Can e-books replace paperbacks?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Re: Can e-books replace paperbacks?

Post by Kinnera »

Depends on the book really. If it's YA or suspense or thriller, I'm happy to read it either way. But if it's a classic or an old book, I just need the physicality to go through it, to give me the feel of the book.
Even otherwise, I miss holding books and turning pages, even though I don't mind reading on my phone or laptop.
The indulgence is something that cannot be replicated electronically for me.
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
Kovna Louis
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Kovna Louis »

RaeGeorge wrote:As practical as ereaders are, I really hope actual books don't become a thing of the past. I dont want to read bedtime stories to my children and grandchildren from an ereader.
For me, nothings better than seeing an overflowing bookcase, wandering around bookshops etc.
I like to feel the paper and the pages between my fingers and to actually see how much of the book ive left to read.
And I love to be able to simply give the book to someone else who I think would enjoy it.
I agree completely with you. E-books can't replace paperbacks to me.
Desmond Abey
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Desmond Abey »

i believe the answer is yes considering to sale record proof released by amazon earlier.

-- 22 Jul 2017, 18:37 --

i believe the answer is yes considering to sale record proof released by amazon earlier.
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

I really hope not. As much as convenience it is, I still like to read a good paperback.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I know that ebooks are proving to more and more important everyday, but I have a thing for paperbacks. I get a different feel when I read ebooks and it's nothing like the feeling I get when I'm literally turning pages of a paperback novel. I'll take a paperback over an ebook any day.
Daris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daris.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Daris »

I don't think they can replace paperbacks
Papercup
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Papercup »

I wouldn't want that. Paperbacks offer a different reading experience to the e-books. Regardless, this could happen when trees are not present or have been lessen in the future.
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

If you don't get easily distracted by apps and the commodities of a cellphone or tablet, then you can replace physical books with e-books.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Orang-U-Can
Currently Reading: Encephlatron
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Orang-U-Can »

No, they're less bendy
Rosey481
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rosey481 »

E-book can replace paperbacks because since the introduction of technology everyone is looking to go green and use less paper and use more tablets, laptop and cellular phones and other means to do their studies etc.
Envision Tressy
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-envision-tressy.html

Post by Envision Tressy »

No they can't, paper has been around for centuries and it hasn't been able to replace itself with anything. Moreover. Us old schoolies love that sweet scent of paper so for us it is always going to be a paperback
Her eyes were like the sun, glowing red hot in the darkness of light!
bestia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bestia »

I do see the pros of this form of reading, it is nothing compared to the feeling of pulling a book off the shelf and being engrossed in it's pages. Yes you can't read them in the dark but that's what lights are for! I am saddened by the fact that eventually physical copies of books will be hard to come by… Hopefully it won't be in my life-time though.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

I love your profile pic

well, for a while, it seemed that e-books are soaring off but Amazon statistics are recently showing that e-books industry is decreasing and paper copies are taking off as millennials are back to conventional reading. there is no telling for sure what is going to happen.
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I don't think they will replace physical books. Like many people have commented, I use both. There will always be people like us who continue to buy books in addition to using e-readers.
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Post by rcarr13 »

I think they both have their place. E-books are convenient when you are traveling or happen to be online anyway, however, I prefer to read paper books. I can read a paper book from cover to cover if it's good and I have the time. I start to get headaches if I stare at a screen for too long, and I prefer to read to my children from paper books as well because they seem to calm down more for bed or nap time if they haven't been looking at a tech device, which my son associates with games, even if that's not what the device is meant for.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”