Have a Nook, thinking about iPad mini

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
jessmess
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessmess.html
Latest Review: "The Pool Theory" by Alexa Nazzaro

Have a Nook, thinking about iPad mini

Post by jessmess »

Currently I own a Nook tablet (one of the first versions, not the newest one) and I am thinking about getting an iPad mini instead. The reason for this being that I sometimes see great deals on Kindle books...but I can't read them on my Nook. With an iPad I reason I could read Nook, Kindle, and iBook books.

Does anyone use an iPad as an ereader regularly? Are there any downfalls?

Thanks!
Latest Review: "The Pool Theory" by Alexa Nazzaro
nagathachristie
Favorite Author: Linda Howard
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nagathachristie.html
Latest Review: "Overcome Anxiety" by Elisabetta Reist
fav_author_id: 8729

Post by nagathachristie »

I love tablets as ereaders. They often have more features than just an ereader. You also have a choice of different apps to read from. I don't use apple products so I wouldn't be sure what to recommend for apps. Sometimes unofficial apps are better than official ones.

The one thing you should ask yourself is who else will use your iPad and what other tasks would you do with your iPad. For example, my kiddy cousins all fight over the tablet for games and my aunts fight for it so they can watch their shows. You may find no time for your tablet!
Latest Review: "Overcome Anxiety" by Elisabetta Reist
Artemisia
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artemisia.html

Post by Artemisia »

nagathachristie wrote:I love tablets as ereaders. They often have more features than just an ereader. You also have a choice of different apps to read from. I don't use apple products so I wouldn't be sure what to recommend for apps. Sometimes unofficial apps are better than official ones.

The one thing you should ask yourself is who else will use your iPad and what other tasks would you do with your iPad. For example, my kiddy cousins all fight over the tablet for games and my aunts fight for it so they can watch their shows. You may find no time for your tablet!
Agreed. If it is yours alone, i'd say the Apple, but if you have to share, get a 'niche' device.
“If you don't turn your life into a story, you just become a part of someone else's story.”
― Terry Pratchett
Henley18

Post by Henley18 »

As someone who switched from the original Nook tablet to an ipad mini last month, I say MAKE THE SWITCH! You will absolutely not regret it. I loved my Nook tablet. I had it for two years and used it constantly, but the ipad mini offers so much more. Everything about the ipad mini is superior to the Nook tablet, and you can download the Nook app so its not like you are missing anything that you would have on the Nook. The ipad mini will also give you more reading options such as Amazon ebooks and ibooks.

If you like to use your tablet for more than just reading, the ipad is the way to go. There are many more applications and the software is much faster. I never have the problems with Netflix or Hulu that I had on my Nook.
ITnker
Favorite Author: No favorites.
Favorite Book: See favorite author.
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itnker.html
Latest Review: "Shadows of Damascus" by Lilas Taha

Post by ITnker »

I have owned three versions of the Nook, the 1st reader, Nook tablet, and Nook HD. Still have the reader an tablet and gave the HD to a relative. Enjoyed using all three versions of the Nook, yet opted for an iPad Mini to gain more versatility for apps and additional reading capabilities. I would recommend anyone thinking about an iPad min to go for it. With the iPad mini I have access to Nook, Kindle, and iBooks choosing where I want to purchase books or find the best deals.
Latest Review: "Shadows of Damascus" by Lilas Taha
M-Allmon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-allmon.html

Post by M-Allmon »

I have a Nook Color. I actually stopped using it once I got an Ipad mini but then I broke the Ipad and went back to the Nook. The Ipad was much lighter than the Nook. But that was about the only difference for me personally. The buying process is much easier on the Nook, which I really like.
LoveMusic_AK

Post by LoveMusic_AK »

I love my nook. I would never get rid of my nook for an ipad mini.
d_mossbu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d-mossbu.html

Post by d_mossbu »

If money is not an issue and the price difference doesn't bother you and you want the best bang for your buck, go with the iPad Mini. With an iPad you get a full fledged tablet and while the newer Nooks are basically tablets, the hardware inside them and Barnes and Nobles custom tweaks to Android make them cheaper but not the best price to performance ratio.
kelsmercer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsmercer.html

Post by kelsmercer »

As others have said, the iPad mini is a great option if you aren't worried about the money. I have owned at least one version of all of the devices and the iPad is my favorite by far. As you know, you can read book from all three apps, but there are also several apps that give you the classics for free; there's even one for free audiobooks. Additionally, it really is an all-in-one device. Furthermore, if you are looking at the tablet-like versions of the Nook and Kindle, I have found that their battery lives don't come close to the iPad's.

To me, however, there are downsides. One is that it is very hard on the eyes at night. The lowest setting is headache inducing (even though this will be the case with the tablet-like Nook and Kindle as well). The second is that you can't read all formats on the iPad through apps like Nook or Kindle. For instance, comic books/graphic novels are not viewable on the iPad. They might've changed this, but last time I tried to read an issue of The Young Avengers, it wouldn't let me. If you're not a comic book fan, or would rather purchase comics from several of the other apps that sell them (which is what I do now), then it's not much of a problem.

I hope you get the right device for you!
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

I have never had a nook, but I had a kindle that only lasted a year. I found out my best friend also had a kindle that lasted only a year. I came close to buying an ipad because I have heard really good review from numerous people about them. However, I found since I bought a laptop and a smartphone I don't really need one. My advice, get the ipad mini.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I agree. iPad Mini will give you more reading format options.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

I have an iPad mini that I bought because it was so versatile. I wanted to surf the net and have the dreaded apps.

My husband got me a Kindle paperwhite a couple years later. It’s actually much better for dedicated reading as the screen is better on your eyes and the battery life is amazing. But of course you’ll need to get kindle books.

I guess it depends what your priorities or needs are but they are both great devices.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

That's true. iPad would be one all-rounder as you can install all e-reader apps into a single device and have them together where you can choose a variety of books.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”