Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Tfree
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 65

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by Tfree »

I love reading both, and I read more ebooks (with a Kindle reader on an iPad) more than paperbacks for two reasons: It's easier to read in bed at night while my mate is asleep (no reading light needed and less noise made), and I like to borrow ebooks online from libraries, using Overdrive.
AJamie
Favorite Book: The Smart One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by AJamie »

I love reading both also but I'd prefer eBook. It is easier to handle and easy access to more than one book at a time.
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

Before I got my Kindle, I would have defended paper books to the death. But last February we had a small house fire in our office and lost over 1,000 books. My partner got me my Kindle this February and I'm not sure I could buy another paper book again, if there was an eBook option for it.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I think they each have pros and cons. For me, ebooks are simply easier and cheaper to source. Ebooks are also more portable. The feel and quality of holding an actual book, however, is simply amazing.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

I love both! I worked a few years in a bookstore where we promoted ereaders and I adore the convenience of them. Like all of us here, I'm an avid reader and purchase books like crazy. My physical collection takes over two rooms in my house, but I can't take them everywhere with me (though I want to), so I enjoy having my device and all it holds when I'm on the go.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

I like both for different reasons. I like the feel and smell of a print book. Also, if it has a good cover then I might buy the printed version since it's like art. But ebooks are easier for traveling, commuting and now kindles are good for taking notes. I have different periods when I prefer one or the other, I preferred ebooks when I was in school because they are cheaper and easy to organize notes. Now, I prefer print unless I can save a good amount on the ebook or I'm traveling.
wsk9227
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by wsk9227 »

I read a mix of fiction and non-fiction. Walking into a bookstore, library or a discount bookstore is my favorite way of viewing and obtaining books. We live in a device world. I took a trip by bus a few years ago and I looked up and down the aisle of the bus and everyone was staring at their devices and not the beautiful scenery from their window. For many years, my purse and a current read goes wherever I go. Not every book is a keeper. Some books are better suited for shelving paper. I love the feel of a great read tucked under my arm and the mental promise that I will be getting back to the bookmarked page after I finish work.
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

I love physical books but readers have their charm too, specially if you use Kindle you can have it literally everywhere if you need and sometimes when I'm expending my whole day at uni and am already loaded with textbooks Kindle saves my life
samiam013
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samiam013.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by samiam013 »

Paper books most definitely. Nothing ignites the senses quite as much as the feel of the pages between your fingertips, that smell of a new book that all avid readers recognize, the sight of the typed words on the page, and the sound of the turning of a page. Oh, and of course opening a brand new book for the first time and hearing the binding give a bit. An E-Book just does not stimulate the senses in the same way nor bring back childhood memories of trips to the library weekly to pick out books to read for the week. The excitement of walking into the library and looking through shelves of new books, genres, and authors will never be replaced by the experience of choosing E-Book's online in my mind. Yes, E-Books are convenient, but there are so many attributes that make paper books so much more preferable as you can see.
"Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything". (Plato) :reading-7:

Smiles are contagious! Infect someone today! :D
efa2009
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by efa2009 »

All paper books. Most of them bought second hand
abbu360
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by abbu360 »

eBooks of course. There are a whole lot of advantages with using a Kindle or anything similar over traditional books. Built in dictionary, Capacity to hold thousands of books, E-Ink display that doesn't hurt like light emitting displays, Ability to change the font size and family, getting thousands of public domain books like Alice's adventures in Wonderland and Sherlock Holmes for completely free of cost legally, ability to take our whole library with us anywhere in such a small device and read anywhere. I read even if I get as small as a 10 minute break.
Jmar_la
Currently Reading: Toxic Side Effect
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmar-la.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Jmar_la »

I like both. I began using Kindle when I was traveling a lot and did not want to take a whole lot of books with me, due to so much room taken up in my luggage. I continue to use it now that I am not traveling so much and still enjoy using Kindle. Another reason I like the e-reader is that I can make the font comfortable for me who has needed the larger print, and sometimes printed books do not come in the large print. I like that I can find a style of font that looks good to me and helps in the enjoyment of the book. I do, however, also love the book I can hold in my hands and turn the pages myself. I will use either one, because I enjoy reading books.
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

I love paper books but i have read most books through e-book format because they are easily accessible and financially suitable for me.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
Bri_0927

Post by Bri_0927 »

Personally I prefer the paper copy. Something about going to the library or bookstore to pick out my next read and then curling up on the couch makes me so happy. I like to be able to physically flip the pages and see my progress with a paper copy. Plus my eyes start to hurt when I stare at a screen for a long time. I also think that reading is a great escape from technology. That’s why I prefer a paper copy.
Kenzie007
Favorite Book: The Dream Thieves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Kenzie007 »

People say ebooks are nice for traveling and they don’t take up any space, but there’s just something about having a physical copy of the book that makes it so muchkre enjoyable to read. Seeing someone’s favorite books on their shelf simply by seeing which bindings are falling apart. The smell of a new book. The sound of the page being turned. Nothing beats having the physical book.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”