IPhone with Kindle app vs. ereader

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Bookworm_22
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm-22.html

IPhone with Kindle app vs. ereader

Post by Bookworm_22 »

I have thought about purchasing an ereader. I even told my husband not to get me one as a gift last year because I enjoy using my phone. I am 24 and have no vision issues. What advantages are there to having an ereader? I haven't spent much time researching them. Would it be worth it to buy an ereader or should I just stick with my iPhone?
shayyah94

Post by shayyah94 »

I used to do the same until I got an ereader. I have a Kindle Paperwhite which I use to read ebooks. It was an impulse purchase, but nevertheless it really paid off. It goes everywhere with me. One particular advantage of getting an ereader for your books would be the battery life for your phone. I could imagine that reading ebooks on your phone might put a bit of a dent your phone's battery life during the day? A Kindle Paperwhite (not sure about any other ereaders but I imagine it must be somewhat similar) has a battery life of up to two months but it really depends on how often you use it. Another would be a bigger screen. In the end it's up to you.
Bookworm_22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm-22.html

Post by Bookworm_22 »

Thank you, few of my friends are heavy readers so I have been hesitant to get their opinion.
Lilianar_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianar.html

Post by Lilianar_ »

I love my Kindle Fire ! Not only do you get longer battery life but you can use your kindle as a place to storage your books !
JaiD

Post by JaiD »

I've owned 2 nooks I'm the past. The first to come out and the simple touch. For me I ended up putting the both app (kindle and nook) on my iPhone and iPad. I use them more and ended up donating the nooks.
BBKelly2106
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bbkelly2106.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by BBKelly2106 »

I have used both kindle and nook apps on my phone and tablet as well as the nook simple touch and nook HD. Thus far my preference is to have an ereader with the nook HD being preferred over the simple touch. The nook HD gives me the feel of my tablet but with less cost and less weight. It is easier to stick in my purse when I am on the go, and I don't mind using it out by the pool or at the beach because it is less expensive to replace if damaged or lost. Also, I can keep my work activities on my tablet and my books/ magazines on my ereader. When comparing use of apps on the phone I simply read to fast for the small screen - my hand has to sit poised over the phone to turn the page so frequently!
AryanaMender
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aryanamender.html

Post by AryanaMender »

I have the Kindle app on my phone, but I prefer my Nook HD+ if I'm going to be reading for a long period of time. For one, I would completely drain my battery life on my phone and the screen on my Nook is bigger so it's more comfortable to read on.
book babe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-babe.html

Post by book babe »

I prefer the ereader to the kindle app. simply because the phone is so small...Don't get me wrong, I will use it in a pinch if my kindle battery is low, or is otherwise not available. I just feel like the rate of page turning is so much faster when I'm reading on the phone, as opposed to my kindle, which is more like the actual size of a book.
Hannaa_Campbell
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannaa-campbell.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Hannaa_Campbell »

Well, I've tried both and for me it has to be an ereader. An Iphone's screen is too small to read off of.
"Pain demands to be felt" - John Green
toshilou
Favorite Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: The Night Circus
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toshilou.html
Latest Review: "Outcast" by Marc Saville
fav_author_id: 5235

Post by toshilou »

I have both and it's MUCH better having an ereader. The app on the phone can be convenient, but it's just so small. It'll give you a headache and hurt your eyes to read a whole book on an iPhone.
Latest Review: "Outcast" by Marc Saville
alex_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex.html

Post by alex_ »

Ereader
Mmissyrea

Post by Mmissyrea »

I pad. I use both kindle and nook apps.
mmosier

Post by mmosier »

I started off using the kindle app on my iPhone. Then my dad got me a kindle touch for my birthday. I realized it was much morr convenient when buying the books and things. A while after getting my kindle touch my fiance got me a kindle fire for our anniversary and I absolutely love it! Definitely worth having the ereader. I always thought the app was just fine for me until I actually got the kindle.
kaitlyniskay
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyniskay.html

Post by kaitlyniskay »

I prefer my iPhone to read on, I just fell it's easier to remember to grab, though I do have an ereader and will use it often too.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I have to agree that the battery life is the biggest pro for me using my kindle in addition to a smartphone. My phone battery just can't last long enough, especially since I have to use it a lot for other things throughout the day, and I have no way to charge during the day because I am always traveling. Plus, I feel like it reads more like a book... 8)

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”