Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Reading in bed is a definite plus! It even works under the covers.
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

Ebooks are definitely good. You can have thousands of books in your E-reader. But still there is time when you want to hold a printed book in your hands and delight in having its weight in your hands, turning the pages and inhaling its freshly printed smell :)
Papercup
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Papercup »

I like how convenient ebooks are. The paperbacks are perfect for full reading experience. Both sides got its own perks. It all comes down on the person reading it.
JudyJo
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judyjo.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by JudyJo »

EmilyCook9410 wrote:I love my nook to death but, I love the feel and smell of a traditional copy. I want my own personal library so bad.
I know what you mean! Any time I see a film with a huge house that has its own library, floor to ceiling, I start to drool over the sheer number of books! I feel like Burgess Meredith in that episode of Twilight Zone: Time Enough at Last. That's my idea of a perfect day: get up, leisurely start reading the next chapter of my book, have breakfast with my book, have a nap with my book after lunch and fall asleep with my book when I can't hold my eyes open any longer.
...sigh....
jenjayfromSA

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Desperate. We're moving house and I have to downsize my library which fills one side of my large bedroom. What to do! I'm converting some to kindle, but some of my favourites are out of print - collected avidly at old bookshops and sale tables. Agonising choices.
kdorothy
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by kdorothy »

I would still go for a paper book. I love the the scent of a new book.
jenjayfromSA

Post by jenjayfromSA »

There's just one snag with a real book. We're busy moving so I've had to go through my (extensive) book shelves. I'm one of those who periodically reread old favourites, but my paperbacks are now more sticky tape than book. I've been trawling Amazon etc, but some are not featured at all, or are surprisingly expensive. So ... I'm going to have to haunt second-hand book sales to see if I can get better copies!
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by EmunahAn »

Definitely paper, though ebooks are quite convenient
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I change my mind about this a lot.
I'll go months with only using my eReader, and then a few more months of only using actual paper books.
I think it's really convenience for me. My eReader is more convenient, but I still prefer the feel of an actual book in my hands.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
CaseyLaundrie
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by CaseyLaundrie »

10/10 gotta go with paper. E-books are handy and all, and the convenience of keeping several books inside something less than an inch thick is great, but you can't beat the smell and feel of a good paperback. Mmmmmmm :)
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

For me I think E book has made reading in the 21st century much easier, I used to struggle with reading due to the cumbersome nature of books.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Book_lover464
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Book_lover464 »

I enjoy both. I like the convenience of an e-book because you always have it available with you unless your battery is low. However, there is still something I enjoy about holding a paper book in my hands and turning the pages as I read.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I like the feel of a physical book, but sometimes I'm carrying so much that it's easier for me to read on my kindle app.
Ju4dy2
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reading Device: B007M50PTM

Post by Ju4dy2 »

I like the convenience and portability of ebooks, but they just aren't the same as the real thing! I love the smell, most of the time, and the feel of a real book in my hands! I love putting in my magnetic bookmark to mark my place, and the feel of turning real pages! You just can't beat the real thing!
MJ HAGUE
Favorite Author: MJ Hague
Currently Reading: Jack In A Box (The Hunt for Reacher series #2)
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY
fav_author_id: 103325

Post by MJ HAGUE »

I have a Nook, a Kindle Fire, an IPad Air, and my IPhone that I use to read books on as well as the stack of hardcover and paperback books in my apartment. The digital format is great if I am out and about looking to read from more than one book during a meal, or just need more options while traveling. When I am at home, or want to do studying of a subject, a bound book has no equal. I can open it up, highlight a section or two, write my own notes and comments in the margins, and then there is the feel of paper turning in your hands. Lastly, but far from the least, I love printed books when I get a chance to meet the author and have them autograph it for me.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”