Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by raqstar1 »

Hands down, paper books are my favorite. I love the feeling of having it in my hands and knowing just how much more I have to go. That being said, I do keep books on my reader so that I can always have something to read in the event that I am unexpectedly waiting for someone or something. There are even times that I will have a book at home, on my reader and on audio so I can keep the story going even if driving!
J_D_Allen
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by J_D_Allen »

I can take my phone anywhere so reading on the bus is a must, I tend to use my ebooks quite a bit more than carrying a book.
segbabs007
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by segbabs007 »

fire disaster can happen that will cause damage to your book but u will still get means of recovering your datas kept in e-book.. Ebook is safer
tlw321

Post by tlw321 »

I am a little of both. I love the feeling of a real book in my hands and the anticipation as I near the end wondering what will happen. On the other hand, I have a small child, and to make him go to bed, the lights need to be off, so I like having the books on my phone through the Nook app so I can read in the dark and he doesn't come in and delay bedtime every few minutes.
Samathrasweet
Currently Reading:

Post by Samathrasweet »

:eusa-think: I favor a hard copy of a book. The feel of a new book gives me a certain pleasure a digital copy lacks.Although I admit for convenience sake I own a kindle
bookmommy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookmommy5.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by bookmommy5 »

I prefer a good paper book. I love the smell of old and new books. Opening the pages and getting that whiff of parchment and glue, nothing beats that. With that being said, I don't mind e-books, just the glare from the screen makes it so I can't read for long.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I love a physical copy, but I'm trying to be more environmentally friendly and it just makes sense to use my Kindle. Also I love reading giant books which can take up a lot of space in my bag during my commute, which again, makes the eReader ideal.

However, I still love physical copies and will buy a hard copy of a book that I love and that I know I will read over and over again.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

Ebook doesn't compare to the feeling of the paper in your hands but then its more handy and can go everywhere with you. And they're cheaper sometimes.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
TerraKern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by TerraKern »

I love holding a physical book in my hands, turning the actual pages, and closing the book with my finger holding my place when I have to stop to comment on a move or decision a character makes, or to just reflect. I love book marks too, lol! That being said, I do have a kindle and have some bools on it for when traveling.

While I was doing some research on this very matter, while writing my first book, I came across a very interesting article that quite surprised me! I would have thought that Millennials would prefer e-books as they were raised in the age of technology, but it isn't so.

The study showed "...it turns out that this generation of readers would prefer actual books over e-readers — maybe even more than older readers — according to a study from the University of Arizona"

The article stated the reasons as to why:

As researchers moderated, the groups revealed their feelings about ownership of physical books versus e-books. Some findings:

Because they don’t have full control of the e-book (i.e., they can’t copy a digital file to a number of devices), they don’t feel they have complete ownership of it.

Because they couldn’t share the e-books with their friends as well as being unable to gift the e-books or sell them, participants reported the items felt less valuable than physically possessing a book.

Because participants experienced physical books via senses such as touch, sound and smell, they reported feeling more emotionally attached to the physical books.

Because the process surrounding the purchase of e-books made it feel more like renting the book versus actually buying it, the participants reported feeling less ownership over the product.

Because physical books can be displayed, readers associate that with an expression of their identity to others. As such, they are more attached to the physical books.

You can read the full article if interested by doing a search for the title. "Consumers Feel Ownership of Physical Books, Not E-books"

Thoughts?
KLdupree2002
Currently Reading: A Book Without Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kldupree2002.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by KLdupree2002 »

KLdupree2002 wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 14:01 A regular physical hard-back or paper-back book.

I always preferred hard-back books, but I tend to gravitate towards both hard-back and paperback books. I am just now getting use to Kindle E-books and I believe I am warming up to e-books quite very nicely now.
khatteynat

Post by khatteynat »

For me, as grown up it has the same effect whether we use old way by reading by the paper /book or ebook.
Well it all depends on us or for where we are in the moment we feel like to read... ex. Were at home and then we like to relax then we can go to our book shelf and get a book there and read in the couch.
If we are outside or if we are travelling then we can read ebooks.
But for my opinion it much better that we teach children to read books in old way... :lol:
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I love paper book, but since it is a bit costly I settle in ebooks. But if I have enough money to buy a paper back, I would rather buy a paper back.
Rojinrena
Favorite Book: On the Island (On the Island, #1)
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rojinrena.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rojinrena »

Personally I’ve never own an ebook reader before I opened an account in this site.
I still prefer real books over screen. I’m the kind of person who thinks there is no better smell than a smell of a new book, who loves to touch and hear the rustle of the paper and I love to see my collection on a bookshelf and watch them grow with time.
ihechinaeme1993
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ihechinaeme1993 »

well, I feel both are commendable as each has its advantage over the other and none should be despised. Every avid reader should embrace e-book and paper book
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

I love the smell and feel of a real book. I also get enjoyment by looking at the books I've read physically on the shelf. It feels like you've accomplished something, and it can be a great topic of conversation if someone sees a book on your shelf they have also read. For me, it seemed having the books on display was a point of pride. I had a lot of books, and many of them were 800 to 1000 pages.

On the other hand, keeping all those books takes up a lot of space. I had a 3 year period where I moved around a lot and I have to sell the majority of my books, as I did not want to carry them around from place to place. Now I mostly stick with ereader books, though I have a select few physical books I just could not part with.

I did have a period of time where I did not read at all, since I had parted with my physical book selection. I've been giving ereader books a chance as of late. I can't believe how many good books I've missed. Well, I have time to catch up.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”