Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by Dan_Wellock »

For my entire life, cracking open a dusty or new paper book has always been so special to me. Nothing can ever replace the feeling of mystery that is felt when I see a collection of pages, and I wonder “What experiences could be hidden in those pages?” The new world is looking for ease over the experience, but in my opinion, there is no better experience than reading from a paper book. Nothing can ever replace that, and I am sure there are others who agree with me.
Thus, my answer is definitely paper books over ebooks.
MissUnderstood1
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missunderstood1.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by MissUnderstood1 »

In my opinion, ebooks should never replace traditional hardcover and paperback books. But, for a person with physical limitations like me, the option of being able to access books electronically allows disabled people the opportunity to enjoy reading. For some people, reading a paperback book is either an extremely difficult or impossible thing to do. Without ebooks, we wouldn't be able to read written books without a great deal of assistance. Personally, I'm grateful for ebooks. I lost my ability to read paperback books five years a ago. It wasn't until three years ago that I was able to use a laptop again. That's when I got the Kindle desktop app and continued my love of reading.
Olive Books
Currently Reading: The McCoys Before The Feud
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olive-books.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B0051QVESA

Post by Olive Books »

I love having my bookshelves filled with books. The smell and feel of a book is lost with e-readers. You don’t get to really enjoy the cover art either, which has lead me to browse the same books over and over. :doh:
But I was gifted an old Nook from a family member and an old Kindle from a friend. I use the both and you would be hard pressed to find me without one of them near by. I have more books on just one of them then I could ever have bought on paper; and as others have stated I found new authors only because they had free e-books available.
So in the end I believe both will always have a home in my library.
Jolan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jolan »

Definitely paper book. Nothing like holding the book in your hand and flipping the pages. And don't get me started on that new book smell!!! :romance-heartsfade:
Sofia____
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Sofia____ »

I tend to like paperbooks more than anything in the world. You connect with the book alot more with the beautiful cover, the smell (oh my word). You feel as if you are in the world you are currently reading.
bespectacledpetal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bespectacledpetal.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by bespectacledpetal »

Both for me. I love my kindle but sometimes I need that new book smell 😊
Shhhh I'm reading :techie-studyinggray:
Sweeta123
Currently Reading: B-Side
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Sweeta123 »

A nice good paper book would be nice... I love paperbacks...
lea_aluie

Post by lea_aluie »

I love paper books more mainly because it helps me sleep easier and relaxes my eyes. Also, in a very weird way, I feel more connected to a good book when it's a paper book and I could easily share it with a friend as some don't own a Kindle. The e-books are very helpful when you really want to read a certain book and it's not available in bookstores yet.
Anna1512
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna1512.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Anna1512 »

I know that ebooks are more ecologic, but I absolutely love books! I love to turn pages, to watch the cover and to have all my books on the shelves. Moreover I think that with the ebooks it's more difficult to remember at which point of the plot a specific event happened, with a paper book I easily remember if I have read a lot/a few pages before the event.
Brittmarie727

Post by Brittmarie727 »

I have a kindle and don't get me wrong I love it, the access to all the free books and everything. But I love the smell and the feel of a real book. I love having a collection of books.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

Nothing compares to a good old book you can curl up with. But an ebook is just so convenient. Especially when you're travelling and don't know what you'll end up being in the mood for! Atleast this way you have so many books with you without the added weight.
Valar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valar.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by Valar »

I love to read the hard copy of any book.
" The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go" - Dr. Seuss
JuliN

Post by JuliN »

I feel that you can enjoy paper books a lot more , but i agree that we are in a new era where tecnology has taken over the world, and we can now have books even in our phones which sometimes can be a lot easier to carry around with you since it doesn't occupies that much space and you can read it wherever you are.
jorgea

Post by jorgea »

You're right. Ebooks can never ever really replace a paper book; it's not the same thing.
Tahahiro23
Currently Reading: Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Tahahiro23 »

I am personally up in the air on this one. I used to hate using e- readers because I would prefer the feel of the physical copy. Multiple reasons: it had a certain smell that was calming to me, it was physically there and I didnt have to depend on a battery to keep from losing anything or a electric error.

However, now that I am older I am starting to learn to enjoy the e readers. I still prefer the physical copy, but when you have a baby and can't read in the dark, the e reader is the best thing to have. Especially on those notes that your child is asleep and you're not able to do so.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”