How many ereaders have you gone through?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Re: How many ereaders have you gone through?

Post by raikyuu »

I'm fine with my laptop and my smartphone. I don't need an e-reader.
-rk
Desmond Abey
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Desmond Abey »

2 kindles
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Still using my first Kindle. I got it 3 years ago, though it is wearing out now.

It is the basic model and I am very satisfied with it. With the cover and an attachable light that I bought, it is almost perfect for me.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Two. But they both still work. I have the original Nook that was a black and white screen only. I replaced it with the next version which was in color. Love them both.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
morde
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morde.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by morde »

Two at most both being PDF format e-readers.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Btowntheatregal
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-btowntheatregal.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Btowntheatregal »

I am on my second and it's not because the first one failed. I bought the original Nook paper white first. I don't like tablet style e-readers. The light and glossy screen give me a headache. I eventually gave that to my partner and now I have the most basic of the current Nooks, which does have a back light you can turn off or on, so I can turn it on really low if I read in bed after my partner is asleep. I still prefer no back light though. I love my Nook!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
BarryEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BarryEM »

I think you're a little confused. Either that or I'm very confused. :)

The original Nook wasn't called the paper white. The Paperwhite is the name of one of the more popular Kindle models. The original Nook had an e-ink screen with no light on top for reading and an LCD screen on the bottom for selecting books. The reading portion wasn't glossy. It was matte.

I wonder if you mean you had the original Nook tablet. It did have a glossy LCD screen with a backlight. Reading on an LCD screen with a backlight does bother a lot of people, although a lot of people like it just fine. I have to limit my reading sessions on an LCD screen although I don't mind doing that. I can take a few minutes break and keep reading.

I wonder if the Nook you have now might be the Nook Glowlight Plus, which has an e-ink screen and a front light. LCD screens have to be translucent to let the backlight shine through (and into your eyes) while the Glowlight Plus, as well as several earlier Nooks, have opaque e-ink screens and a coating over them that spreads light evenly on the surface so your eyes only get reflected light. This is much gentler on the eyes.

If it's the Glowlight Plus you can tell it from the N button on the bottom center below the screen which is flush with the screen so you don't have to press it but only touch it. I believe it's the only device that has a capacative button on that part of the screen. I have one and that button is where I naturally put my thumb while reading so it's always sending me back to the home page when I forget to avoid that spot. Someday I'll kick it across the room and that'll teach it!!!

Barry
hiraetha
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiraetha.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by hiraetha »

I have actually owned about four Kindles. I went through the gamut of those that were available up until 2012 (I had the original Kindle and then proceeded from there to go through about THREE Kindle Fires). Every single one of my Kindle Fire devices lost the ability to power on after about three to six months each. Finally I got tired of wrestling with them and started reading everything on the Kindle app on my iphone. I just recently bought a new Ipad 10.5 to avoid the eye strain I was getting by reading on my Iphone and so far it’s great! I do miss the feeling sometimes of reading on an actual e-reader, but I’m so used to reading on Apple products now that I don’t usually notice the difference.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

When Amazon released the first generation Fire they called it the Kindle Fire but that caused a lot of confusion and since then they've just been Fires, no Kindle name involved. This is significant because the Fire isn't really designed for reading. It'll do it and it's not really bad at it but it's designed with videos and web browsing and games in mind.

The Kindle has a very different kind of screen that's far easier on the eyes, easier even than the Ipad. This is exactly the kind of confusion that caused Amazon to change the name from Kindle Fire to Fire.

Reading on a Paperwhite or Voyage or Oasis is very similar to reading a book by lamplight. It has the light in front of an opaque screen and your eyes only see reflected light. The LCD screens on tablets, including the Ipad, are translucent and there's a light shining through them from behind directly into your eyes. A lot of people read on them anyway and it bothers some people a lot and others not at all. I can read on an LCD screen as long as I take a break for a few minutes every 15 or 20 minutes. If I don't I can't read for the rest of the day.

Barry
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

2. My iPod became too slow and outdated. Plus it was really small. So I was really happy when someone bought me an iPad to read on.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

None until now...... Planning to buy a kindle soon to read my ebooks on it
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Ika Apro
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Ika Apro »

My kindle 11th paperwhite is my first e-reader and I'd say it does its job very well. It is flexible and cheap.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”