Some fact about ebooks reading

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
DanBR
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Some fact about ebooks reading

Post by DanBR »

I don't think the ratio is that extreme -- one quarter the speed of paper books -- but I do sense some slowness. It is as if the eye struggles a little more when trying to make out the fonts over the glowing background of the screen.
Tigania
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigania.html
Latest Review: "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell

Post by Tigania »

I don't find a difference in speed reading on my e-reader. Possibly a bit quicker, but I think that's due to the fact that I can make the fonts larger, which makes me feel as if I'm reading quicker because the page is shorter...if that makes any sense.
With actual books, the print size makes a difference in my speed (getting a little older and blinder every year!), but as with both types, it depends on the writing itself...rather if it's an "easy" read, or something more complicated.
Latest Review: "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell
marinemat
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marinemat.html

Post by marinemat »

I think you can read much faster with an ebook, although I have no clue why.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

It isn't so. I read on my kindle and I read paper books as well. My speed is fast in both formats. There isn't any difference in my reading. One may read slow because he is a slow reader. It is got nothing to do with the kind of format.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
plath

Post by plath »

I think I read faster on my Kindle. It's probably because I don't have to stop reading when room lights are turned off? Also, easier to hold the Kindle compared to a physical book.I do love that ebooks on my Kindle can easily be transported during my travels. However, this doesn't mean I'd stop buying the actual book.
Smitha Nayak

Post by Smitha Nayak »

In the 16th century, the world’s bestselling book was not the Bible but Erasmus’s handbook on good manners for children, De Civilitate Morum Puerilium Libellus. Written in Latin in Freiburg in 1530, it has run to 130 editions over 300 years. It was translated into 22 languages within a decade of publication.
SamiJade

Post by SamiJade »

I read in paperback form, on my android and also on my iPad. I think I read slightly slower on the devices as it plays with my eyes a bit but also I think I just get into the books a bit more when they are a real book. Maybe I'm a tad old fashioned.
morganinga
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganinga.html

Post by morganinga »

I admit that I read really quickly with ebooks but not enough to notice a difference between those and traditional books! I have not heard this statistic anywhere
arthurhate

Post by arthurhate »

One quarter speed seems a little extreme to me. I devour books on my phone and tablet. I'd be interested to get some real facts for this.
Jo Ledamun

Post by Jo Ledamun »

plath wrote:I think I read faster on my Kindle. It's probably because I don't have to stop reading when room lights are turned off? Also, easier to hold the Kindle compared to a physical book.I do love that ebooks on my Kindle can easily be transported during my travels. However, this doesn't mean I'd stop buying the actual book.
I agree with you, but I have stopped buying actual books (apart from recipe books). This is because I never finish reading them & they are more cumbersome & less versatile than my IPad/mini kobo. For example, I can switch books if I fancy reading something different, surf the net etc :D
rahul11

Post by rahul11 »

no i dont agree the speed of reading remains same for ebooks !!!
Boo

Post by Boo »

I don't really think it's a function of reading speed but I'll bet that I read twice as many books now that I have switched to ebooks!
Snoopielyn

Post by Snoopielyn »

I switched to an e-reader a couple years ago, and I find I read at the same speed as I did paper books.
pal4infinity
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pal4infinity.html

Post by pal4infinity »

I'd like to say it depends on the comfort zone of the person who is reading. i find reading on an ebook reader far more comfortable than reading a hardbound book. Though there is a certain novelty in feeling the book in one's own hand and some advocates of printed books may take it as far as to say that the books weren't meant to be published electronically as it takes away the feel of physically touching the pages and that wrinkled surfaces of paperback novels which I'm used to reading but there are a certain advantages to reading using an ebook.

1. It limits the space required for storage and you can store a whole library worth of books in an ebook reader.
2. Ease of access

Though the ebook reader is limited by its battery life and only some of them offer appropriate protection to eyes by providing retina display but we are progressing in the field and I seriously don't mind reading books virtually.
ConnectiveStardust
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-connectivestardust.html

Post by ConnectiveStardust »

I have never had an e reader and swore I would not. I swore it! Yet...I may be shifting, or am I just growing weak in my resolve? Oh no! Progress or tradition...what to do?

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”