Best book-reading apps for the iPad

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
bowie94
Bookshelf Size: 0

Best book-reading apps for the iPad

Post by bowie94 »

Does anyone have a different app that they use on the iPad in addition to the iBooks default app? I'm looking for one with a few more features.
--Angie
Jkrasy
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkrasy.html
Latest Review: "Killing Nazis" by Nikos Kalpakis

Post by Jkrasy »

How do you find reading on the ipad? I always thought about getting an ereader, but I already have an ipad, I just thought it would hurt my eyes if I stared at it too long.
Latest Review: "Killing Nazis" by Nikos Kalpakis
Cortney831
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cortney831.html

Post by Cortney831 »

Jkrasy wrote:How do you find reading on the ipad? I always thought about getting an ereader, but I already have an ipad, I just thought it would hurt my eyes if I stared at it too long.
I absolutely LOVE reading on my iPad. I use the iBooks app listed above. It is so nice. It counts down the pages in the chapter as well. I love this feature because I know if I have time for the next chapter! :) It doesn't hurt your eyes either. You can adjust the brightness too...so if they are getting tired, just turn it down :D
Phoenix98

Post by Phoenix98 »

I don't, Angie, but I haven't really looked. I am guessing iBooks is the best the iPad offers, by design.
Token conservative
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

My iPad Mini is great for ebook reading, it's paperback size and I can adjust the font, columns, brightness, etc.

Since my local library has thousands of free ebooks, I download them using the Overdrive app.
This app is free through the App Store and I've never had any problems with it.

Another one is a free library-based app called BorrowBox, suitable for ebooks and audio books.
Perhaps you have something similar?
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
zeeshanaayan07

Post by zeeshanaayan07 »

Thanks for sharing detail about ipad, ipod, iphone as well as these book.. I appreciate your thinking... This is very helpful for me
josephkeith

Post by josephkeith »

The iBooks app is definitely the way to go.
Jo Ledamun

Post by Jo Ledamun »

I use my IPad for reading books nowadays. I buy most of my books from IBooks & prefer this method to using the Amazon Kindle app for IPad. But I do use both methods, as sometimes IBooks don't have the book I want to read & Amazon does. Also sometimes there is a price difference & it can be cheaper to purchase & download a book from Amazon & not IBooks. I find Goodreads a handy app for book reviews & signposting me to new reading delights!
vovolicious

Post by vovolicious »

I'd recomend KOBO from the AppStore. It has a great look and books looks great on the ipad. :P
imaredr
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imaredr.html

Post by imaredr »

I also like the Kobo app. I also like Txtr, but I use the Kindle app most of the time.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

I don't own an iPad but you can always google up some apps that might help you...
.. Thanks in advance
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Cinderella53

Post by Cinderella53 »

Personally, think the Ipad mini would be the most optimal.
Shireenkha

Post by Shireenkha »

I really love the kindle app for reading books! It’s really not too different than iBooks but it does sync over multiple devices which is nice. The feature I love the most is whisper sync. Some books can sync with the audio book(which can be cheaper when using this feature) so you can seamlessly switch between the audio and the ebook without having to find your place each time. It has really changed my life and is usually how I read books now.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Kindle is the best. Followed by Google Play Books.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”