Do You Prefer Hard/softcover or Tablets?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Elizabeth88
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do You Prefer Hard/softcover or Tablets?

Post by Elizabeth88 »

I prefer softcover or an ereader. Softcovers are good because you can take them anywhere and they are super easy to use and don't hurt your hands like a hardcover. Ereaders are convienient because you can have a ton of books with you and they don't take up much room, they also don't have a screen like a computer so they are easier to read from.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I have a slight preference for softcover books because they are more portable than hardcover ones. However, I think that hardcover books hold up better over time, so I've purchased hardcover versions of some of my favorite books. I also love the convenience of my Kindle, although I prefer reading physical books to electronic ones.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
CrownedFawn
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crownedfawn.html

Post by CrownedFawn »

I am a collector of things I love. Books especially, but movies (DVD and VHS) as well! Perhaps as a result of this I cannot, and will not, purchase EBooks. I grew up inside the pages of my favorite books and still today find comfort inside of the book covers! I have read a few books in EBOOK format, for free thanks to an app from my local library, and am okay with it for that fact. I have then gone and purchased the physical copy, hardback preferred but not necessary, if I fell in love with the book! There's just something about the weight of a book, the smell of the pages, and the page turning that is more captivating and comforting than words on a screen!
Momof2loves1981
Favorite Author: Chris Kuzneski
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momof2loves1981.html
Latest Review: "Infected" by James Schannep
fav_author_id: 22186

Post by Momof2loves1981 »

I will never love anything more then the smell of a book. However, Since getting my Nook 3 years ago I can say I love that as well. With the Nook and Kindle apps it gives me the ability to read anywhere whenever possible on my phone which is amazing. So, I now use my phone apps most of the time(except during bath reading where paper is the safer option). Paperbacks are still a huge part of my life, my favorites are still on shelves in my room.
Latest Review: "Infected" by James Schannep
Kinstine_22

Post by Kinstine_22 »

I love reading a hardback book versus a paperback or e-reader. I guess it's simply because so many classics are hardback and I find them very appealing. Plus, they hold up a heck of a lot better than paperback especially when you have kids running/crawling around.
Stormyblue88
Currently Reading: Swimming in a Sea of Stars
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stormyblue88.html

Post by Stormyblue88 »

I prefer soft cover to be honest. There is nothing really like lying in bed and reading a good book and having to turn the pages. Call me old fashioned but I love the smell of books!
Applelady72
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Applelady72 »

I know from an environmental and economic perspective tablets are a better option, but I do prefer to read a good old fashioned hard cover or paperback. I like the feel of the book in my hands, I feel like it is a nice part of the reading experience. Currently I do use both a Kindle and hard/soft covers. I hate reading anything on my laptop, too much glare.
rajah25 +
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajah25.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by rajah25 + »

Hardcover then the pages dont bend
inghilam193
Currently Reading: Long Live the Pumpkin Queen
Bookshelf Size: 1792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inghilam193.html

Post by inghilam193 »

I definitely prefer to read hardcover books, however I do not appose soft covers. I would also chose to read a physical book before the digital version any day.
writepublishinspire
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by writepublishinspire »

When Kindles appeared in the market, I was ecstatic about having thousands of books that I can read at the touch of my fingertips. Eventually, I got tired of it and have accumulated Kindle books untouched. I am back to reading and collecting paperback and hardcover books - I just love the smell of brand new books! I love how the book cover feels on my hands. Honestly, at this point, I am torn between tablets and paperback/hardcover books. Either way I am fine actually. As long as I can read my books - I am in heaven.
jhopp21
Currently Reading: Dandalion Wine
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhopp21.html

Post by jhopp21 »

Recently I've been buying all of Ray Bradbury's books in hardcover. I'm collecting them all. They are great size and printed on cloth paper. Really beautiful. But I also have a huge paperback collection. But I do have a kindle as well. I use it when I'm away from the house and I like graphic novels on it....they are beautiful.
dpuckridge
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by dpuckridge »

I prefer hard cover books; sturdier and don't get dog eared pages like paper books.
Also easier to place and see on the book shelf.
manatee glasses
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 659">don't call me ishmael</a>
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manatee-glasses.html

Post by manatee glasses »

I prefer the hardcover/softcover books mostly because I don't have a E-reader. I think an E-reader would really nice though because my backpack wouldn't be as heavy with my reading books AND my textbooks and binders. :techie-studyinggray:
Giselle45

Post by Giselle45 »

Softcover, in case it lands on my face when I fall asleep reading in bed :)
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I love my ereaders. I have a Kobo and a Kindle. Ever since buying my very first Kobo about 4 years ago, I've read one paperback and found it kind of uncomfortable. Being more of a night time reader, I was annoyed that I had to have a light source to read. Plus I'm use to propping my ereader up or holding it with one hand.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”