EBook or Hardcopy?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
minniemouse91
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minniemouse91.html
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O
Publishing Contest Votes: 12

Re: EBook or Hardcopy?

Post by minniemouse91 »

I love both. If I'm certain about a book or an author, I would much rather have the hard copy so that others can read it. If I'm trying out an author for the first time, I'm much more likely to get an ebook, and then purchase the hard cover later if I really like it.
kaceyann65
Currently Reading: Border Post 99
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaceyann65.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by kaceyann65 »

I got my first ebook for a Christmas a few years ago and kept trying to turn the pages

-- 13 Nov 2015, 15:56 --

I got my first ebook for a Christmas a few years ago and kept trying to turn the pages
Euthyphr0
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Euthyphr0 »

I like both.

I'm sure others have probably mentioned all the advantages and disadvantages of the two, but i can offer an analogy I think makes sense to my point of view: An e-book is like ordering take-out from a fairly nice restaurant, the food is the same as dining in but you miss out on the presentation and atmosphere, etc. However on the other hand you don't have to tip, dress up, or wait for a table.
bh2win
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bh2win.html

Post by bh2win »

So I'm sure everyone here has given the reasons I'm about to give but I'll list my reasons. Whether you go Nook, Kindle Paperwhite or any other smart device, it will depend on the person. Me? Here are my reasons why:

-Save Space
-Easier on the eyes (font can be big or small)
-Constant book size (book won't change from big or small)
-No fear of pages ripping
-No fear of losing the book, you may lose the device but it's uploaded on the cloud
-Neat features of reading device (like Dictionary/Wikipedia at the click of a button)
-Lightweight
-Share/rent books to other people from device
*MY FAVORITE ONE* - You can put PDFs or convert e-books you find for free online on your device

There's a ton of reasons, the biggest for me is how portable the ebook reader is. That's #1.
PaulR
Favorite Author: Robert Ardrey
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">African Genesis</a>
Currently Reading: My Ishmael
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by PaulR »

The feel and smell of paper books is irreplaceable, but ebooks are searchable and come with the dictionary.
BookShelfy91
Favorite Author: Elayne Mitchell
Currently Reading: The Black Echo
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by BookShelfy91 »

I prefer hard copy, most of my books are in hard copy. I tend to use the free samples of ebooks on my phone to decide whether I am going to like a new series or a particular book.

Shelfy
ReyElden9817
Favorite Author: Kathy Reichs
Currently Reading: Natchez Burning
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyelden9817.html
fav_author_id: 5994

Post by ReyElden9817 »

I would rather have a hardcopy because I don't like e-books, I love to feel of a book's well worn edges and the thought of all the people that had the book before me. I despise e-books because you have to have wi-fi when you want to get a book, with physical books you can just but it at a discount book store.
Imfeelingbookie
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Imfeelingbookie »

Hardcopy! Your book will never run out of battery on you and you don't have to compete with the light to try and actually see what the words are (depending on your device). Also, this may sound a bit weird, but books smell so good. Hearing the pages turn is a comfort sound, and you can't get the same feeling from an eBook.
theduchess
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by theduchess »

Ebooks are great when u move around a lot or dont have a set time or location for reading. Can stress my eyes out though... Beats sitting without anything to read :? :D
readitwrite02

Post by readitwrite02 »

Generally speaking, I prefer Hardcopies of books. I love the way they feel and smell. There is something magical about holding a Hardcopy in your hands. It feels like a present from the author themselves.

However, I have to admit with some shame, I've mostly switched to ebooks lately. I still read the occasional Hardcopy, but not often enough. Ebooks are more convenient when travelling: especially with luggage weight restriction these days, it's easier to load up on books on an e-reader. You can buy books instantaneously without worrying about finding a bookstore. It's easy to carry an ebook reader with you anywhere since it's compact and available on so many devices. I find myself reading books on my phone when I go somewhere and have to wait longer than I anticipated and have no physical book (like when I go to the doctor's office).

While I lament the ongoing demise of the Hardcopy book, I have learned to embrace the ebook/e-reader for its convenience.

☆readitwrite02
KVanKampen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kvankampen.html

Post by KVanKampen »

I do a mix of both! Personally, I use my tablet with my e-reader app for what I call my "easy reads". If it is something that I'll read in a day or two I'll just download it on there. It's much more practical for me to do it that way rather than going to the library, checking it out, then bringing it back the next day or so when I finished it. If it is something that will take me longer, I'll either check it out from the library or buy the hard copy.

If I want to own the book I'd much rather have a hard copy. I prefer reading on an actual paper copy of a book rather than staring at a screen. There is nothing better than looking at my bookshelves full of classic literature. However, I don't feel the need to buy every romance or chic-lit book I find. It very much depends on whether I'm owning the book and how long it'll take me to read it.
Maggies Mom

Post by Maggies Mom »

For me, it depends on the book. I really like the convenience of having what I want to read on my phone. The extra benefit of less clutter in your house is a bonus too. The times I miss a hard copy to read is when my phone dies or if it's a reference book that has different sections I want to flip to. The electronic bookmarks and highlight feature don't always work out and the highlighted section is hard to remove. I guess it's mostly a coin flip, but I think I'd pick e-books because of the convenience and for the built in book light.
Bookaholic14
Currently Reading: Life and Death
Bookshelf Size: 373
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaholic14.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B00HNOWHRU

Post by Bookaholic14 »

I received my Kobo as a birthday gift just over three years ago, and I love it. I was quite skeptical at first, as I loved the feel of a book in my hands, seeing all of the pages yet to be read, and then watching as the pages moved from right to left, slowly marking my progress through the novel. After having my Kobo for a few months, I found I had developed a strong preference for that format. There was no risk of losing my page (which would happen often when my dog would jump up and knock my book out of my hand), I could throw my Kobo into my purse or bag without worrying about folding or ripping the cover, and I loved the ability to have a new “book” at my fingertips instantly. When I vacationed in Cuba two years ago, I brought my Kobo loaded with new books. On the plane ride home I was in the middle of my fifth novel. I can definitely say that travelling with five or six paperbacks would have been significantly less convenient. I have also discovered a wide range of new authors whose books had not yet made it into print. Over the past three years I‘ve downloaded e-books, read and enjoyed them, and 6-12 months later found them in a local bookstore. I can’t help but believe that the online success of the e-book is what prompted a publishing company to take a chance on a novel they might have otherwise passed up.
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
fmpresas93
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fmpresas93.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by fmpresas93 »

I'd love to have a hardcopy. I can save where I last read, not worry about it crashing or freezing, and see how far I am in the book. I also have an ereader. That has made it a little easier since my kids (ages 1 & 3) don't know how to care for a book yet.
Charlotte_danielle
Currently Reading: The Pillars of the Earth
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-danielle.html

Post by Charlotte_danielle »

I have to say I love both. They both have different feels and work for different reading material in my mind. I got a new device that makes it super simple and is easy on the eyes to read and with deals on it, it's incredibly convenient. I also will have book urges that I need the next in the series or a book recommended to me RIGHT AWAY, and it's easy to download and begin. However used books have, like most other people already said, a certain feel and nostalgia to it. If I love a book and it's one of my favorites, I buy a hard copy of it no matter what. I also like that I can see my progress in a physical sense and can (if it's used) imagine who else read it before me.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”