Thoughts on the paperwhite

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
trappa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Thoughts on the paperwhite

Post by trappa »

Ive got a kindle fire and a nook, but am toying with getting a paperwhite, anyone got any thoughts on them please.
I like my fire but the battery life is poor, i like my nook but want a reader with a built in light and think paperwhite seems to tick every box.
Thoughts?
bobbirich

Post by bobbirich »

I don't have a paperwhite myself, but one of my co-workers just got one this past Christmas. He is very happy with it.

I have a Fire as well as a Kindle keyboard. I love my Fire but do still use my keyboard for backup when needing to charge the Fire battery (as you say, not much battery life if you use it alot). One of the advantages of the Fire over the keyboard though is the backlight.

Since you already have a Fire to do all the bells and whistles stuff and if you are looking for something with a light just for reading, I think the paperwhite is a good choice.
legodfre
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-legodfre.html

Post by legodfre »

I have a paperwhite and absolutely love it. I also have an iPad but don't like using it for reading. I would absolutely suggest the paperwhite for reading. It's great in sunlight (no glare and reads like a book in print), and for night reading in bed I can turn on the backlight and read without the need for a lamp and without keeping my husband awake. I've been extremely happy with it.
trappa

Post by trappa »

Thanks for the replies. Legodfre, I want the backlight for exactly the same reason, so I can read without keeping wifey awake. How do you rate the battery? I see that amazon quote 8 weeks battery life reading for half an hour a day. I read anything from one to four hours a day so not sure whether to be impressed with the claims or not.
therecyclista01
Currently Reading:

Post by therecyclista01 »

I have a Kindle and a Fire. I am thinking about buying a paperwhite also. I lime reading on my Fire due to the backlight. Maybe I will make the plunge for Christmas.
Ibanezakame
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibanezakame.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Ibanezakame »

I really wouldnt know, sorry to say, I am still thinkning about e readers.
Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music.

Jimi Hendrix
wburns22554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wburns22554.html

Post by wburns22554 »

I've had a paperwhite for about a year now. I read almost every night, usually for an hour or more. Keeping the back light turned down fairly low and leaving the wireless on most of the time I find I have to charge it about once a month. I have had the Fire and the original Kindle. Paperwhite is my favorite so far.
Ashah Taylor
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashah-taylor.html

Post by Ashah Taylor »

I absolutely hate ereaders because they give me a headache but recently I gave in and bought a paperwhite. I absolutely love it
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

I have a lot about the paper white and its amazing features. I would encourage you to buy one and tell us about how you feel, maybe you might motivate someone to buy one too
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Lildivadesi
Currently Reading: The Seven Deadly Sins of Psychology
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lildivadesi.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Post by Lildivadesi »

I absolutely love my paperwhite! I have always preferred reading paperbacks but e-readers make things so much easier! I had an iPad and the kindle app but the lights on computers and tablets and phones always make my head hurt when looking at them too long (I get frequent migraines), so the paperwhite is perfect for me because it allows me to still see the text when I am in bed at night but it also isn't shining a bright light into my eyes while trying to read! Plus I have had it since August and have only had to charge it a couple of times!
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

My mom has a Fire, but its battery seems to die very soon, whereas the Paperwhite that I own seems to stay alive much longer.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
oxymoron

Post by oxymoron »

The only thing stopping me from upgrading from my Kindle 3 to a Paperwhite is the lack of audio. My K3 has audio and can read a book to me via it's inbuilt text to speech feature, but sadly the American Writers Guild had Amazon remove that feature because it impinged on the sale of "audio-books". (even though any android or apple phone/tablet has that ability)
peorth

Post by peorth »

Get anything except the Nook!!! I have had two of my Nooks broken so easily. The screen is really poor. It doesn't function after more or less two years!
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

I prefer the Paperwhite. It gets me closer to the 'book experience' and it doesn't make my eyes burn if I've been reading for hours the way the Fire does.
Kaliarii
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H.
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Kaliarii »

Thanks to everyone here for your thoughts on the PPW! Like the OP I've been debating picking one up, as I currently use a tablet as an "all-purpose reader", but it's slowly but surely dying, and also gets used by my six-year-old for ALL of the games when we're on the road, lol. Good to know it really might be as good as it seems!

((Also, I agree with Peorth... Nooks are way more fragile than any other comparable tablet/reader I've see so far, and they just don't have the processing power to justify their price point, honestly))

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”