If you were rich enough would you have both versions

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Re: If you were rich enough would you have both versions

Post by EWatson02 »

Part of my problem when buying physical books is that more often than not, they get read once and then put aside, never to be picked up again. So they sit in the house gathering dust and cluttering my personal space. It's not that I don't want physical books in the house, I just don't want piles of them.

So I guess my response is, I probably wouldn't keep two separate versions. I understand that data isn't infallible and that it's not something that's guaranteed to exist, but I also wouldn't want unnecessary clutter. I've been moving toward ebooks, but if I want a physical copy of a book, I try to get it from the library. That way, if I read something and lose interest in it, or read it once and am satisfied that I don't need to read it again, I can always return it. And, bonus, it's free!
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

My dream house includes a big library, so whenever I love a book i read on my e reader i'd make a point of looking for and buying the hardcover. I now have a list of books I want to have a physical copy of, so when it's Christmas or my birthday I send this list to my sisters and friends. 8)
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

I would go for both. I love collecting stuff; both electronically and physically.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I have done this for precisely two books. Both of them are those I've loved in paperback format and so wanted to have a copy with me wherever I went - hence the Kindle version :)
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I've never thought of this before as I always just think about adding to my physical library. Yet, I suppose if I were rich enough, yes, I'd like both versions. That way I could expand my physical library while also having access to my books on the go.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

JessiAnne26 wrote: 06 May 2014, 15:14 If you had a lot of money would you have all of your books on an e-reader and in hard/paperback/physical copy?
does anyone do this already? If you do what makes it worth it? (i think it's a pretty cool idea, i'd like to see the volume of space all of the books i've read takes up)
I would fill up an entire room with hard physical copies. #Dreaming :tiphat:
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

EWatson02 wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 19:39 Part of my problem when buying physical books is that more often than not, they get read once and then put aside, never to be picked up again. So they sit in the house gathering dust and cluttering my personal space. It's not that I don't want physical books in the house, I just don't want piles of them.

So I guess my response is, I probably wouldn't keep two separate versions. I understand that data isn't infallible and that it's not something that's guaranteed to exist, but I also wouldn't want unnecessary clutter. I've been moving toward ebooks, but if I want a physical copy of a book, I try to get it from the library. That way, if I read something and lose interest in it, or read it once and am satisfied that I don't need to read it again, I can always return it. And, bonus, it's free!
I feel the same way too! :D
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Even if I were rich enough I would not have both versions unless I really like the book. I'd rather put the money to a good use than buy both versions when I know for a fact that I won't be able to read them again and again.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

If I had the money, I jul probably just have all my books in real hardback copies because I love being able to hold a book in hand while reading
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I actually do this but it has virtually nothing to do with richness. If it is the case where I've already had the hard copy of the book, I would probably download it from sites like this one that offer books for reviews. I do this so if the physical copy is in any way lost or misplaced I'd always have the soft copy to go back to. If I have the soft copy of the book and it's a really good read, I'd find some place with the book offered at a fair price and purchase it. I like the duality of it, and as I am often iffy about my reading medium, this is the perfect solution.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
emma28
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by emma28 »

I would, i love reading and keep a hard copy of the book in a safe place specially if the book is good.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Yes I would! There is nothing like a room full of books, all the books from all my favourite series arranged together.. Ohhh! There will also be a section featuring musty old books.. Yes I definitely would buy each and every book I have read the electronic versions of.
apwaldrop
Currently Reading: The Diary of a snoopy cat
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by apwaldrop »

I would definitely have both. Who doesn't want their own library? That sounds amazing. I would own quite the collection. E-books for on the go and the physical copies for when I get home or want a book to take with me somewhere. You could also loan books out and have a lot of resource material for when you had children too.
Aixa Miller
Currently Reading: Wicked Designs
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aixa-miller.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Aixa Miller »

If I had all the money in the world, I would. Right now, I only have my favorites on both e-reader and handbook.
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

If i were rich enough i would have paperback/physical copy of every book which i have read till now. It would be exciting to own this many books and to reread them whenever i want.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”