How to keep your place in an e-book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
twokids
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twokids.html

How to keep your place in an e-book?

Post by twokids »

I am thinking about getting a nook or kindle for e-books and leisure reading now that I have time away from school. But it is really hard for me to save my space or remember where I am on screen. I have read pdf's before and I can 'bookmark' the page which helps although it's not as easy or ideal as close a book on a book mark. Do the e-readers have a book marking feature? Do they have line guides or something?
giraffelover66
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Currently Reading: Molly Harper series
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giraffelover66.html
Latest Review: "3" by Nocomus Columbus

Post by giraffelover66 »

Most e-readers have a book mark feature. Believe it or not this was one of the main reasons I stayed away from e-readers for so long. I loved folding the page. With my Kindle app on my tablet I have the ability to touch the top of the screen and it puts a little blue bookmark on the page. When I power off my tablet for the night.. it remembers where I left off, and then next day when I turn it back on *poof* I'm back to the folded page.
twokids
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twokids.html

Post by twokids »

Thanks for the info - Glad to know I am not the only one! I sometimes have trouble moving down to the next line if I've been reading on a computer screen for too long, or the screen is too wide. It's good to know there is a feature like that available at least.

I also kind of like feeling the gradual change of the book when I get towards the end of it. I guess there is no feature for that on e-readers. =P
giraffelover66
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Currently Reading: Molly Harper series
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giraffelover66.html

Post by giraffelover66 »

There is a feature that you can see your progress in the book.. and I'm not sure about ALL types of e-readers but mine doesn't really tell me pages just a percentage of how far along I am in the story. For example, while I'm reading, I can lightly tap the bottom of my screen and it tells me that I'm 86% of the way through the story. This is good AND bad.. Good because if it is a really crappy book, I know that the end is somewhere near.. but BAD because if it is a really good book, I don't want it to end. I'm still kind of getting used to this "percentage" feature though. It's one of the things I really miss about holding a real book.

With all of that said though, I still wouldn't trade my tablet. I have 60 books on there, and I didn't have to buy another piece of furniture, or get rid of old books to store them. :)
Kimpaluch
Favorite Author: C. Simak
Favorite Book: Way Station
Currently Reading: Wicked - The Lightening Thief

Post by Kimpaluch »

I agree with giraffelover66. On a few counts. First, I read my ebooks on either my macbook pro or my iphone. But I still love reading paper books. The sensations while reading are a part of what soothes me. The weight of the book, the feel of the paper, turning pages, all these things are missing when I read ebooks. But I still enjoy the ebooks.

I have a kindle program on my mac and phone, so I read through that. It has a bookmark feature, and it also remembers my page for me. If I switch from my mac to the phone, it will even tell me the last amount of the book I read, how many pages difference there is between the devices, and which page would I prefer to start reading on.

Technology can be wonderful!

Kim
nagathachristie
Favorite Author: Linda Howard
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nagathachristie.html
Latest Review: "Overcome Anxiety" by Elisabetta Reist
fav_author_id: 8729

Post by nagathachristie »

Most eBook readers, whether they are on a device like a Kindle or on an App or programme on your tablet or computer keep their place where you left off. You do not even need to bookmark it.

I have a Kobo app, a Kindle app, and an app on my android tablet called Aldiko. I also have 10 stories started that I haven't really liked and they mock me since I know I haven't finished them.
Latest Review: "Overcome Anxiety" by Elisabetta Reist
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

I have a Kindle and the Kindle app. If you would like to see how a Kindle works download the FREE app and a free book. When I click on the book I want to read the app and will open it up on the page I left off. The app and Kindle sync together so I can use both devices for the same book. It also has a percentage left in the chapter and as well as how long it may take you to finish reading based on your reading speed. It tells you your location and page number as well.

In addition to this you can add bookmarks and notes.

It is not the same as a hard copy but it is the difference for me being able to carry, store and buy books or not reading at all
DanBR

Post by DanBR »

nagathachristie wrote:Most eBook readers, whether they are on a device like a Kindle or on an App or programme on your tablet or computer keep their place where you left off. You do not even need to bookmark it.
Agree. I have a Kindle and it always opens up where I left off. But If I send it to another device, it doesn't remember and then you need the bookmark.
Age777
Favorite Author: So many to choose...
Favorite Book: As if I could pick just one
Currently Reading: Sammi by W.D. County
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-age777.html
Latest Review: "Sammi" by W.D. County

Post by Age777 »

I try and stick with the same device for one book so I don't have to worry about transferring to another device. I find it good enough that it keeps my page for me on the books. If I want to tag a spot in the book I use the bookmark feature.
When you're wrong, your really wrong. When you're right, you're a pain in my a$$.
- by Me said originally to my hubby
Latest Review: "Sammi" by W.D. County
jack2006

Post by jack2006 »

thanks for the info..like
kaylahar6
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahar6.html
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan

Post by kaylahar6 »

Most e readers have a bookmark. I always thought that it automatically saved. :P

-- 19 Jan 2014, 21:17 --

Most e readers have a bookmark. I always thought that it automatically saved. :P

Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan
Doodahday6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doodahday6.html

Post by Doodahday6 »

Both my Nook and my Kindle have bookmark functions and tell you how far you've progressed into the book.
KirstyJ1994
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirstyj1994.html

Post by KirstyJ1994 »

yeah my lenovo tablet and my phone both remember the page I'm on.
Victoria Jayne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-jayne.html

Post by Victoria Jayne »

I have the kindle fire hd, and when I want to stop reading I just press the home button....it automatically saves the page I left off. Whether I downloaded it, transferred it off a computer, or even if it's a pdf. So....Do other devices not not your page?
ABrown48

Post by ABrown48 »

I have a kindle fire. In addition to the bookmark, you can also use the highlight feature. You can highlight a word or a paragraph in a variety of colors. That makes it easier to pick up where you left off.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”