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-btowntheatregal.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Btowntheatregal »

This is why I only read the e-ink readers. I find that the glossy surface and light gives me headaches. I want it to read just like a book.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

I don't know if they damage your eyes, but if you suffer from migraines then I don't recommend them at all.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I have heard that even reading on paper can harm your eyes. It hasn't stopped me from reading.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

Most screens give out blue rays which are damaging to the eyes ...... If you have protection layer over the screen then you are safe
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

I don't know for certain but the problem is e-reading is the light at close proximity might tire your eyes or cause it to dry out from having it fixed at one position since we can adjust the screen so that we barely move our eyes, which makes our muscles exercise less. There is also that blue light hinders melatonin production which is an important sleep hormone but that applies to all light in general. Anyways, since there is no evidence that this can make u go blind, if u feel comfortable reading like that, if u have adjusted the perfect brightness and font size, go ahead and have fun. your eyes hurting is a sign that something is wrong, if it doesn't hurt you are "kinda" on the safe side
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Anguma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anguma »

I think if you take the usual precautions like distance from the screen or use of anti glare screen you should be fine.
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

I think it'll be damaging if you read for a very long time without resting your eyes.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I use Paperwhite and turn the backlighting off completely so it's not like I'm reading on a screen. Like that, I can't see how it would damage my eyes any more than a physical book would.
Ernie6988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernie6988.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Ernie6988 »

I have wondered about this too so I'm glad you asked the question. I just downloaded the free kindle app yesterday so I guess I will find out.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

I was watching Timeless and one of the characters was from the early 1900s but brought forward to the present. There was a scene where is made a list on a pad of paper and the contemporary characters asked him why he wouldn't use the e-tablet. He said "the light machines hurt" his eyes and gave him a headache. I thought it was interesting, not my experience but I (obviously) wasn't just dropped into using e-gadgets.

For me - eye strain comes from doing anything too long (reading a book, reading on an e-reader, concentrating on sewing or crocheting...). I haven't noticed deterioration of my eye sight other than changing that comes as part of natural aging process.
AnnieStone
Currently Reading: Solaris Seeks
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anniestone.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by AnnieStone »

I use the Kindle app on my tablet, so I don't feel the need to use an e-reader device. And I love the ebook idea because I can have a ton of books and them not require space on a bookshelf.

I'll admit when ebooks first came out I wasn't a fan because there is nothing like a good solid book that smells in your hands. But I've since grown used to the idea.

For me as of late doing anything too long does hurt my eye. I don't know if it's because I've used a computer for work for over 10 years or because I simply spend long hours on them before and after work or age. But I recently developed Dry eye duct which yes is very painful and I'm having to learn to adjust to it & take breaks when I can.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

aaa1234 wrote: 19 Jan 2015, 01:13 I have heard on the news that ebook reader damage your eyes. What is your opinion on the matter?
I can't speak for the news or anyone else, but it certainly appears to be having an effect on my eyse. Therefore, I suggest frequent breaks because what more can I do?
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

One way or another too much reading is harmful to eyes whether you use e-books or hard copy ones. The only solution would be to rest your eyes once in a while and also to adjust the brightness of your tablets or smartphones.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
daisybell1020
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by daisybell1020 »

Use the 20 minute rule! Every 20 minutes look away from your e-reader for a minute or 2. Prevents eye strain before it becomes a real problem. I like reading outside for this reason, since I can just stare at my plants a bit. Doesn't work if the weather sucks haha

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”