IPhone with Kindle app vs. ereader

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
NookWorm
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nookworm.html

Re: IPhone with Kindle app vs. ereader

Post by NookWorm »

i Use the Nook app on my iPhone and the Nook and Kindle app n my iPad
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Yeah, why not have them all!??!
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and a Nexus 5 smartphone with the Android Kindle app. Over 95% of my reading is done on the Paperwhite.

Reasons:
1. I find the eink reader more pleasing.
2. I can read the ereader in dim light, bright sunlight, and everything in between.
3. Since I use the ereader almost all the time I'm more comfortable operating it than I am operating the Kindle app.

But, I do use the Nexus 5 at times. I was actually quite surprised I even could read on such a small screen.

Reasons:
1. I have it with me and don't have my ereader with me.

That's the only reason. It's rare I don't have my Kindle but when I'm meeting a friend at Sam's Club on Sunday to buy groceries I read my Nexus 5 because my friend is always late and I'm inside. If I'm meeting someone in a park I usually can't use my Nexus 5 unless I find dark shade.

If you enjoy your iPhone and want to use the Kindle app you'll probably be quite happy.
Patricia Dusenbury

Post by Patricia Dusenbury »

Reading on my phone hurt my eyes - the original post said no vision issues. I hope it stays that way. I started out with none, but after lots of reading on my phone and computer using kindle apps, I had eyestrain. I love my paperwhite and which I'd bought one sooner.
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and I have the Kindle app on my Nexus 5. I read on the Paperwhite 98% of the time. I'm a compulsive reader and the Nexus 5 with the app is for the rare times I'm caught without my ereader.

Why prefer the Kindle. I prefer the size for reading a book. I prefer the e-ink screen which allows me to read outside and in direct sunlight.

-- Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:18 am --

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and I have the Kindle app on my Nexus 5. I read on the Paperwhite 98% of the time. I'm a compulsive reader and the Nexus 5 with the app is for the rare times I'm caught without my ereader.

Why prefer the Kindle. I prefer the size for reading a book. I prefer the e-ink screen which allows me to read outside and in direct sunlight. Now that my Kindles have a lighted screen, not a backlit screen, there is no advantage to the Nexus 5 other than I sometimes have it with me when I don't have my Kindle. If I have both, the Kindle is always the choice for reading.
Aivlys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

I use both a kindle and the kindle app on my phone. It really depends on the circumstances - in the dark, I like the backlit screen for ease of reading in dim light. By day, I almost always prefer my kindle unless I'm not taking a purse, then I cope with using my phone to read but my phone screen has a lot of glare outside. And as others have mentioned, the battery life is poor. Also, a kindle is easier/cheaper to replace than my phone if I drop it in a pool or run over it with the car or leave it somewhere. And even the screen on my kindle touch seems hardier than my phone screen; e-readers without touch screens can take even more abuse.
Janik
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janik.html

Post by Janik »

Having both is an added bonus, but an e-reader is better in my opinion.
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I just got a kindle paper white yesterday(actually it's my sisters but I use it because she doesn't like to read:( but anyways I have a nook also that's mine and I personally like both of them. I would probably recommend getting a bigger screen(like the kindle fire hd) which is the biggest kindle screen because then you can better see and read and your eyes don't have to concentrate on a little screen.The priority is to get a big screen.I have nook hd and kindle paperwhite and that's what I would recommend to you.Hope this helps!
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I have both, but I actually like the app a little better, because it tells me what page I'm on for most of my books. It also seems to work faster, function better, and is easier to navigate. It sure is small, but, for short periods of time, it's perfect for my needs.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Liz-112

Post by Liz-112 »

I have a first generation kindle and I love it, I have seen other people's books on the iPhone and I find the glare to be tiring to the eyes where as the kindle is specifically made to have the same effect on eyes that reading a book does.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

I have both. I started with the app for my LG optimus L9 but the screen is quite small to read hours on end, so I decided to invest on a Kindle and been using it tirelessly since then.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
sammybsu7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammybsu7.html

Post by sammybsu7 »

My biggest complaint would be having to carry around another devise.
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

An e-reader is better. Buy a Kindle Paperwhite or a plan Nook Glowlight. You won't get distracted by Tumblr or YouTube then.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

There are many. You get easy eyes because the display is better, it even works in the sunlight. Longer battery times and all that, consider having one immediately
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
achase75

Post by achase75 »

I think that IPhone works well with various apps, very well and are very reliable too. I use the Kindle app quite a lot on my IPhone and I find it very useful and easy is well. :D :D

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”