Can e-books replace paperbacks?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Re: Can e-books replace paperbacks?

Post by SparklingOne »

For me they already have replaced paper books. This has been a gradual process for me since 2009, a disability speeded up my conversion to electronic format so I could have a bunch of books with me without the weight to carry around. I think there will always be paper formats for books since different readers have different preferences for how they like to read. As long as people are reading, what they choose to read on should never be an issue.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Brox
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brox »

They definitely can and probably will in the near future. The Internet is bigger and bigger every day and the entire world is online, so I think books can have a new birth thanks to it. E-books are easier to write, easier to publish and easier to distribute. They are certainly my favorites in comparison with paperbacks.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Paperbacks and Hardbounds are things we may never get rid of in our lifetime. But the problem with these physical books is what to do after you've read them? You can give them away but your recipient might not be interested in your desired genre. Another thing is that books age. And the leaves become crumbly or moth eaten. No, I would much rather prefer Ebooks. On an Android, Iphone, Ipad, Tablet or Laptop. Works for me...
JAtoms
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by JAtoms »

There is a possibility

-- 26 Apr 2017, 17:00 --

One can get volumes of books on a little gadget and reading them is always easy.
Rekeshaw

Post by Rekeshaw »

I think completely replacing the book with e-books is never going to happen. Most likely it is going to stay like it is now where both e-books and books are readily available. You can't beat the convenience of an e-book being delivered to you anywhere, but not everyone can afford e-readers so books still need to be made available.
paranormalbooklover
Currently Reading: After We Collided
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by paranormalbooklover »

It is possible, but I love to hold a book in my hand. I have a kindle but i still go to the library. I get free books from my kindle and for the books that cost money i check the library to see if they have it.
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

mikeca wrote:E-books are so convenient for travel, but I sincerely hope they don't replace traditional books. There's something about the physicality of a book, the paper, print, and heft that adds to the enjoyment of actual books for me.
True, it'll be sad if we will only rely on electronics.
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Post by WestIndie001 »

You can stick an entire library in an e-reader. E-readers are thinner and more convenient too. My answer is yes.
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
TobiOrNotTobi
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

e-books will and should never replace paperbacks/hardcovers. While e-books are extremely convent, I get more enjoyment from reading when I'm holding a book. Plus, looking at a screen for a long time can really strain your eyes, and it's not good for your eyesight either.

The feel, the smell, the look, and everything else about a paperback just makes reading more enjoyable... for me at least. I tried reading on an e-book, but it never really worked out for me, because I'll end up doing something else when my original intention was to read.
"Grief is deeper when the sun goes down and memories rise up with the moon and stars." - "A Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by khusnick »

There is nothing better than a physical book. There has always been something relaxing about turning a page and book shopping. I actually just bought seven books yesterday.
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

I like both. I don't think paperbacks can be replaced. There is something so satisfying in the physicality of turning the pages of a lovely paperback book. However, I'm also a fan of e-books too. They are so transportable and it's easier to read at night.
Elia

Post by Elia »

Great responses. e-books are great however in some instances the gadget one is reading from has to be accompanied by a paperback. Case in point is with Pastors who go to the pulpit and preach. If they only carry the e-book gadget and no visible book in this case a visible Bible, he/she would not come across as serious to old school or conservative audience. So a balance should be struck. Carry both and have them both opened, though you are using e-book.
Diah
Currently Reading: One Night for Love
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: B01M0JCU9B

Post by Diah »

I love reading my books. At home I always read book. E-book is more convenient for traveling or when at work than paper backs. Sometimes when the book really good, I bought online and paper backs. Love the smell of the paper :P
MephXV
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mephxv.html
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson

Post by MephXV »

I enjoy having a physical copy, but an electronic copy is far more convenient. It just becomes a hassle trying to cite something from a digital version, or taking my tablet on the road to access my entire library (since I use a Kindle App and require wi-fi).
But, I think there'll always be a place for a physical copy (especially first editions and signed copies).
I do like the lower prices of a digital version, however.
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
AKristin
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =193418">A moment to remember</a>
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by AKristin »

I know that ebooks are very convenient because well I own a lot of them but they could never replace paperbacks. You know there's something about the feeling of flipping pages of a book and the rustling sound they make. Yeah it's all about the feels it gives when you are physically holding a book.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”