EBook or Hardcopy?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Tfree
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 65

Re: EBook or Hardcopy?

Post by Tfree »

I love reading both, and I generally read more ebooks (with a Kindle reader on an iPad) for two reasons: It's a little easier to read in bed at night when my mate is sleeping (no book light needed, and less noise made), and I like to borrow ebooks online from libraries, using Overdrive.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Its more of a matter of convenience for me as ebooks don't occupy as much space. The occasional paperback however, is much appreciated.
mani_123
Currently Reading: The Mystery Of Flight 2222
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by mani_123 »

I always prefer hardcopy over ebooks. But ebooks are more easily available than hardcopies so I compromise. They are easy to carry around and these days it's not always possible to carry a hardcopy for each book you own. So even if hardcopies give me the feel of reading, sometimes I go with ebooks.
rainydaysc64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 834
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainydaysc64.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler
Reading Device: B00OZTU156

Post by rainydaysc64 »

I love both. I love the feel of actually having a book in my hands and being able to turn the pages. But at the same time, I don’t mind Ebooks either. They’re nice because they are easy to access but also because I don’t have to worry about having to find a spot for an Ebook on my shelf.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

electramia wrote: 28 Mar 2014, 21:46 I've never really been a fan of EBook but desperate times call for desperate measures. When I do need the convenience of reading from my IPhone/IPad, I feel slightly disconnected in comparison to if I had the actual hardcopy in my hands. Considering all the libraries in my town either went out of business or is currently moving locations, EBooks are life savers. But I do get my hands on a hardcopy when I can.
I feel like actual books are growing extinct, so I'm curious: is it because of our generation's festering need to convert everything to technology or honest preference?
I think it is a bit of both.

I remember being very young and having to plan what books to get out of the library specifically for car trips if we had to go somewhere further away than twenty minutes or if traffic was going to be a problem. I hated not having something to read in the car because the radio stations kept playing too many ads and the scenery was boring, so I had to get several books just for car trips. Then I had to worry about carrying them, making sure they stayed together, and putting them back in the bag for library returns. Now I can preload books from Hoopla before I leave the house and I usually don't run out of books to read in the car.

From a more general standpoint, ebooks can offer more options for readers - out of print or rare books are much easier to find as digital books and readers can control the formatting of the book, such as font or print size, to better suit individual needs. Ebooks also can provide additional items, e.g. dictionary definitions or images, in a way that they don't interrupt the text.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I think electronic is easier to get so you can read more. I get more electronic than hard copy books because I like to read/delete it first but if I enjoy it I get a hard copy so that I can keep it & I know I will be rereading the book. So electronic is for convenience but hard copy if I enjoy it or plan to reread the book(s).
naveenp
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by naveenp »

Now technology is changing rapidly. Daily we are getting the lot of apps that will b helpful reading books electronically. In the past many people prefer paperback and they spent their time reading books. Now we are getting EBooks easily with a single click. There is no change in books content whether it is Softcopy book or Ebook. But look and feel is totally different.
Bookgirleva
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bookgirleva »

For me it is preference. My home was overflowing with books, and then if when I would start reading existing series i sometimes would have to go to multiple book stores to find the others. When I got an ereader I said that I would still read hard copies, that my kindle was only for books i couldn't find, the ones only published in ebook form, and free books. Once I started using my kindle i never went back. The only hardcopy books I have bought in the last five years were gifts for other people. I like having my entire library at hand.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I like eBooks are convenient and environmental friendly since trees don't have to be cut down to publish them, but I still love hard copies as much.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

ebooks. I eat books and buying hardcopies want practical anymore for me. Also, realized I could save a small forest if I made the switch.
megdeleon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by megdeleon »

I personally enjoy both EBook and Hardcopy books. It all depends on where I am at and what I am reading. For school reasons EBooks are usually the way to go and are so convenient. I also, however love the original way of learning, which is using Hardcopy books. Either way is great for me. :D
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Every day I am drawn more to the ebook, by all the reading possibilities it brings as compared to the hard copy.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

That is a hard one. The convenience of ebooks is unparalleled, but you cannot beat holding the book in your hand. My main reason for liking the hard copy better is because you can better gauge the progress you are making on the book. Also you don't have to charge a book :p
Evince
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evince.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by Evince »

For me it has always been ebook though i like hardcover but ebook got it all already.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I do prefer and enjoy my kindle. It's just more convenient to have more than two, three books at a time on my kindle, and I can carry it anywhere I want without worrying about the bulk, which comes with real books. Plus, e-readers comes with many functionalities like you can look up any word at just a tap, access your notes or highlights easily. And the most important thing, it saves trees. However, I do like to build my personal collection and own hardcopy of some of my very favourite classic books that I know I'll want to always keep with me. I agree technology is increasingly taking over our lives, but I do think it has its own positive sides and makes our life easier in many ways.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”