Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Tbogdon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by Tbogdon »

I use to be all about paper books. Now I love my kindle. I can read after my husband goes to bed. If I wake up early I don’t disturb him. Best of all if I am reading a series I don’t have to run up to the store for the next one.
Feliceness
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feliceness.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Feliceness »

:reading-6: I don't mind an eBook. They are great to take anywhere and easy to read in the dark. But there is nothing like the smell of a book, the feel of a real book, and knowing that you can turn the page at the climax of suspense and not have your battery die.
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

I love the feel of a good book in my hands, it's just not the same looking at a screen.
Eby30
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eby30 »

E-book readers are great, but in a case where you have issues with your phone and you badly want to finish that book, the old fashioned way is better.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I use both. I used to be one of those people who would only read print books, until I discovered it is a lot easier to read a book and eat on break by tapping a screen instead of balancing it open in own hand and possibly spilling food over it, or dropping it in my plate. So all my books I read on break are ebooks. If I start a series as an ebook though, I'll continue the whole series as ebooks.
franchescapeppercat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franchescapeppercat.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor: Vampires by RK Wheeler

Post by franchescapeppercat »

I am a fan of both e-books and physical books. I think that both have their pluses and minuses, I would rather have a e-book when I am commuting or traveling, but nothing can replace the feel of cracking open a new book.
Warming++

Post by Warming++ »

Im all in for the real paper book. The smell of paper and all, its not the same with Ebooks,- for me at least.
Mackethan
Currently Reading: The Immune
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Mackethan »

Love my ebook. I started with the first edition kindle and now have upgraded to the paperwhite. I love that I can keep thousands of books without filling upy whole house. We do still keep paper books for the kids and some of our favorites (ok, a lot of our favorites). For me, I like to read in bed when my hubby is sleeping so with the paperwhite, I can still do that and not have a light on, keeping him awake.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I don't think anything can ever beat a traditional paper book, but I use my ereader a lot because it's more environmentally friendly than paper books!
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

I look the smell of new books and how it feels in my hands. But, I read a lot of books and move a lot due to work, so , I prefer ebooks for the advantage of easy mobility and not having to get rid of old books every time I move.
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

I prefer both. I like to read paperback when I'm outdoors or when my phone's out of battery.
Artemhealth

Post by Artemhealth »

I like physical copies. I am an avid reader, as well as my day's work, and my writing career, which reads a lot on the screen. It's ruining my eyes. I'll take a copy of the paper on any day.
Cowgirl87
Currently Reading: A Police Action
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Cowgirl87 »

I like reading paper back because I can not stand staring at a small screen for way to long. Having a paper copy I can mark my so if I need to I can come back to read it later. The only time in would read an e book would be if I have to go with my daughter to the hospital or doctor office or some place I can not carry an actual book
Thuard55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Thuard55 »

The beauty of a good book...and really not trying to criticize ebooks or even audio books but especially in this day and age, turning the page (literally) is magical. Flipping the last page over is usually deeply satisfying and somewhat devastating at the same time (I NEVER WANT THEM TO END!).
This includes even the books that you have to slave to get through. I may be a little OCD because once I've started a book, albeit good, bad, or even terrible... I have to finish it. Do I do this with movies or even television? Absolutely not. I find myself dedicated all the way throughout a book whereas a show is all to easy to flip the channel. Why is this, I wonder. I have my suspicions but ultimately it is the end-all reward I feel after closing that back cover. Again, good or bad I pride myself in getting through AND HOPEFULLY gaining some insight, knowledge, or overall life lesson I have gained in finishing the story.
Being in the cusp of the millennial generation I strongly believe we have forgotten the lost art of 'cracking open ' a book, turning off the electronics, and cuddling up with your kitty with a soft breeze in the window and beautiful prose in your mind. Maybe even a hot chocolate with marshmallows...but hey, that's just my opinion.
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Post by Adair McClain »

I think I will always love a bound book more than an e-book, but I've grown an appreciation for my Kindle in the last few years. I even upgraded my Kindle of ten years to a Paperwhite this passed Christmas. Part of my love is that my library recently started offering use of the Overdrive app where I'm able to borrow unlimited e-books from Kentucky libraries. I've come across several that aren't available at my own library. And I've been able to save a little money in the process.

There's still nothing like a good old fashioned book, though.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”