Can e-books replace paperbacks?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber

Re: Can e-books replace paperbacks?

Post by asmaahsan »

Thankyou for adding to the topic.

I don’t follow the post anymore but you are welcome to interact here with each other.

Enjoy. ☺️
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

Totally. But not right now.

We one of the things that people like most about paperbacks is the feel of it, the smell, the ability to turn pages, even the sound as pages are turned...mostly sentimental stuff like that.

Now if we had 3D ebook readers which provided sound and smell and everything, sure, why not?
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

ebooks are nice but they can never completely erase paperback. many people still appreciate the feel of the book in their hands. it's very unique.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
smythemilie
Currently Reading: The Operator
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smythemilie.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by smythemilie »

Although many readers love the feel and even the smell of books, e-books will most likely replace paperbacks in the years to come. Younger people like reading but may feel weird or out of place if they are in a public place with a book in their hand. E-books come in handy for them in this case because no one would necessarily know that they were reading thus making them feel less awkward in that situation.
asmaahsan
Currently Reading:

Post by asmaahsan »

In my observation, the books being read most widely now are those on spirituality, self development, or Books of Faith - not for their form of print, but for their words, so now it’s no longer really important whether the book is in paperback, e form, or simply uploaded as an app on your tablet or phone.
Fleurin16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fleurin16 »

Personally, I think books are better than e-books. Is it true that in today’s generation, modern technology evolves and it literally make our lives easier and more innovated, still, no one can change the fact of being basic— simple. There are still people who want to collect hard bound/ printed copies, smell, touch and read each page. It’s also a plus factor that it’s good for the eyes, for e-books consist of radiation, as it is used with the gadgets or other electronic devices. Both can be a source of entertainment and information, it depends on a person what to use :))
asmaahsan
Currently Reading:

Post by asmaahsan »

I agree on the importance of a printed copy because personally, I don’t enjoy reading my Quran until I have a physical copy of it in my hands, in particular the one that came from Mecca for me gifted by my mother. No e book could ever replace that copy of The Quran for me.

If a book has sentimental value for you, it can’t be replaced by an ebook.

Point taken. 👍🏼
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

I don't think they will ever replace paperbacks totally, but just like cds replaced cassette tapes they are definitely more popular. The reason I don't think they could totally replace paperbacks (or hardcovers) is mainly for financial reasons. A lot of people depend on library books as it is a free avenue to attain books. Yes there are free ebooks but you first have to purchase an electronic reading device. I personally thought I would never switch from paperbacks, but the main attraction to me is the convenience and being able to make the font bigger (no reading glasses!).
asmaahsan
Currently Reading:

Post by asmaahsan »

Bigger font and no reading glasses required is definitely a point the marketing department can use in their favor when marketing ebooks.

Good point. 👍🏼
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Post by sszb »

I prefer ebooks. In fact, I am an ebook fanatic. But I have never understood why people especially readers compare paperbacks with ebooks. It's just a different configuration. As now the internet is everywhere, and it's a digital era that's why ebooks are so in. Ten years ahead there may be another configuration. The main thing is that one should not stop reading. Stop comparing hardbacks, paperbacks, ebooks, and audiobooks. Just Read and Let others read as well. Let's not complicate READING for anyone.

Cheers. 💐💐💐
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
asmaahsan
Currently Reading:

Post by asmaahsan »

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I love paperbacks, and they are definitely my preferred method of reading. However, I am also a minimalist, and I don't like to have a ton of possessions to take care of. This summer, I gutted my book collection, and got rid of about 3/4 of my paperback books, and I switched over to Kindle and Google Play. (Most of the books I donated were classics that are free online). That being said, I still struggle being able to walk out of a book store empty handed.

I think ebooks are much more environmentally friendly, as well as obviously more transportable and convenient. But nothing can beat the feeling of a paperback! Someday ereaders will probably fully take over, but until then, I will continue to enjoy a mix of both ebooks and paperback.
Ishitatanwar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ishitatanwar »

Well this question cant be answered. Paper books have their own significance and nothing can match the feeling of reading paper books. But on the other hand e-books are so convenient you dont have to carry books, just open your phone and start reading anywhere anytime. So for me, they both are different and i can't choose one
PegR
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by PegR »

Never! hahaha As a hard cord book lover it's very helpful and benefitial to have your ebooks on the go. But flipping pages, getting lost in the story. Opening the book for the first reading is to me one of my favorite things to do. Paperback will never die.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

Rigth now I'm traveling around the world. That is the main reason why I love reading e-books on my phone. Having too many things while traveling isn't very comfortable. I also like having less things. It's like the highlight of my lifestyle. So having just one phone vs having a shelf full of books is kind of my thing. Although, some books that I really enjoyed, I buy later for keeping. I don't know why... Maybe because, as someone mentioned, paperback will never die.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”