Thoughts on the paperwhite

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
rnraa99
Currently Reading: Call Me by Your Name
Bookshelf Size: 21

Re: Thoughts on the paperwhite

Post by rnraa99 »

The only tablets I have is an iPad and a paperwhite. I enjoy using the paperwhite because it replicates actual paper (hence the name XD) and it doesnt hurt my eyes. Plus the battery life is AMAZING, i only have to charge it once a month.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

The paperwhite is awesome if you have a hard time looking at screens for too long, or get pain in your hands/fingers from heavy books or tablets. As mentioned, the battery life is also amazing.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I love my Paperwhite! It seems much closer to an actual book to me. I don't feel like I'm staring at a screen and it doesn't have any functions apart from reading.
Rayguy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rayguy »

I love using the e-reader... I can take my ipad anywhere to read. despite the fact that I gat I charged....
Samantha Powell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-powell.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Samantha Powell »

I LOVE my Paperwhite! I've had it since 2016 and it has not let me down. In comparison, my hubby has the Fire and the battery life is horrible. It gets abt 6 hours compared to my Paperwhite's 30 plus hours. I also love that the Paperwhite is simple, it's for reading and purchasing books and it's backlit. The fire gives a lot of vibrant colors for watching t.v. and playing games, but you pretty much have to leave it plugged in to do those things or it will die on you.

If you still aren't able to deduce how much I love it, my hubby bought me a brand new Oasis (the newest Kindle that is waterproof). After using it for about a week I told him very kindly to keep it for himself. :mrgreen:
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

I also have been thinking about buying a paperwhite Kindle e-reader. But I'm still on the fence because I was also thinking of buying an Amazon fire tablet.

I want to try an e-reader, but a tablet would be nice so I could also listen to music, play games etc. But I read online that some tablets only last for up to 6 months or so, then they tend to peter out and may need to be replaced.

So, I'm not quite sure what to do. What do you think? It would be great to hear any suggestions, thanks.
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

wburns22554 wrote: 02 Dec 2013, 18:43 I've had a paperwhite for about a year now. I read almost every night, usually for an hour or more. Keeping the back light turned down fairly low and leaving the wireless on most of the time I find I have to charge it about once a month. I have had the Fire and the original Kindle. Paperwhite is my favorite so far.
I've been thinking about getting a paperwhite for a while now because my nook died and your post might have convinced me to finally do it.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I've only had my kindle paper white since May 2017, and idk why I didn't buy one sooner. Its so much easier to focus on the page you are on and I've read in dark rooms as well as in full sunlight. It is amazing!
Mackethan
Currently Reading: The Immune
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Mackethan »

Love my paperwhite. I got it when my first child was a baby (well my husband surprised me with it). It was perfect for nursing in the middle of the night without having too much light in the room for baby. She's now 5 years old, and I use it in bed so I don't keep hubby awake with a light reading. I love that I can take it anywhere without having a heavy book or 2 to lug around, I can read in any lighting conditions and I can get a new book almost instantly. I do find the store on the paperwhite harder to use, so I go to my phone to order/find books and then back to then paperwhite to read.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

I have a Paperwhite and, along with my kids, it would be the first thing I grab on the way out the door in the event of a fire in my house. That's how much I love it. I've had it for 5 years now and I've never had a problem with it. I use it all the time and the battery still lasts for ages. Go for it!
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

I have had a fire and a nook, and I currently use a Paperwhite. I do think the Paperwhite is superior to both of the other two, and the built in light function is amazing. I do sometimes struggle with how the touch screen is set up, and it doesn't always do what I think I'm telling it to do, but this is usually when I'm trying to operate it with one handle and so I'm fumbling around with it. The battery life is also pretty amazing. I definitely recommend it to anyone looking to buy an e-reader.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

I appreciate this forum! I am new to e-reading (always preferred paperback), and I'm currently doing it from my smart phone. I get insane migranes, however, and it has proven to be difficult, especially with a small screen, and the fact that I can only read in PDF format.

I was looking at ereaders online and was shocked at the price. I'm interested in the paper white solely for the fact that it has the ability to read like a book, without the intense back light, unless of course I need it.

I'm a stay at home mom, so I will have to ask my husband, but I think I am going to take the plunge!
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

My wife has a paperwhite and is in love with it. It has the look of real paper, while still having the back light advantage of a tablet. The battery lasts for a couple weeks even with heavy reading. It is a good size and with the right jeans can fit in a back pocket or can slide in a computer bag or bookbag with ease for travel. It's the best of both worlds, really.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

Paperwhite is a good value for the money. I am using it and i love the backlight and the integration of audible.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”