Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
ruishigan
Currently Reading: Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish
Bookshelf Size: 15

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by ruishigan »

Ebook. I used to own 300-400 books. After my third move, I kept only my favorites and donated the rest. I'll buy my favorites, but I'm not interested in owning books that I think are average or below average.
kj069715
Currently Reading: To Kill a Mockingbird
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by kj069715 »

Totally love having the physical copy in my hands. It’s nice to be able to see how far you have left in a book, whereas a kindle is more difficult. There’s also nothing like walking into a bookstore and smelling that “new book smell.”
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I personally cannot let go of paper book and, for me, the more worn the book the better. Many book lovers revere the intact spine and pristine pages but I am the pariah that loves the grime. A used book tells its own story along with the author's tale. For me a pristine book symbolizes an uninteresting book, a book that isn't worth reading. A dog-eared, stained, bottom of the bin book signifies it's been read over and over.

I also enjoy reading outside. Since the first rule in most electronics is to not get anything near it's buttons or seams...they're really not best for a day out in the elements.

I do however admit that an e-reader is preferable to packing 5 novels into an already overweight bag when preparing for lengthy vacations.
R_Ras_Sak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by R_Ras_Sak »

There's something about the weight of it, the woody vanillin smell, the rustic earthy texture of a book. Despite it's fragile nature to burn or tear, there's just something extraordinary about holding a book in my hands. There's a reward that I can't quite explain... Anyone feels the same?

So yes, I'll jump for a printed copy any day.
dasanione1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dasanione1 »

I get why some people would choose ebook, because it is convenient when you're on the road. Also not sure about everyone, but I tend to read faster with an ebook. However, I've recently went back to reading the 'real thing'. There is just something more satisfying about holding the actual book in your hands and turning the pages. It is especially satisfying if own the book and you can fill up your bookshelves.
kazira antonnette
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by kazira antonnette »

ebooks are the best because they reduce bulkiness and one can readily access them
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

In my opinion there is no such thing as a paper book, the touch, the smell ... but every time I'm more of an eBook fan, because of its comfort and the number of books I can carry in it. Every time there are better eBook readers. Anyway, you can have both. A good collection of paper books and an eBook ereader :techie-studyinggray:
AnBarb
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by AnBarb »

I also enjoy the feeling and the smell of paper, but i feel it's more productive to read the e-book. I usually read most of my books in bed because i tend to sleep better after reading a few pages. The book relaxes me and puts me to sleep in an instant, but with the e-book i can keep on reading all night long :techie-reference:
dogsrplayful
Currently Reading: A Storm of Swords
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogsrplayful.html
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Post by dogsrplayful »

E-readers are by far more convenient - as a student who travels frequently, an e-reader is the perfect option. That way, I can have both my textbooks and my favorites all in the same, lightweight device! Not to mention reading in the dark is now perfectly acceptable. :D

That being said, there is absolutely nothing is the world like opening a new book, feeling the pages open for the first time, and smelling the ink. Although old books have their own smell, I'm partial to the brand-new ink smell...
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook
Jessie118
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Jessie118 »

E-books are very useful and convenient. However, nothing compares to having a good book in hand! Its a much more cozy and comfortable experience to be able to lay down with a book.
Kingsway
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsway.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kingsway »

Paper..that's all. I always feel good when I get to read an actual book as compaired to ebooks.screen light makes my eyes really awful when I stay sticking my eyes there for a long time,,, therefore being a lover of books,the easiest way to spend a little longer time when reading is by having the paper book.
Emmanae
Currently Reading: The Power
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanae.html
Latest Review: Discover Your Thinner Self by David Medansky
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emmanae »

I like owning physical books, but I love getting ebooks from my library. It's just so convenient.
Iluveb22

Post by Iluveb22 »

Paper book for sure! I LOVE the smell as I walk into a Barnes and Noble. Turning the pages is satisfying as well, and it is nice to visually see how far along you are. Also, they can be passed along to friends. On the flip side, cheap/free e-books are a good bargain.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Jessie118 wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 22:19 E-books are very useful and convenient. However, nothing compares to having a good book in hand! Its a much more cozy and comfortable experience to be able to lay down with a book.
I completely agree with this. I think both are so necessary to my life. I love the convenience and utility of e-books AND the joy of holding an actual physical copy.
Joanne00
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanne00.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by Joanne00 »

On one hand it's wonderful to hold a book in your hand, make notes and markings, use funny bookmarks or simply the joy of seeing books arranged on a table or bookshelf. On the other hand, for readers who like to switch between books or take several books to choose from when going out, nothing beats a device full of titles to pick from.
I'll go for the physical book though. There's a tingle associated with holding and starting a promising new book :).
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”