Do You Prefer Hard/softcover or Tablets?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
beckie08
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beckie08.html

Re: Do You Prefer Hard/softcover or Tablets?

Post by beckie08 »

My favorite would have to be hard cover, although paperbacks will work as well. I hate that they so easily get bent up, while a hard cover can stay new looking a long time. I can't imagine reading on anything but paper. The feel of the book, for me, is half the pleasure of it. To walk into a library or a book store and scan those shelves? Heaven!
Nomex78
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Nomex78 »

For me - it completely depends on where I am and what I am doing...I love going outside on a nice day with a hard cover book to read. Reading on a tablet outside is too difficult if it is bright out. However, as someone who will read into the wee hours of the night, my Kindle works great - so I am not keeping my husband up with a light. The ability to turn the brightness down and still be able to see has been great. On my beach vacations - I take soft cover books. they are sand resistant and if they happen to get wet or lost/stolen - they are much cheaper to replace :)
Elliebe
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Elliebe »

For me personally, I prefer soft cover books. They are easier to handle than hardcover books with one hand for sure. If you have fibromyalgia like myself; it is less stress on my hands. I love my tablet but for reading it is straining on the eyes. :tiphat:
Jewels951

Post by Jewels951 »

Love paperbacks :)
I prefer holding the actual book then a kindle in my opinion.
deannand

Post by deannand »

I also prefer to read a tangible book. Reading on a tablet, laptop, or phone has its pros of course, because of the fact that most people carry one of those three around, so reading is always literally at their fingertips. I just much prefer turning real pages and the smell of books—both old and new. I love everything that comes with the idea of reading an actual book.
shelley_soetosenojo
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21940">the fiery cross</a>
Currently Reading: A Taste of Seduction
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelley-soetosenojo.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B0716S5G56
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by shelley_soetosenojo »

I prefer a soft cover, not only that it is economically suitable for me but also convenient and not heavy. I do use ereaders, especially when travelling, but I prefer the smell of the paper of a conventional book when reading.
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Paulieg217
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Paulieg217 »

I love soft cover books because of their size compared to hardcover books. They fit in one hand and won't stab you if you are not paying attention. The tablets are good but I'm always moving around and if its not fully charged or there is no place to charge it, it won't last to long. Plus, nothing beats having a book in your hand so you can see how much of the book you have read.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I prefer reading soft cover books. If a tablet could spray book scented perfume I could be won over :P . However I do find it really handy that e-readers can tell you how long you actually have left by calculating your reading time :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
ronrogers

Post by ronrogers »

I prefer softcover to hardcover because when on read on a tablet I can never find the right page and my eyes start to hurt for sitting in front of a screen for so long.Maybe I have to glasses for reading.
jwebser12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwebser12.html

Post by jwebser12 »

I prefer hard/soft cover books. I have a kindle, and enjoy it and use it often, but there's just something about holding the book in your hand, and the smell of the pages, being able to dog-ear or highlight/underline/take notes. It seems more personal to me.
george_bass
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by george_bass »

In my opinion, besides that awesome childish feeling that one might experience when reading paperbacks or hardcovers, there's an important issue to be considered. What about our environment? I definitely love reading ebooks rather than physical books, this way I take care of the planet and reduce my ecological footprint. Let's leave a better world to future generations!
Maria and Esther

Post by Maria and Esther »

I prefer the feel of softcover when I am reading. However, I prefer the look of hardcovers on my shelf and I also like that they are less "destroyable". I don't mind reading on tablets, because it can be helpful to bookmark and highlight without harming a physical book, but I prefer collecting books and reading them.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Maria and Esther wrote:I prefer the feel of softcover when I am reading. However, I prefer the look of hardcovers on my shelf and I also like that they are less "destroyable". I don't mind reading on tablets, because it can be helpful to bookmark and highlight without harming a physical book, but I prefer collecting books and reading them.
These are good points, Maria and Esther. I couldn't have put it better myself! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
mijacobs
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mijacobs.html

Post by mijacobs »

I love to read paperbacks, but I'm adapting to electronic readers. They really are great to take along. I suppose their main function is to provide convenience.
dmanlian

Post by dmanlian »

I'm actually big into tablets these days. I used to always love the smell and feel of pages, but tablets make it so EASY to carry tons of books with you. Perfect device to take on vacations.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”