Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
linkonsat
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by linkonsat »

For me personally, while Ebooks are useful they have never managed to match a physical book in my hands. I find that it is much easier to get immersed in a book when I don't have the distractions or stimulation of the device. It is also hard to describe, but I immensely enjoy the feel of a physical book in my hand. Not to mention a paper book will never have to be charged. A paper book wins any day for me.
Mustapha Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustapha-maryam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mustapha Maryam »

Ebooks are simply the best. You get to read them even when it is dark and they are compact. You don't need the extra luggage of paper.
Human314
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-human314.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Human314 »

Whilst I do appreciate the convenience of an eBook, nothing can ever replace the book. There is nothing quite like spending an afternoon in an armchair with a good book. I also find that I read at a slower pace when using an eBook.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I love seeing my favorite books lined up on the shelves at home but I often use my kindle to read books I'm not totally sure about. If I love a book or series I'll purchase the paper copy after already owning the ebook version to further support the author. I like having a kindle book queued up on my phone for when I find myself unexpectedly with free time like in a waiting room or sitting passenger in a quiet car ride.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

Ebooks are way cheaper so I'd go for them, especially if I'm not yet sure if I'll like the book or not. I only purchase physical copies of books written by authors I really love.
djknott1
Favorite Book: Ceremony of the Innocent
Currently Reading: The Widow of the South
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djknott1.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by djknott1 »

I have never finished an ebook. Looking around my home and my library checkouts, I have to say I prefer paper books!
oksiclean

Post by oksiclean »

I prefer a paper book over an EBook. I enjoy being able to see how far I am into a book and it makes me feel quite accomplished. An EBook may tell you the page number or how many pages you have left, but it doesn't give you the same feeling as a book does. I do think I've had some issues with paper back since they easily can get worn or torn which is frustrating, coming from someone who doesn't like creases.
jennawash
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by jennawash »

I love reading old paperbacks. I love the smell. I love the feel of the paper, especially if you get the pages wet ( I read in a hot bath most nights) they never go back to being flat and it's almost as though the pages have truly come to life. However, since becoming a reviewer and proofreader, I would never be able to keep up with my reading if I didn't have my Kindle Fire. I use my Fire tablet and my phone to read wherever I am. It helps me keep up with my workload.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I agree with you. There is nothing like the feel of a book in your hand or the smell of one! But in some cases ebooks seem to be cheaper and easier options. There are multitudes of free ebooks avaliable, just waiting to be downloaded. Another thing is you can read it anywhere any time. I can actually carry most of my library with me wherever I go!
apwaldrop
Currently Reading: The Diary of a snoopy cat
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by apwaldrop »

I love being able to read online but nothing and I mean nothing beats sitting down outside on a nice day with some iced coffee and a good book. Paperback or hardback is fine. It reminds me of the Alice in Wonderland animated movie where Alice is just under the tree discussing lessons surrounded by flowers. It is simple and perfect. For on the go during the day I enjoy using my kindle but for being able to sit somewhere and enjoy I prefer being able to actually touch and turn paper pages.
sskrout
Favorite Book: The Faith of Helen Keller
Currently Reading: Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
Bookshelf Size: 56871
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sskrout »

Perhaps I am old school, but I do prefer a physical book to an ereader, but will read an ebook if nothing else is available.
bethanieellis

Post by bethanieellis »

Honestly, I prefer paper books or actual books. I think reading E books messes up your eyes and isn’t healthy for them. So I prefer paper books. There is also just something more pleasing about a paper book. I don’t know what it is but I love them.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

bethanieellis wrote: 06 May 2018, 23:41 Honestly, I prefer paper books or actual books. I think reading E books messes up your eyes and isn’t healthy for them. So I prefer paper books. There is also just something more pleasing about a paper book. I don’t know what it is but I love them.
Paper books are magical, right? There is something about it that actually makes it more appealing. I agree too with the fact that reading ebook is unhealthy for the eyes. My eyes are always tired from reading small texts via my phone.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
yellosteel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by yellosteel »

I love it whenever i have a book with me. I view it as a companion. E-reader has its own merits though, but it's nothing compared to a paperback.
Aixa Miller
Currently Reading: Wicked Designs
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aixa-miller.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Aixa Miller »

I love both. I have more than one bookshelf at home and I love to curl on the couch with a good book, but when I'm out I love to read on my phone. Sometimes I have the book on my kindle and paperback.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”