Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Naghma Qureshi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

Physical books were my preference always until I got the experience of the kindle reader. Having a kindle reader is just awesome. The features like font adjustment, never having the need to scroll, instant dictionary, and digital notes, all make it so cool. But still, for some books, like textbooks, or research-based, I still feel like owning the hard copy.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Believe : A Poetry Collection by Denise Alicea

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

I used to refuse to read anything digital, printed books only and I loved paperbacks (for some reason hard covers were not for me) but as time passes, technology advanced and I started buying my own books I realized that both are great options. I do not know if one is more eco-friendly or cheaper than the other (how often do we change the devices we use to read? How much money are we investing in books we are not reading?) but I am, at the moment, happy with having both formats available.
Ash Subra
Favorite Book: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-subra.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ash Subra »

I love both eBook and paperbacks. But eBook is more convenient for traveling and can store more book in one device.
dealogically
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dealogically.html
Latest Review: Enlightenment for the things that really matter by Mark Gumbrell

Post by dealogically »

I like both, but for now I prefer ebooks because they are convenient and paperless. If the books I read touch me, I'll probably buy physical books as collectibles.
Lumilu
Currently Reading: The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lumilu »

I don't think question has to be seen as either or. There are benefits on both and the main questions would be which needs the reader has. I love my ebook when travelling as it contains more than 500 books is a light form. I don't need to carry with me any extra weigth and I can dig into any book I wish to read. Also, if there is not enough space in my home then ebook allows me to save space and access books quickly.

On the other hand, paper books have this special smell and special feeling that brings the feeling of magic. The image of snuggling in with a paper book is part of the story. Furthermore, the eyes :ugeek2: are not getting tired as fast (Kindle Paperwhite with 0 screen lightning works quite well also for the eyes).
Ari Quinares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Ari Quinares »

I. understand the whole environmental aspect of ebooks but there's just something about physical books that is just satisfying. I love physcial books more than ebooks but I will not hesitate to download an ebook of a book that seems really interesting, especially when going camping, a reader is sooo much more convenient
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I started being completely a physical-book reader, I love the smell of a new book. Now I have switched to e reader, it’s easier to handle collections, and many times much cheaper and accesible. Anyway, I still have some collections and sets of books that I will keep forever.
chongjasmine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chongjasmine »

For holy bibles, I like paperbooks. For classics, I like ebooks.
Uzoamaka Elekwa
Currently Reading: Best Evidence
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Uzoamaka Elekwa »

I Love my paper book a lot and would go for it over and over again, however due to advance in technology and ease of mobility without load ebook becomes the best option.
Emalee Dyer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emalee Dyer »

I love both Ebooks and paper books. I prefer my Kindle because it is small and I can slip it into my bag easy to take with me. I also like that I can read it at night without a light on to disturb my husband while he is sleeping. Though I love my Kindle, there is no substitute to curling up in my comfortable chair with a blanket, a cup of coffee, and a good old fashion book.
Donald Donaldson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-donaldson.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Donald Donaldson »

waniyaahmed wrote: 23 Feb 2013, 11:10 I know there is this hype around ebooks and readers, but honestly speaking I just don't get it! curling up with a good book, especially after a long day is my favourite thing and you just don't get the same feel with the readers. And who doesn't love a full book shlef anyway? What are your thoughts ebook or the real thing?
Paper book all the way. The only downside is I cannot drag that library full of books everywhere I go. But with ebooks, i can. But paper books takes the cake for me.
Adéla Kapicová
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ad-la-kapicov.html
Latest Review: Replaced Parts by Stephanie Hansen

Post by Adéla Kapicová »

booklvr62 wrote: 25 Feb 2013, 09:30 Well I have a fire hazard phobia,so I'm turning more and more to eBooks as more and more become available for my Kindle,even library books! I just returned one I finished last night,without even having to leave my home,(niiiice!).
I'm even starting to much prefer my Kindle over paperbooks because while reading the page doesn't close on me,and love being able to adjust the text size.
It´s awesome to read that I am not the only one! I also have a fire hazard phobia and I don´t like thought of by books burning one day. They are nice and safe in my Kindle.
Moreover, I love that I can just take tens of books to a trip, I am never short of books and my backpack can fit some clothes and not only books. But I gotta say that I love collecting books anyway, so if I like some ebook a lot, I usually buy it in paper version too, just to be able to enjoy it properly again and again.
Jae Jae 1
Favorite Book: Misery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jae-jae-1.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Joy Jennings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Jae Jae 1 »

I've read more of ebooks lately than paperbacks. It can be easily accessed and less expensive and a lot of books on the go, but I got a paperback recently and my joy runneth over. I love the smell of new books and getting a new book really makes me happy. So paperback over ebook for me
SheiDa
Favorite Book: Cop Town
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by SheiDa »

Paperbacks. If I switch phones am pretty sure most of my ebooks won't be in the other phone. Paperbacks also means I get to stare at the books all the time and know they are there for me to read. Like calling me to read them 😀. Also like hoarding books!
Renee Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-charles.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by Renee Charles »

Something about the smell of a freshly printed book just draws me nearer. I don't mind the e-readers but curing up on a window seat with the pages flipping in your hand hand whilst sipping on a hot mocha. It's different.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”