EBook or Hardcopy?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
markg11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markg11.html

Re: EBook or Hardcopy?

Post by markg11 »

In the decision about EBook or Hardcopy. I prefer a good old fashioned hardback. There is nothing like the feel of the paper of a book. The sound of the page turning and the crack of the spine when you open the book. I also like the feel of the cover. I will read an EBook and had even tried writing one, but it is just not the same. I hope books (paperback or hardback do not go away.
MystAngelBlossom
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Death of Miss Jane Austen
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mystangelblossom.html

Post by MystAngelBlossom »

That's a hard choice for most people now a days. Personally I like hardbacks and paperbacks better than ebooks. There's just something about holding a book and turn real pages that brings a story to life for me. Ebooks are nice in their own way. Most common way bring the prices. But nothing beats a real book in your hands.
ThackerayLover
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thackeraylover.html

Post by ThackerayLover »

I prefer ebooks because they do not need to be stored anywhere, they're easily protable, their always present in my bag, and they go with me.
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

I prefer the hard copy, but ebooks are cheaper and you don't have to worry about where to put them on your full bookcase.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
Jschutte
Currently Reading: The Black Prism
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jschutte.html

Post by Jschutte »

Hardcopy of course!! But, EBook is great for going on long trips and not having to bring a while other bag just for books
quadbrookie
Favorite Author: More than one
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quadbrookie.html
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by quadbrookie »

Unfortunately, I am a quadriplegic so, ebooks have become a lifesaver for me. I would prefer the actual hard copy but, obviously I can't hold it, let alone turn the pages!

-- 30 Sep 2015, 19:00 --

Unfortunately, I am a quadriplegic so, ebooks have become a lifesaver for me. I would prefer the actual hard copy but, obviously I can't hold it, let alone turn the pages!
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
KailMarie20
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kailmarie20.html

Post by KailMarie20 »

most definitely hardcopies!! I got rid of my kindle because I used it once and hated not holding a real book. There's no satisfaction of seeing the pile of books on a shelf.
J_quinn

Post by J_quinn »

I read both, my nook is very convenient, but I must say there is nothing better than holding an actual book in your hands
laurayam
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurayam.html
Latest Review: "Jason's Luck" by Amanda Morrissey & Katie Macway (The M. Girls)
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by laurayam »

I know it sounds weird but I prefer to read fiction on my kindle and non-fiction as a hard copy. I think it's because when I read non-fiction, I want to be able to physically flip back through the book if I need to check back on something. I usually read my books off my iPhone. After finally giving in and buying a kindle, I find that I really enjoyed reading off of it.
Latest Review: "Jason's Luck" by Amanda Morrissey & Katie Macway (The M. Girls)
makenna-16
Currently Reading: The Codex
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makenna-16.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by makenna-16 »

I'm a fan of both. I love the smell of Hardcopy and the feel of it in my hands, but I also love how I can carry hundreds of books around with me at one time. :)
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

Both, however, I've been borrowing hardcopies the last few months.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Richard Falken

Post by Richard Falken »

Paper edition for me all the way. Electronic copies are valuable, but many can be messed by digital lockups like DRM and file specifications that are patented or have restrictions on use.

In the case of leisure books, the difference is smaller, but in the case of technichal books, electronic copies are far less useful. You can take notes, bend pages and put multiple bookmarks all around your 1 000 pages long tech book. The content you want to locate is usually easier to find and you are simply more productive with a paper copy. Electronic versions can be searched or bookmarked using digital means in some cases, but they are still just less versatile and clumsy there.
Signatures were traditionally used to append contact information at the end of Usenet posts or emails. Now they are only used for bloating the posts with useless code and the moderators will kick you if you use them for their original purpose.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I, honestly, prefer hard copy but, just like kio, I'm having a hard time finding space for them in the house. :(
Noriki23
Currently Reading: The Cruel Prince
Bookshelf Size: 952

Post by Noriki23 »

EBook or Hardcopy

I'm a teenager but I prefer hardcopy over eBook sometimes just for the break from the monotonous use of one hand instead of two. I think yes, technology is taking over everything but there's something special about having a book in your hands that a EBook doesn't have
taniaorellana
Currently Reading: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taniaorellana.html

Post by taniaorellana »

I agree with this reply:
junogirl wrote:i think that for most people these days, it's a matter of convenience and technology. unless you are a hardcore "book" person, many people will go for the e-reader for the simplicity. the problem for me is that much of 'book reading' is lost when you are flipping pages on an e-reader. i need the texture, the smell and the authenticity of the actual book in my hands to actually enjoy reading. Now, obviously, it doesn't matter too much sometimes as i have been known to enjoy 'books on tape' as well as books in my hands but i do believe technology is taking away from the pleasure of reading a great book.
I do not mind reading on my phone, iPad, computer or Kindle, because eBooks are really useful and hey can be life savers, but there is something about a hardcopy that makes them special and kind of irreplaceable.
I mostly read on a device when I feel like it, since I'm not always in the mood to grab an actual book (but I need to read anyway!)

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”