Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » E-Books and E-Readers

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Do ebook readers damage your eyes?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.

Do ebook readers damage your eyes?

Post Number:#1 by aaa1234
» 19 Jan 2015, 01:13

I have heard on the news that ebook reader damage your eyes. What is your opinion on the matter?
aaa1234

Bookshelf Size: 38 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Do ebook readers damage your eyes?

Post Number:#2 by Katherine E Wall
» 19 Jan 2015, 01:17

While I don't have an opinion on this, I do know that since I lost substantial vision in my left eye, I find it easier to read online and with an e-reader than I do reading text from a physical book. Although, that does not stop me from reading in any and all mediums.

By the way, my vision issue is not related to using an e-reader. :D
"We awaken the muse with the spirit of creativity. We entomb it with the ghoul of self-doubt."

That's right, I have a muse. It is spelled MusE. My writing is influenced by the interactions of people I meet - us and ME.
Katherine E Wall's Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper
Katherine E Wall

Bookshelf Size: 36 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#3 by Scott
» 19 Jan 2015, 01:32

Even if that were true, I imagine it could only be true of backlit ereaders which are basically tablets. Backlit ereaders are basically the same thing as smartphones, at least on your eyes.

Regular e-ink ereaders are very easy on the eyes. They look just like paper. They are not backlit, so it's not like staring into a TV screen as it is with smartphones, computers and actual TVs. I have to believe that using an e-ink ereader is better for the eyes than using a classic book made of paper. On the ereader, you can adjust the font-size and spacing to make it easier to read, and the lettering/paper doesn't get faded, smudged and bent.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Publishing Contest ~ 960 Votes ~ View Scott's Entry
Scott
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 204 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Nook Simple
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 19%

Post Number:#4 by gali
» 19 Jan 2015, 01:53

Scott wrote:Even if that were true, I imagine it could only be true of backlit ereaders which are basically tablets. Backlit ereaders are basically the same thing as smartphones, at least on your eyes.

Regular e-ink ereaders are very easy on the eyes. They look just like paper. They are not backlit, so it's not like staring into a TV screen as it is with smartphones, computers and actual TVs. I have to believe that using an e-ink ereader is better for the eyes than using a classic book made of paper. On the ereader, you can adjust the font-size and spacing to make it easier to read, and the lettering/paper doesn't get faded, smudged and bent.

I agree. I have a kindle and I find it very easy on the eyes. I adjusted the font-size on it, so it is much easier to read than certain paper books.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The House of Unexpected Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 1690 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 104%

Post Number:#5 by patrickt
» 19 Jan 2015, 08:02

"I heard it on the news..." might be a terrifying thought. It reminds me of when my 13-year old daughter told me that extraterrestrials had come to earth, had sex with humans, and produced hybrid offspring. She knew it was true because the read it in the paper. "What paper?" "The one Mom buys at the grocery store."
patrickt

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#6 by Kdorsla1
» 19 Jan 2015, 17:41

There have been studies that show regular reading can be damaging. That is why they recommend taking breaks to focus your eyes on something else. I personally used to strain my eyes to read in bad lighting. With that being said, I would imagine the adjustable lighting as well as font would be helpful instead of harmful.
Kdorsla1

Post Number:#7 by zeldas_lullaby
» 19 Jan 2015, 18:46

I experienced vision loss twice due to monitors that were brightly lit or lowered into a table. (The former was my new computer at home, the latter an employment issue.) So I keep my computer monitor's brightness and contrast all the way down now and have no problem. My eyes have always been light-sensitive, though. I'd probably be fine with an ereader, only I prefer books, so I'm not sure. (Also, you couldn't pay me enough to go to work for a company that doesn't value employee wellbeing. Not happenin' again.)

patrickt wrote:"I heard it on the news..." might be a terrifying thought. It reminds me of when my 13-year old daughter told me that extraterrestrials had come to earth, had sex with humans, and produced hybrid offspring. She knew it was true because the read it in the paper. "What paper?" "The one Mom buys at the grocery store."

HA HA HA. That's funny. I hope your daughter isn't scarred (or scared?) for life! Made me think of that real-life movie, Fire in the Sky. Freaky stuff.
zeldas_lullaby

Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: The Thorn Birds
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79 books

Post Number:#8 by Lisalovecraft
» 19 Jan 2015, 22:20

I'd be interesting in seeing if there were any studies on this before believing it.
Lisalovecraft's Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
Lisalovecraft

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by braydencrown
» 20 Jan 2015, 02:06

it's depend on the screen resolutions.
braydencrown

Post Number:#10 by lady_charlie
» 16 Feb 2015, 17:58

My mother always said I was going to ruin my eyes reading in the dark and she would turn on the light.

Fast forward a few years, turns out I can barely see out of one eye and have always compensated with the other.

So the joke is on her but now I use reading glasses and I love being able to make the font bigger on my kindle so I don't need them.
It's time to try defying gravity. (Elphaba)
lady_charlie's Latest Review: "A Turnkey or Not?" by Tony Levy
lady_charlie

Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Bookshelf Size: 10 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#11 by ehsanch
» 22 Feb 2015, 00:26

I think reading in the dark can definitely damage your eyes
ehsanch

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by petermark
» 02 Mar 2015, 04:27

yes ebook readers must damage your eyes when you lay down and reading regularly.
petermark

Post Number:#13 by Cyfir
» 09 Mar 2015, 07:13

Well, e-readers are substantially better than computers, but the best way to read is with an old fashioned book.
Cyfir

Bookshelf Size: 2 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#14 by aliba12
» 09 Mar 2015, 10:43

I heard something before, and i think if you have good resolutions it could not be as bad as a computer!
aliba12

Post Number:#15 by Miss_A
» 13 Mar 2015, 08:34

Probably. I usually adjust the brightness and make sure it's not too bright.
Miss_A

Next