Does anyone get the E-book samples before the actual book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
trefoil72
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trefoil72.html

Re: Does anyone get the E-book samples before the actual boo

Post by trefoil72 »

Always get a sample first.
Fortheloveofreading

Post by Fortheloveofreading »

Yes. I have downloaded tons of samples before downloading the full book. I think that is a great way to get sales for buyers. Some books that I ended up downloading, I probably wouldn't have bought without the sample.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Yes. I do this constantly. It's a great way for me to see if the story is the type of story I would enjoy and if it's worth it to continue reading or not. There were some books that sounded so interesting when I read the back cover and I was immediately tempted to buy them. When I read the free sample however I knew that the book wasn't for me so it definitely is a great way to gauge what you want to read.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Freida Livery
Bookshelf Size: 2897
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Freida Livery »

Stella White 47 wrote:Am I the only one here who believes in libraries?
I'm raising my hand here. I get a lot of recommendations for new books via Goodreads. I always check my library first to see if they have the electronic version of the book.. If not, I go to Amazon. I do not download samples though.
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."
— Lemony Snicket
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

Unless it's an author that I know or a series that I am reading I don't ever buy a book without trying a sample. It's not 100 percent accurate, but I can usually tell within the first few pages if I will like the book and the author's style of writing. Buying books gets expensive so I do my best to make sure I will like it before purchasing.
WillWalter13
Currently Reading: The darkest part of the forest
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willwalter13.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by WillWalter13 »

I'll do this if I'm considering buying it. I'll read the sample first. :(
Rekeshaw

Post by Rekeshaw »

I always get the sample before. It saves you money so that way you're not buying blind. Besides, I don't know about you, but usually, if I like the book any chance I get to start reading immediately is awesome with me. Sometimes I don't always have the money to buy the book right away.
nicsotir7213
Currently Reading: Team of Rivals
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicsotir7213.html

Post by nicsotir7213 »

Absolutely but there are certain authors I trust and will buy the book without the sample. If I don't know the author or the genre I am more likely to download the samples prior to purchase.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Unless it is a book that I already know I want to read or it's free, I always get the sample first. It's kind of like going to the bookstore and reading the first few pages of the book before you buy it. I just want to know that I'm going to enjoy the book and that I'm not wasting my money.
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

I don't ever read them. I just check to see what tense the book is written in, because I hate present tense writing. Other than that, I don't see any reason to read the preview. I'm not going to be able to tell if I am going to like it from just a few pages.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I usually get the sample before the book. I don't like paying for books that I don't like. I can usually tell if I'm going to like the book by reading the sample. If I like it, then I'll buy the book. I also like that the sample usually leads you to the book so you can purchase it.
cursillo86
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cursillo86.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cursillo86 »

Normally I look at the sample of the book before purchasing. I think an author needs to engage a reader fairly quickly these days. Many people do not read books often. They are used to video games, movies and TV series where action is fast-paced. I believe we have developed generational ADD. I may have, even at age 67. There are beautifully written novels that engage slowly, and it is possible that a sample would not reveal the depth of richness. Occasionally, there is writing that is so eloquent and lovely that the reading is worthwhile for the language and construction, even if the plot or story is somewhat ordinary. If I see that type of writing in a sample, I definitely will purchase. It is rare.
Kmscds27

Post by Kmscds27 »

I do. I like that I can tell the tone of the writing and where I think the book will go from the samples. Sometimes I'll get a sample then just the way the author rights bothers me so I'm glad I don't waste my money. They are pretty helpful!
Yelitzag08
Currently Reading: DIABLO NIGHTS
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yelitzag08.html
Latest Review: "The Blood on My Hands" by Shannon O'Leary

Post by Yelitzag08 »

I totally agree that the free samples are helpful when choosing a book. I am very unlikely to buy a book without at least reading a few pages of the book. Even if the book is recommended to me by a friend I would rather test it out for myself. In physical books stores I see most people reading the books before they determine if they wish to purchase them. I think in order for e-books to compete with physical books, they must let us sample it! Sometimes it just takes a few pages of the book in order to get hooked!
Latest Review: "The Blood on My Hands" by Shannon O'Leary
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I almost never read the sample. I only read the samples if it's a genre that I'm 50/50 about. It may have a good description, but I like to see how it's written. I rarely get disappointed in the books I choose. I guess it's just luck on my part. I have had a few bad ones though. At the same time, the very beginning of the book can be good and then the book ends up being disappointing. I just don't want to waste my time with the samples.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”