Overdrive

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Re: Overdrive

Post by Star88 »

I have it and I love it! I like how I can reserve copies just like in a real library.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

I have heard about it from somewhere but haven't checked it out yet
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Overdrive is amazing! I have three library memberships that I use with my Overdrive account. Being able to get books instantly and for free is great and you can't beat getting free audiobooks. I listen to them over Bluetooth during my commute and at work. Another app my library offers for audiobooks is RBdigital. It offers a wider selection of free audiobooks, but not all libraries use it.
Sandi
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Blessed Child</a>
Currently Reading: The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Sandi »

Overdrive is wonderful! I use it to download audiobooks, ebooks and to request books currently not in my library.
It is great for light reading and a real money-saver as well!
ruishigan
Currently Reading: Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by ruishigan »

I love Overdrive. I honestly go a little crazy checking stuff out. It's nice because back when I used to borrow physical books, I was always hit with late fees because I'd keep forgetting to return or renew. I love that ebooks just "expire" and you don't have to worry about late fees.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

ZeroChill wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 09:50 I have heard about it from somewhere but haven't checked it out yet
You should definitely use it!! It is way more convenient then going in to check out a book. And there are never late fees.
sammiereads
Currently Reading: Truthwitch
Bookshelf Size: 546

Post by sammiereads »

I love how I don't have to purposely go to a library to borrow and return a book. It also notifies you when you get a book that you put on hold. Love it so much for the convenience.
sarah92480
Favorite Author: Kim Harrison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah92480.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4193

Post by sarah92480 »

I also love the convenience of using Overdrive...I can browse and find a book to read without actually leaving my house. I do love going to the actual library too, since there really is no substitute for the feel and smell of a real book. :)
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

I love Overdrive. I didn't have a library card to the local library after my husband and I moved but I found out that the library in a nearby city offers online cards. I could sign up online and it allows me to check out digital material only. All I needed was to be a resident of the state. It's great, and I heard a lot of big cities do this so if you have a major city library in your state you could check this out.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Yes, Overdrive is really the best when it comes to borrowing remotely. However, I wish it had better options for sorting. It currently just displays books in alphabetical order and that becomes a pain sometimes.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip&rsquo;s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

Greedy_Reader wrote: 01 Jun 2015, 10:08 I agree, it's great for borrowing remotely, but I have a real issue with its sorting. It is in alphabetical order so browsing is quite annoying. If there are any tips on what I'm doing wrong, it's be much appreciated!
Usually, there is a drop down menu above the covers where you can sort the books by expiration date or most recent as well. I really wish they offered a way to sort by author though.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Christineegm
Favorite Book: And I Darken
Currently Reading: Love and Friendship
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christineegm.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Christineegm »

I love Overdrive! It's great for reading books on the go and not having to worry about library fines. When I'm luck I can even find copies of books that are not available in print at my local library.
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

Overdrive is one of my most commonly used e-readers. I use it when the library closest to home doesn't have the book I want to read. My library takes quite a while to have a newly published e-book available though. Is it just my national library or is it true for all libraries? The wait for a new book is excruciating...
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

This Overdrive app seems very helpful, I will definitely check if my local library uses it.
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

I love, love, love OverDrive. It's become my main source of reading material lately. Since I often can't make it to the library during opening hours and audiobooks are so much easier for me to get through faster (I can do my work while listening). I've also used apps such as Hoopla, but the downside to that is you can only borrow 3 items a month. That's definitely not enough for me! The only complaint I have with OverDrive is there are a few books I've wanted to check out and have been unable to because my library doesn't have the rights to them.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”