Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
heidi lafleur
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by heidi lafleur »

I prefer the paper book over the Ereaders. I just like to know that I have my own books and are able to display them on a bookshelf. I like the feel of them, and I like the way I can keep from turning towards electronics.
Evilplaidkitten
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evilplaidkitten.html

Post by Evilplaidkitten »

I never thought I would be into ebooks but the ease of being able to read at work -- or anywhere -- without a million questions of what I'm reading has definitely changed my mind!
KaylaHarder89

Post by KaylaHarder89 »

I was very skeptical on getting a Kindle Fire because I love to just sit down with a paperback or hardcover book. It is a different experience to read on an ereader versus holding an actual book. I still read paperbacks but being able to get free books on my Kindle is a great thing, a lot of the time if a book is a part of a series and isn't well known they have the first book for free and after the first book you can decide if you want to continue reading the series by purchasing the next in the series. I am very happy with my Kindle and probably from here on out get books only on the kindle versus going to a book store unless I really enjoy the author and collect the books, like James Patterson and Dean Koontz.
MarathonCF

Post by MarathonCF »

I agree ,you can't beat a real book. However, as I have not got any electronic reading devices I suppose I can't make a fair judgement. One day soon...and then I'll be back!
bookworm65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm65.html

Post by bookworm65 »

When e-books came out I was, and still am, reading paperback and some hard covers. I have paperbacks that I still need to read. I finally bought two e-readers, a Kindle and a Kobo Glo. I was hesitant to get an e-reader not being sure I would understand how to use one. But then once I got used to using them and downloading books onto them I have found them to be great! I love them! I now prefer using my e-readers and purchasing e-books. It is a bit hard to give up paperbacks as they are so different from an e-reader. There is something about the feel of a paperback book!! :) Choosing between an e-book and paperback book is something of a conflict!! :?:
TheBookBowl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookbowl.html

Post by TheBookBowl »

Paper book.. Any day of the week !! I love the feeling of an actual book in my hand !!
bookworm65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm65.html

Post by bookworm65 »

In reply to TheBookBowl, Yes there is something to the feel of a paper book in your hands. There is definitely a difference(s) between it and an e-reader. I'd say that everyone who loves to read can read either one or both. Each one has its pluses and its minuses. Now I don't know if books will become a thing of the past or not. It would be a shame though if they did. Because it would be nice to have both options. But if they did then at least e-readers are available. They are actually really cool!!!
Rebecca_TX_77006
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-tx-77006.html

Post by Rebecca_TX_77006 »

I have been using my kindle for a couple of years now and I mostly love it. It was easy to use with all of the moves through college and after college. Having boxes of textbooks was hard enough to move, it made it easier not to have to worry about boxes of paperback books. However, I am moving into a new home with a study and really wish I could have a 'library', so to speak. With as many books as I've read, I would not have a problem filling it except for the fact that all of the books have been electronic. Books are things that can be passed on through generation and I am slightly regretting that I didn't save a lot of paper books that I used to have and that I haven't bought paper books recently. Luckily there are tons of garage sales and Half Priced Books that are super cheap and are taking the edge and anxiety off of this little dream of mine. :D

So my opinion, whatever suits your needs is what you should use. If you don't have much space in your home or aren't too concerned with handing books down, get an e-reader. If you are like me and love to re-read favorites and want to hand them down to your children, buy from a bookstore. **Nothing upsets me more than when i want to read and my battery starts to go dead. Cords really limit where you can read.
Enrich925

Post by Enrich925 »

I certainly love my kindle, it's very useful. Battery lasts a month (I have the Kindle Keyboard version), is easy to hold with one hand, and it's lightweight. But, alas, it sits on my shelf unused. Nothing can replace the feeling, and smell (oh that wonderful smell!) of a real book. A hardcover or softcover never mattered. The kindle doesn't have the same feeling, or daresay, personality, that a real book gives off.
axelle484

Post by axelle484 »

I used to be an avid paper book only kind of gal until I got married. I had move across the country and I couldn't take my huge book collection with me. If you move around a lot having an e-reader is a life saver. Now, I love my kindle just as much as my paper books that I had to leave behind.
Skaka2u
In It Together VIP
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skaka2u.html

Post by Skaka2u »

I'm so torn with this question. Both have valid purposes and points. For me, e-book is convenient and saves space in my purse. Let's be real some of the books these days are quite lengthy and take up a bit of space in the handbag... ladies don't you agree :)

But on the other hand sometimes I want to physically hold the book I am reading. Have the "real" feeling of flipping the page, not just a simulated gesture. But I must admit I have converted most of my books over to the e-book application on my iPad. The only physical books I own are the ones that are signed by the author.
Shachee
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shachee.html
Latest Review: "A Love To Die For" by Sreejan Guha Niyogi

Post by Shachee »

Inspite of being young and an IT professional, I just cant seem to enjoy reading ebooks as much as the paperbacks :) Nothing can compare the feeling of turning pages or opening the bookmarked page :) But I agree that if one travels a lot, it definitely makes sense to read on kindle or such ebook readers :)
Latest Review: "A Love To Die For" by Sreejan Guha Niyogi
thomaswilson

Post by thomaswilson »

I am in favor of eBook. portability is a feature which I fond most. whole library you can carry with a single devices.
breebee
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breebee.html
Latest Review: "Dusting Down Alcudia" by D A Nelson

Post by breebee »

I fought the whole reader/Ebook thing for a long time. I love the smell of books, especially old books and I have 3 bookshelves full of them. My boyfriend got me a kindle for our anniversary so I finally gave in and used it to see what the hype was all about. I still read my paper books, as I have many still left to read for the first time, but having the reader is definitely convenient. I take my reader everywhere with me and usually have at least 1 paper book as well when I have the room in my bag. I traveled to Italy this summer and I was able to have my reader with me and have a choice of several books to read. I read several books at one time most of the time and it's much lighter and convenient to have them all on the reader. I will never fully give up my paper books but I can see the benefits and appeal of both.
Latest Review: "Dusting Down Alcudia" by D A Nelson
nagathachristie
Favorite Author: Linda Howard
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nagathachristie.html
Latest Review: "Overcome Anxiety" by Elisabetta Reist
fav_author_id: 8729

Post by nagathachristie »

I love both. I guess I'm not a big enough bibliophile like my sis that has a living room wall full of bookshelves, with books doubled up + bedroom boxes worth of books. I tried to introduce her to ebooks so she wouldn't carry 3 books with her on her daily commute.

I love both. With ebooks I can carry thousands of books in the palm of my hands. There are some great authors that are not published by paper. I can roll around bed with my ereader (in my case, my phone) easily, and it has a night mode (light font on black screen) which makes it great for reading at night and not disturbing anyone. Also, I live in a really small house, and having a lot of books is not a good idea for high density areas...
However! I usually buy books in prints if they are my favourites. I have bought many print books that I have read first in ebook form.
Latest Review: "Overcome Anxiety" by Elisabetta Reist

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”