EBook or Hardcopy?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Mana_Hale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mana-hale.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: EBook or Hardcopy?

Post by Mana_Hale »

Personally, I much prefer a hard copy, especially when it's a book I plan to keep and not give away - I like making notes in the margins and scribbling up all kinds of things as they occur to me as a way to keep myself actively reading (which I find is doubly good since I'm also a writer) that way I can reference the notes later if/when I need them. :)
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

Hardcopy all the way. Nothing beats the feel of holding a well loved book or the fondness of looking at a bookshelf full of old friends waiting to be read again or at least be shown off to any company that may come your way.
I will admit that ebooks do have their perks and advantages, but for me they just don't out weigh what I love about holding a good book.
Breeka2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Breeka2018 »

I love a hard copy but sometimes it is easier to buy an e-book because they are easier to carry around but it isn't the same as holding the book in your hands to read. As crazy as it may sound I love to buy bookmarks when I buy a new book because there is just something nice about buying different bookmarks for each book.
Imarru
Currently Reading: Rosario+Vampire, Vol. 6
Bookshelf Size: 462

Post by Imarru »

If I'm reading a book for school I prefer hardcopy because I can remember where a specific part is and what side of the book it is on, but I can't do that with Ebooks. If I am reading a book for fun, I don't really care if it is Ebook or Hardcopy, but I can normally find the next book in a series faster if it is an Ebook. One thing I like about Ebooks is the ability to look up a word quickly and go right back to the book, and find that I tend to look up more words when reading Ebooks than when I read Hardcopies. I also like that I can read Ebooks without adding weight to my school bag. I think that both formats have advantages and normally read Ebooks, but I tend to prefer a hardcopy if I can find one.
shanlife-2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanlife-2.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by shanlife-2 »

E books are great way but then again what makes a hard copy interesting,is you highlight the parts you like,put a bookmark if you want. You can see it in your bookshelf.They both have advantages and disadvantages.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I think those who loves books will love them no matter whether they are on a screen or on paper. I suppose it more or less has to do with convenience. The feel you get with a book (with 'new book' smell in new books and 'old book' smell in old books) in your hand just as you are reclining after a long day's work has no comparison. Yet what do you do when you are standing in a crowded bus or somewhere else where you can not simply reach your backpack and open the book you are carrying. Or may be your backpack is too heavy to carry even a really slim paperback? I guess those are what you called desparate times. And yes I prefer ebooks at those times. I can readthem anywhere, any time.
sskrout
Favorite Book: The Faith of Helen Keller
Currently Reading: Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
Bookshelf Size: 56871
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sskrout »

I totally prefer a hardcopy book as compared to an ebook any day, but if I have no other option I will read the ebook.
Rumbly
Favorite Book: Warlock of the Magus World Series
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Rumbly »

I prefer Ebooks.
I don't have room for the hardcopy books and find ebooks more convenient.
bello22
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bello22.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling
Reading Device: B01LWAM0V1

Post by bello22 »

I prefer reading ebooks. Hardcopies scare me and i get tired of reading easily with them.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Personally, I prefer ebooks most of the time since they're easy to carry around (on your smartphone) and bookmark the pages. I like collecting paper books from time to time, simply because the feeling of paper in my hands is just so calming.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
ms07
Currently Reading: You Think It, I'll Say It
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms07.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by ms07 »

I like reading an ebook because I can just pull the novel I'm reading up on my phone wherever I am, since I always have my phone with me. However, I find that I cannot concentrate on a device as well as I would reading a hardcopy. Ebooks tend to hurt my eyes after staring at a screen for a while.
Hallsword
Favorite Book: The 11.05 Murders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hallsword.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Hallsword »

I'm a bit old-fashioned I suppose when it comes to preferring the hardcopy of books. I love the smell of a book and the feel of it in my hands. I like turning actual pages. I love seeing books on shelves in a bookstore or library. However, I do dog-ear the pages as I read a book when I have to set it down and I don't like to have to many dog-eared pages close together. So the greatest thing about my NOOK is that it doesn't matter if I only have a few minutes to read or an hour to read; no dog-earing. I also like that I can read on my NOOK in the dark so I don't have to disturb anyone around me in the middle of the night.
Karen Harris
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Karen Harris »

So in love with my Kindle, I take it everywhere!
Reading relaxes me.
eezus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by eezus »

Ebook because it's light to carry in your backpack for a day trip to beach. Also, it's easier to borrow ebooks now so it's budget-friendly for broke people. Only one problem is how hard it is to concentrate on ebook, I need to flip a page!
Jnlacy1102
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnlacy1102.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jnlacy1102 »

I like both, but honestly it depends on the situation. I love the smell of a nice book and the feeling of lounging back and reading. If I am on a plane, then I prefer something smaller and compact (because I tend to bring a lot of books). Ebooks also conveniently deal with the lack of space in my small living quarters.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”