Can a man be free if he is not yet a master of himself?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
Ad_mInistrAtoR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ad-ministrator.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Re: Can a man be free if he is not yet a master of himself?

Post by Ad_mInistrAtoR »

To master oneself means existing inline with our true selves. I don't think man would be free without this.
Rob White
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Maestro Monologue

Post by Rob White »

When I speak of freedom in my book, the first thing that comes to mind for me is: "freedom from," which is a freedom that comes from breaking out of the "psychological slavery" imposed by the Intruder with its 60,000 NOs.

I believe we "are born free." It's just that, with the terrible two's and the onslaught of NOs, we've been conditioned to forget that.
Destiny Freedom
Favorite Book: The Most Unlikely Champion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-aaton.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Destiny Freedom »

Although one might think that working under someone ensures financial security, but the employer is actually in control and can decide to let you go at anytime. I think this is the reason why people veer towards working for self nowadays, they want to be in control of their finances and their life.
Many books can inform you but there's only one that can transform you(The Holy Bible). Pls don't forget to drop a comment for this review. Thanks. :D :tiphat:
Precious Oba
Currently Reading: Bluewater walkabout into Africa
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-oba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Precious Oba »

People wants financial freedom that's why they go for freelancing. Working under an employer does not guarantee financial security especially if its a private company. But a freelancer has options of working for various organisations without any attachments to them. They work and get paid per gig. No threat of loosing the job and this give them the freedom they desire. In addition, many People opted for freelancing because of how their previous employer have treated.

As a freelancer, you still work under someone, but you are in control if the job and your time.

However, you can't be a profitable freelancer if you are not a master of what you do. So, a person can't be free if he is not a master of himself.
Rob White
In It Together VIP
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Maestro Monologue

Post by Rob White »

My book is all about freedom, if we think about it that way. Freedom from the unwanted nay-saying mental house guest (the Intruder). That acheivement is a giant step toward being free to live your life as you want it to be. I'm not saying that's an easy task. For, indeed, that tenacious culprit will always compel you to think of yourself as flawed in some way or form, and that "one thought" places us behind those jail house bars, looking down at the mud instead of up at the stars.

For me, freedom is living a life of possibility after possibilities. It's not necessarily achieving all of those possibilities... but it is a state of being that has me always knowing there's another possibility right around the corner for me.

Nice conversation :) thank you, Rob
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

The job that you have is not secured as you think. By the time the rate of inflation and economic destruption hit the pick, many people will be relieved of their so-cold secured job.

A freelancer must have mastered the craft before deciding to go solo. He is not caged, he has the freedom to do as many as possible gigs as he could. And he is in control of his time and finances.

So, I will say a man can only be free if he has mastered himself.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

The question is already answered. A man who is not yet a master of himself is automatically a slave. A slave can never exercise freedom tons a greater extent. Hence, to be free, a man must first attain a certain level of mastery of himself and the world he lives in. This is important because success in life is a consequence. You can not be a slave and desire success. It is for those who have attained mastery. An individual who lacks understanding of life can never to a position of freedom.
Nedim
Currently Reading:

Post by Nedim »

To become a master is to have a comprehensive understanding of yourself. A man that lacks adequate understanding of himself cannot exercise freedom to a greater extent. Perfect understanding is necessary to attain freedom.
Nedim
Currently Reading:

Post by Nedim »

How can you be free when you don't understand what it takes to be free? Without proper understanding, you will continue to live in the shadows until you come to a full realization of yourself.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Well, to be fair, no source of income is completely safe nowdays. That being said, I believe there's nothing wrong on being an employee, and that it doesn't necessarily take away your freedom. Freedom relies on the ability of choosing to be working there without pressure.
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

The term 'freedom' is subjective especially when used in the context of the workplace. Quite true, some employers can be domineering and overdemanding, which is why some individuals would prefer to strike out on their own. So it actually begins with self awareness and understanding. If a monotonous workplace setting suits you, then go right ahead. But if it doesn't, you can always seek an alternative
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

To be totally free, you cannot have others dictating your every move. To be a master of self, you must have complete control over thoughts, words and deeds. Working for others is like being in captivity, but working for oneself is liberating.
Drmol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drmol.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Drmol »

I believe that individuals want to have control over their time because they know that if they want a lot of money, they will have to work hard and extra time to acquire it, and no one can restrict them.
Rob White
In It Together VIP

Post by Rob White »

If I would have defined “freedom" in my book... I would call "freedom" an opportunity for us to see life as myriad remarkable possibilities. Freedom is not really a goal, in itself, but rather it gives us the opportunity to do what we want to do. Just checking in again :) Rob
itsme_shahi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itsme-shahi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by itsme_shahi »

Freedom is not only dictated by the whims of this world but is also intrinsically associated with the inner conscience of a person. Thus, according to me, a man is free only in the true sense, if he masters himself and gains supremacy over his conscience. We are the best judge of our own character. So, a person who can see himself eye to eye and is a master of his own self is the one who is actually free.

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”