Ebooks

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
RHYW
Bookshelf Size: 0

Ebooks

Post by RHYW »

Digital books, or eBooks offer a wide range of advantages over the traditional paper book. Imagine how much easier it would be for people if all they needed is was one digital device with all book information held within.

These books can go anywhere you go and can be read anytime, anywhere. Thought you were in the mood for a mystery but realized later you would rather read a romance? No problem, simply choose from your many book selections and read! For consumers, the problem is not the advantages of eBooks; those seem pretty clear for most folks. The problem is the choices you find with online eBook stores. As with all technological changes happening these days, over stimulation can easily kick in, making the decision process even more difficult.

ReadHowYouWant is an online book stores who publish and sell eBooks.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Provided you have a means of charging it up of course :wink:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Lakelander

Post by Lakelander »

RHYW in Post 1 has highlighted the problem with eReaders due to the vast choice of titles available in online publisher's bookstores, making the decision as to what book to read even more difficult than when perhaps browsing in a bricks and mortar bookshop. Happily the State of Oregon's 'Smart Read' reading encouragement department has the answer.
Simply select your online bookstore (I use Lulu and have found them excellent to deal with). then click on the Category of your choice, say 'Romance' for example, and in the 'Search' box type in 'Award winning writers' This way 22,500 eBooks are distilled down to less than a dozen novels which have been chosen by some of the most distinguished people in fiction literature as being the best. In effect you are letting the experts do the browsing for you. What a time saver.
There is also an additional method, if you are searching for the most recently published books. Again using Lulu as the example, having chosen a category, such as 'Romance', a display of eight novels will appear which are termed 'Staff Picks'. These are the publisher's own choice of their best and latest novels. and they should know! Again, the experts have done the browsing for you, which has to be a good place to start.
holsterj
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsterj.html
Latest Review: "One Hundred Percent Innocent" by R.S.Baskerville

Post by holsterj »

One method I've used to deal with the "what should I read next" problem is to go browse my local book store for ideas. Then I go home and buy the book online.
Latest Review: "One Hundred Percent Innocent" by R.S.Baskerville
resaleebook

Post by resaleebook »

An eBook is an electronic book, one you read digitally on your computer, laptop screen or on devices called ebook readers.
You will find them in various formats and until the industry has a standard accessible in all devices these various formats will exist.
PDF format is a popular format for ebooks. All platforms are able to gain access and read PDF formatting. So regardless if you have a PC or Mac, you are in business.
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

At first I thought I'd never want to part with paper books, but once I started using an e-reader, I loved it. So convenient for traveling. I still like my paper copies, especially for non-fiction, but I now read more novels on e-readers than in print form.
vijaykumarA

Post by vijaykumarA »

EBooks have so many advantages over traditional books.
It can purchase instantaneously without leaving from chair.
No need of trees to manufacture paper for eBooks.
EBooks can purchase with bonuses.
EBooks takes less space.
EBooks are portable.
EBooks are searchable.
EBooks shows links for more information.
EBooks are more interactive.
Resize the font in eBooks and so on.
Hyrik

Post by Hyrik »

I am amazed at the amount of books literally at your fingertips.i am delving into classics reading several self help books and listening to audio books all from a tablet.i have collected quite a library.I no longer dread down time waiting in an airport,doctors office etc. I always loved the romantic idea of a study with walls of books at my beckoning. Well I have that everywhere I care to take it.
Aloisius12

Post by Aloisius12 »

I have also collected quite a library. I will not be ale to read them all in my life, but I have a tremendous choice! Now my problem is which book should remain in desk top comp, which one should go into smartphone, which one should go into an e-book reader (planning to buy one before X-mas). And a conspicuous number of paper books from my home collection not yet read on top of it! And which one to start with? Help! :roll:
JadeBecker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadebecker.html

Post by JadeBecker »

Now that I have changed my tactic of reading by using an e-reader it is so much easier!
-You can highlight quotes you like
-Store many books on one device
-Portable
-Fast loading
-Buy a book with a touch of a button
Gerard Quain

Post by Gerard Quain »

as a writer I find lulu wonderful ,I have two collections of poetry available there, but the main problem with all sites is the reviews, if like me your not well off then your at a disadvantage to those who can pay for reviews, but as poetry is niche by nature, maybe it's a minor complaint
cresttd

Post by cresttd »

Without a doubt the number one reason I prefer eBooks is the ability to carry around multiple books. I sometimes read two or three books concurrently, usually one non-fiction, one sci-fi, and one whatever, so I have a choice of books depending on my mood. It's much easier to carry an eBook reader than it is to lug three books around. Then there is the dreaded scenario in which you find yourself out and about with only one book and, due to poor planning, you finish it. Now what? (this, by the way, is the scenario that led me to my first eBook reader purchase.) No problem, flip over to the bookshelf and choose another.
amy12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy12.html

Post by amy12 »

ebooks and cool and fun. Ive got a few for free giveaways. Some are fiction while others are on writing techniques and other topics.
Arianna

Post by Arianna »

The Ebooks are very confirtable and easy to read. these books are very interested and no an problems are required.
ShoppingMonk

Post by ShoppingMonk »

Hi...
up to today my hobby is not changed about reading books but the way only changes about ebooks..
this make me free and portable easy to carry lot of books in a single drive...and make note the strong points as my way

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”