Nook, Kindle, or IPad?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
patrickt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Nook, Kindle, or IPad?

Post by patrickt »

I have two Kindles and a smartphone. I read on the two Kindle Paperwhites and the smartphone, a Nexus 5, is for emergencies. Don't we all have reading emergencies?

I am not interested in the device. I'm interested in reading books. For years I procrastinated saying I wanted to wait until there was a standard format. It didnt' happen. So, I started looking for the best source of what I might read. I live in Mexico and read in English and when I started looking the best source, by far, was Amazon and the Kindle. So, that's what I got.

I do demand e-ink in an e-reader. I wouldn't want a dedicated e-reader with an LCD screen.

Lastly, I understand that Apple customers are happy reading on their IPad and will be until the day Apple comes out with an e-reader. Then they'll line up to get one.
BearMountainBooks
Favorite Author: Frank Tuttle
Favorite Book: When Demons Walk -Patricia Briggs
fav_author_id: 13598

Post by BearMountainBooks »

For anyone interested, there is a new Kobo Trivia contest going on (coupons off books and possible chance to win a reader). These happen monthly.

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/cli ... eorders%2F

I tend to post extra coupons at the blog if I'm not using them and also some of the answers! You can go back and play days you missed (play once a day.) I don't have a kobo reader (yet) but you can read kobo books with the apps.
Maria saw her first dragon while gardening. The gnome tried to take pictures, but dragons are very fast. The fairy finally snapped a shot, but the dragon came by and flamed it to ashes! No one wants to get burned so, sadly, there will not be pictures!
angelawinters
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelawinters.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by angelawinters »

I must make a confession here. I have always loved a real book. I love the smell of the book, the feel of holding it in my hand. But, with that being said, I have thought about getting one of the three listed in this thread. I know after reading that each one has its pros and cons. The only thing that I would like to be able to do is besides download books to read is to be able to load audio books onto it as well. Which one would be the best for that purpose?
BearMountainBooks

Most tablets have audio. Most of the higher end Kindles allow audio books too. The paperwhites (the ones under 100) do not). You probably want one of the Kindle Fires, but verify that it can handle audio books before buying!
Maria saw her first dragon while gardening. The gnome tried to take pictures, but dragons are very fast. The fairy finally snapped a shot, but the dragon came by and flamed it to ashes! No one wants to get burned so, sadly, there will not be pictures!
5683linda

Post by 5683linda »

I am old school. When I read the subject line, nook to me meant, "do I prefer to curl up with a good book or read on Kindle or IPad!"
angelawinters
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelawinters.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by angelawinters »

Thanks so much!! I appreciate the advice. I have not researched them at all. I know when I read about products, its generally the good stuff that you read. That's why I wanted to find out from people in the forum who have experience using these products.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I think that all three have their merits that make them a good buy. The biggest thing I look for now is storage space when looking to buy them because I really seem to run out of that way too quick on my electronic devices. I also seem to have the same problem with my bookshelves too! :roll:
BearMountainBooks

rssllue wrote:I think that all three have their merits that make them a good buy. The biggest thing I look for now is storage space when looking to buy them because I really seem to run out of that way too quick on my electronic devices. I also seem to have the same problem with my bookshelves too! :roll:
I think some of the kobo products have SD cards.

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/cli ... d=0&type=4

I'm not sure which ones do or if they all do. I know their new waterproof one does-- the h2o. That's a cool looking device.
I have a Kindle but wish it came with an SD card.
ThosHowellBookReview
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: Black Hills
Currently Reading: Man and his Symbols by Carl Jung
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thoshowellbookreview.html
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by ThosHowellBookReview »

I have a Nook Color and a Kindle HD. The Kindle is easier to use when reading email. I plan on getting the new Samsung Galaxy Nook so I can have a smart phone and an eBook reader.
Allison
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison.html

Post by Allison »

Kindle....all the way. It works well, it reads well. Its an all around great e-reader. I also love the amount of space it has. I don't ever see myself running out of space and I have tonnes of books on my Kindle.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

I only have experience with iPad and I have it too so . . . Ipad!! :D
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
postertext

Post by postertext »

I did a similar comparison a few years ago. I went with the Nook simple touch. The ability to root it and install reading apps was a clear winner for me.
tamato
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamato.html

Post by tamato »

As far as reading goes --whichever one you can afford without breaking your bank. If you want more functionality and apps then go with iPad or Kindle Fire.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I definitely like my Nook. It was affordable and easy to use. You can also download the Kindle app on it so you can get Nook books and Kindle books. I also like that I don't feel like I am going to break it all the time like I would with an iPad. Personally, I've never used a Kindle, so I don't really know what they are like.
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

I have a Nook HD but I never use the reader that comes on it. I have the Kindle app and Overdrive installed. I use those instead.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”