Reading ebooks

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
tonya10057
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: honest illusions
Currently Reading: The next always
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 3258

Re: Reading ebooks

Post by tonya10057 »

If your talking about nooks they are great,you can download any books on it,from your library,just go here www.overdrive.com and put in your zip code.
vlarson169

Post by vlarson169 »

I read ebooks as well as traditional books. I don't have a Kindle or a Nook, but I read ebooks on my Smart Phone!! It's great. I have an Overdrive app, a Kindle App and a Nook App, as well as others. I download books from these sources as well as others. I have a Droid X, which has a larger screen than most phones and, while it's certainly smaller than a Reader, it is no different then reading a newspaper column. My phone goes pretty much everywhere I go, so whenever I have some downtime, I grab it and read. It's also very convenient for camping and traveling. There's no need to carry heavy books with me.

Vicki
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

You know I used to hate the idea of having a kindle because I was so attached to my books and couldn't imagine anything replacing them, and I am still highly attached to my books. However, when I started this website, I decided to get a Kindle Paperwhite and I really enjoy it now. I still love my normal paper books and always will, but I enjoy both now.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belynda-white.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Belynda White »

I have an ebook app on my phone and I update it every month and it's totally amazing! Got to read so many books. At least, I got my Shakespearean books with me first hand.?
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Subnavigation54

Post by Subnavigation54 »

I have a kindle and I read ebooks. I prefer normal books but I don't mind ebooks from time to time. Another plus is that you can get them cheaper.
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

All the books I read now are ebooks. I read on my Kindle. Actually, I have two. I'm perfectly capable of curling up with my Kindle but I usually sit in my chair. Back when the world was paper books I always had a book with me. Occasionally, I had two so if I finished one I wouldn't be stranded.

When I was working I read almost all non-fiction related to my work. When I retired I switched and 95% of my reading now is fiction.

I used to love going to The Tattered Cover in Denver and spending the morning browsing. Now, I browse Kindle EBooks on line.

I still have a few paper books. My books of photographs by famous photographers don't move to eink well. Travel Guides where I'm moving back and forth between sections is better with paper and lots of colored bookmarks.

I am a compulsive reader but the media for the book is not a big concern of mine. If I want the smell of a used bookstore when I read, I can always get a cloth soaked in cat pee and let it mildew.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I read eBooks rarely. I prefer printed books. They give me more pleasure in reading than eBooks.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Penielmike
Currently Reading: The World's Greatest Serial Killers
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Penielmike »

My opinion is that reading ebooks has some advantage over the traditional reading. In the dark, you do not need external light...you just keep reading from your screen.
Kovna Louis
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Kovna Louis »

I do read e-books, but not nearly as fast and as happily as I read paperbacks. I have yet to finish (and in many cases, even start) e-books I downloaded on my tablet over a year ago. Not because they're not interesting, far from it : I took my sweet time downloading some of the most interesting e-books you could find on the net, which includes books by Jane Austen and Arthur Conan Doyle. But to my disappointment, the will to read them just isn't there. I blamed it on being busy with work (Which is a false excuse because work or no work, nothing ever keeps me from starting and finishing an interesting paperback), but even now that I'm on vacation for 2 and a half months and got plenty of time to waste, I still cannot bring myself to do it. What's it gonna take ? Help ! :?
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

I enjoy paperbacks more than e-books, but I try to adjust my gadget's settings so that it would feel that I am reading on paperback.
-rk
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

I do read ebooks, but mostly I prefer reading the paperback version. It is nicecto hold a book while reading it
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

The Kindle Paperwhite is my solution because I turn off the backlight altogether so it's not like I'm looking at a screen!
Elke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elke.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Elke »

When they first came out, I didn't like the idea of E-books but now I kind of prefer it. It reads easier than some books and it's a lot lighter to carry around with me.
But the best experience is reading on an actual e-reader. Instead of a computer.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I for a long time didn't think that I would enjoy ebooks. I love the feeling of holding a book and seeing my progress. Once I read an eBook on my kindle I realized that is so much easier not to lose your place when reading. There is no glare and you can focus on one page at a time. I have thousands of ebooks and the fact that they don't take up physical space is amazing.
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Post by Honeybeetle »

Since our first-generation Kindle died, I've been using my laptop or phone running the Kindle app as my reader. A real ereader beats either of those, but I can't really justify buying another gadget when I have things that I can use already.

I used to think I'd always prefer paper books, but honestly whenever I get one as a gift or something now I wish it were an ebook instead! Physical books take up so much room, get lost, get things spilled on them, etc.
Holler about books on Twitter with me @DextroColeo! :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”