Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by Vscholz »

I have always been a huge fan of reading and my bookshelves are overflowing. I never thought I would consider getting an ereader because I love the feel and smell of books. From 2006-2011, I worked for Waldenbooks/Borders. I had a customer bring in a Sony Reader Touch to return (nothing was wrong, it wasn't compatible with something or another). It was red and beautiful. We were supposed to damage it out or return it or something (I don't remember because that was years ago) but it called to me. It was so pretty! I bought it and loved it. It had a stylus so I could make notes on the pages (Kindle also has the option to take notes but it is different), which I really liked because I got my degrees in literature so writing on the text is acceptable. Unfortunately, it eventually died right around the time Sony stopped making their Readers. I ordered a replacement off of eBay--same model and everything. It didn't last long, so I had to find another solution.

I have had a Kindle Paperwhite for just over three years now. I love it, although probably not as much as my Sony. I have it in an Otterbox because I am clumsy (I dropped it within the first week of having it) and it has been through quite a bit. It usually stays on my nightstand so I don't put the outside cover on to protect the screen, which is NOT a good idea. My Kindle has some spots on it where the screen has cracked but it still works perfectly fine.

This adventure in ereaders has saved me quite a bit of money. I have tendencies to forget to return books to libraries, but ebooks help as they are automatically returned. I also have Kindle Unlimited because I do read so much (I got it because I was reading Amanda M. Lee's Wicked Witches of the Midwest series and didn't want to wait a month to read each book). I still buy a lot of physical books, but those are usually the ones that I want to have on my shelf, ones that I will revisit, or ones that I intend to use for research. I find that physical books are comforting and best for research purposes (I recently finished my dissertation), but I prefer ebooks for my "junk" reading--by "junk" I mean pure entertainment that I will likely only read once.

I love that Kindle and GoodReads are connected so I don't have to remember to log in to GR and update my bookshelves as frequently because the Kindle automatically reminds me when I start/finish a book.

I also read a lot of comic books and graphic novels, but those are best read on paper. I don't have a tablet or read on my phone because of the backlighting, and while those devices do provide color, I wouldn't read comics on them (unless that was the only option) because I try to avoid as much eyestrain as possible while I am reading.
naomiwangari
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by naomiwangari »

Ebooks all the way :D :D :D :D
Vreena

Post by Vreena »

For me ebooks are more convenient as most of them are available for free and can be stored in my phone without much hassle.
KLdupree2002
Currently Reading: A Book Without Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kldupree2002.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by KLdupree2002 »

A regular physical hard-back or paper-back book.
EllieAfter
Currently Reading: The Atomic City Girls
Bookshelf Size: 1140
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by EllieAfter »

I have always been a die-hard paper books reader. I have a massive storage closet overflowing with books read and to-be-read. I never thought I would join the electronic age and get an ebook. But.....a few months ago, I came across a great deal on a Kindle fire and bought it. And I love it. I love browsing for free and cheap books to download and watching my collection grow on this amazing little device. I love the convenience of carrying it around and fitting it into my bag.

I will always be a paper book girl at heart, but now ebooks have captured a small piece of me.
iQuartz_

Post by iQuartz_ »

Honestly, I do like ebooks, but I’d rather have a book in my hands. Something about turning the page by hand instead of a click of a button or the swipe of a finger is Mesmerizing
taffylee81
Favorite Book: King of Ashes
Currently Reading: Scales of Empire
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taffylee81.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by taffylee81 »

I much prefer a real book, and have a heap of them. The only reason I don’t mind ebooks is if I’m going away or on a plane, especially with my son, as I don’t have to lug a bunch of books along. Kids books can really eat up space in a bag, and then there is more variety.
Invinciblecsp100

Post by Invinciblecsp100 »

Ebook Is The Way To Go. It Give Us The Opportunity To Lay Hold On Information Quickly
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

I prefer electronic formats, mostly so I can carry around many books at one time.
tochicat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tochicat.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by tochicat »

Seeing a paper book on a shelf, my shelf, that I haven't read in a long time or at all is one of the most cherished feeling in the world to me.

I would pick a paper book over an ebook any day of the month. I don't know, maybe it's the nostalgia of it - I doubt children of generations two decades from now will understand the appeal of a paper book.

With an ebook, the strain of staring at a screen and stiffly flipping pages with a finger are terribly unpleasant.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

In the beginning, I did not particularly care for the ebook readers myself. I like the idea of curling up with a good book as well but, now I have come to really like my kindle or really liked my kindle since I recently broke it and now back to reading e-books via laptop. But, although, traditional books are great I also have come to really enjoy the convenience of my book reader.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I'm old-school when it comes to books. I prefer to curl up with a paper book. I love the smell, the pleasure of holding a book, and the whole psychological atmosphere of coffee and paper scent.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I'm undecided but I'm considering a Paperwhite.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I definitely love the feel of a proper book - something about it just makes me feel cosy and warm like I'm snuggled up indoors reading whilst it's raining outside, or reading whilst sat in the sunshine.
I will admit though that ebooks are very handy. Cheaper, more convenient (as I am happy to read on my phone), and they save a lot of space. I can read on my journey into work without having to carry anything extra which is definitely a bonus.

I will always buy proper books when I can (and when I have the space on my bookcase) but I tend to read ebooks more now.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
Janet Bragg
Currently Reading: Find Your Happy
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-bragg.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Janet Bragg »

I often hear book lovers stating their preference between books and e-readers, and I have to declare that I enjoy both versions. When I lead a book discussion group, I find I prefer a physical copy of a book; it makes it easier for me to use sticky notes to mark a discussion topic and make notes to myself. It also makes it easier to direct group members to the chosen passage. Many readers in my circle have not yet converted to e-reading.

For some time I have been using my Kindle and other e-readers to read a book selection, but have not yet completely mastered the features of the e-reading tools. The e-readers are wonderful for those of us who need large print or light illuminating the text. I am now developing skills by using the notes feature and taking advantage of the dictionary.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”